1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Zaru, the Ethereal

Discussion in 'Hero Ideas' started by Koxeida, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Koxeida

Koxeida Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Zaru, the Ethereal

[​IMG]

Range - Support | Disabler | Pusher | Jungler | Durable

• TBC
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
    • 17/10/16
      • Posted hero suggestion
      18/10/16Soul Puppet [Q]
      • Rebalanced puppet heroes duration from 8/10/12/14 seconds to 6/8/10/12 seconds
      • Rebalanced puppet creeps duration from 16/20/24/28 to 15/20/25/30 seconds
      • Basically, the puppet creeps last 2.5x as long as the puppet heroes
      • Updated under Notes to further clarify the skill
      • Move the ability to mark and resurrect enemy Heroes under ASU
      • Rebalanced ASU cooldown from 3/3/3/3 to 5/5/5/5
      Voodoo Curse [W]
      • Rebalanced mana cost from 150/150/150/150 to 90/120/150/180
      Death's Reprisal [E]
      • Cleaned up the information for better clarity
      Cries of the Soul [R]
      • Massively rebalanced bonus attributes gained and drain per second.
      • Now the positive benefits should remain until 6/9/12 seconds. Afterward, the negative drain will persist for another 2/3/4 seconds. The spell duration is 8/12/16 seconds.
      • Updated under Notes to further clarify the skill.
      • Added in mana cost and cooldown.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Hmm... I think that you need to review the suggestion a bit, as I can see a few points that are a bit confusing.

For example, the aura. Why is there "silence duration"? I can see in the description that there is a slow from creep's death, but there is no mention of its slow rate in detailed information or notes. I assume that dead creeps will cause silence, not slow. Also, does the aura cover resurrected ally hero? In any case, the aura is fairly weak as the number of units under your control is not many. Maybe you can make the aura global (why not?), and tone down the creep damage (maybe a half?) to avoid amassing HotD. Adding a small, unstacking slow for creep explosion also works if creep death is too weak.

First skill IMO is a bit strong. Since it can revive enemy hero, you can easily utilize their skills against themselves, which is too good in the hand of good players. I think it should be an ultimate, or you can "scale" the intended target with level. Like Level 1 on creeps, Level 2 and 3 on ally heroes, and Level 4 on enemy. Still, I have an adverse feeling against Aghanim upgrading a normal skill. I can see how you want the main effect of pseudo-resurrection to be a normal skill (which is different from normal trend).

Voodoo Curse is ok. Although the number is quite strong (6s for 80% damage reduction and redirecting it against enemy hero), it has abysmal range, fairly long downtime, and the manacost is staggering. Still, early level duration-cooldown is a bit too harsh, giving its constant 150 manacost. Mb you can change the manacost a bit, like 130/140/150/160, since the spell is quite strong at later, he can buy Aether Lens to improve the low range, and the hero is an Int hero, making the mana problem not so much of a problem.

I don't understand the attack speed/MS/damage drain. Is it the same as the health drain? Hmm, seeing the table, I think that you need to rework on the number. Each aspect decays to negative value at different rate. IMO it would be a lot better if every value falls to negative at the same time. Since the duration is 8/12/16, the breakpoint should be 6/9/12 or some sort. You should clarify this in the main description. And what is the manacost and cooldown of the ultimate?

Koxeida likes this.
  3. Koxeida

Koxeida Member

Jun 12, 2009

Thanks for the review! I've posted the suggestion in a rush so that I would be well under the deadline for the contest. Some of the effects are conflicting as I changed them last minute as well.

I'm gonna address everything that's mentioned in your post when I have access to my computer in a few hours. :) for now I'm gonna digest all your feedbacks hahaha

4. Koxeida

Koxeida Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Thanks! I've cleaned up the information for Death's Reprisal [E]. I initially wanted it to be slow, but changed it to silence. The aura will cover resurrected ally hero but not heroes who are alive. I've also made the aura global -- even though the puppets will not be staying alive if they move further than 1200 range from Zaru. I have considered stacking slow also but then, his other spells are pretty OP at the moment, so we'll see.

Yeah, I'm also debating myself whether I should let a basic Q spell resurrect the enemy Heroes at will. So I've moved the functionality under ASU. Nerfed the cd from 3/3/3/3 to 5/5/5/5 as well. Now the spell should be abit more balanced since the resurrection of Enemy Heroes is gated behind 4,200 gold. Now the spell should function primarily as a save spell for ally heroes (a unique way as compared to dazzle or oracle), or be used as jungling tool (I've also rebalanced the mana cost and creep durations).

I did not approach the spell your way (1 on creeps, level 2 and 3 on allies, etc) as I felt the short range of the spell would warrant the player to level up this spell primarily anyway. Also, resurrection at early game would not be extremely strong either way.

And yeah, I deliberately want this spell to be a normal Q spell instead of an ultimate as I want to open up different playstyle of a similar concept, which many in this contest are placing it as an ultimate spell.

I actually further nerf the mana cost :unsure2: as I want this spell to be used as a get-out-of-trouble card for the player so if he is not careful with his mana management, he would not be able to utilize it. Yeeah, as you've mentioned, I've made the other aspects of the spell weak in comparison (shitty cast time as well)

Thanks for the suggestion! I've cleaned up the drain rate of the Cries of the Soul [R]. The breakpoint for all the positive effects are at 6/9/12 seconds. Oops, I've added in mana cost and cooldown. Totally forgot about it last night:sleep2:

Once again, thanks for the feedback HHHNNNGGG!

5. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Extremely low agi, with low strength too. Glass cannon?

Soul Puppet's description is broken, I think you should be using the regular quote blocks for now. I can't say anything about duration, but it seems a bit strong.

I think Voodoo Curse is too strong, even with a small duration it is basically a blademail that also prevents damage.

Deaths Reprisal is an aura that works only for your units? It seems to be way too reliant on Soul's Puppet that's a no go for me.

Same for the ultimate. This all makes for a very 1 dimensional hero while in my humble opinion they should be versatile.

I'm sorry I couldn't give better feedback, but the nqb aren't expanding and I can't read into them.