1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Your DotA Thought of The Day

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by mapdesigner, Jun 27, 2017.

1. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Hello,

I made this thread so that we can share our little thoughts of the day. Feel free to post here anything that you wont bother creating thread for, or you think is not big enough to be a full thread. Also, feel free to comment on anybodys thought of the day and have little discussion about it. It could be strategy, item build, a tip, or anything related to dota. Also, pick at least one question from the posts above you to comment on or give insight whenever you can.

So, I will start things off:

1)I just noticed that urn change, though quite a nice buff for many heroes, it is a nerf to skywrath mage. There are not that many mana % items which fit into his item build. I used to build:
    Boot, Urn > arcane > meka

Urn used to give quite a nice asset to skywrath, and since I go for meka, the currently armor bonus from urn isnt really that significant; I'd take the old mana % over this armor for sky. the current mana +1 regen is simply not enough for skywrath. Previously it was almost enough to keep skywrath full HP and mana altogether.

2) I was thinking, why dont bristle back make ghost scepter or eul scepter to counter silver edge?

3) I think Crystal CM need Armor talent much more than HP talent. I never actually felt 250 HP is useful for CM, but 10 Armor would actually be nice, since CM never go Armor build, apart probably from the regular solar crest which all supports get (which i think is not that good for cm)

So, what is your DotA thought of the day?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    summer-penguin likes this.
  2. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    are we allowed to answer your thought?

1. urn changes indeed weird but acceptable since 50% to 1.0 is quite okayish except during the late game.. but i agree it favor non int now as far as mana regen goes.. but the stats... i love the stats more now.. especially with int and armor.

2. both doesnt actually dispell break right? ghost sounds bad if enemy have magic dmg, and nothing worse than getting a heavy magic dmg with your bristleback passive break-ed by silver edge AND 40% more magic dmg.. eul sounds fine to mitigate the duration tho..

3. yes.. she lacks armor and hp doesnt do much during that stage of game (as far as lv 15 talent)

my thought is:
    why we can make urn with 1 raindrop charge but it still take 5 charge..

mapdesigner likes this.
  3. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    All day, every day I think how people can be so delusional about their personal skill level and game knowledge.

We all know the Dunning-Kruger effect and that it's not strictly related to DotA players, but yet in them it's easily observable.

Also how people lack discipline (both in and out of the game).

In general - people behavior is fascinating - complete train wreak, but interesting nevertheless.

Skulls_n_Souls likes this.
  4. Mr. BoB

Mr. BoB Member

Sep 28, 2009
    "7.00 was a mistake"

5. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    If you're going Morph and not really in need for an early Linken's, try this:
    > Tequila Ring
    > Urn
    > Raindrops if you can.

1 + 0.85 + 0.65 = 2.5 mana per second. 2.5 * 60 = 150/min, + stats. Better than Arcanes.
    Doesn't really work if you don't get 3 - 4 kills\assists after Urn, but if you do, no regen needed for a very long time.

6. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skulls_n_Souls:
    I think that
    doesn't give mana regeneration

On a serious note, RoB and Raindrops give the most mana regeneration per gold invested and especially for low intelligence heroes. Urn is better but far more costly and not that suitable for cores with a access to a lot of gold.
    Agility/Strength based roamers and supports can build it anyway and will result in great stats for money invested, especially the armor and mana sustain.

7. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
  8. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    how does one pronounce eul scepter?

eyy youl
    yuul
    ewww

?

9. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    E, you, L
    Eul, because it's a name/nick and should be read as such.

10. Bargh

Bargh Member

Jul 28, 2009
    It's easier to win supporting with a carry than it is to carry with a support :whistle2:

11. Lanaya.de

Lanaya.de Member

Oct 8, 2016
    thats because they demolished carry entirely
    you dont say
    seriously if you are still amazed at the number of dunning kruger players in dota you should probably look at the bottom 5 winrate heroes (in 5k+) in the meta tab

it's ridiculous. i can gain 1600 more mmr with a 20% winrate advantage (over 50%) and some heroes are an entire 10% winrate below 50% (800 mmr)

"oh but it's balanced in comp"

no. there are heroes with binary winrates (1 game 1 win/1 lose) and op heroes that need to be nerfed (leshrac 5 picks 5 wins) and then there are heroes that dominate some nondescript meta like

if u still think the problem is in dota players and not the fact that the game basically flipflops instead of trying to achieve full balance

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  12. Bargh

Bargh Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I preferred times when people complained about single hero at the time instead of entire game.

I preferred when preferred method of dealing with OP carry was shutting him down early as opposed to picking even more OP carry.

I preferred when supports were considered shit late, but could wipe almost entire team with combo spells.

13. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I played no games today, but I already watched twice a couple.

Right at this moment, I am thinking about the SF.
    Thinking that he's looking... quite solid actually.
    Seeing how good he is in dealing tower dmg, moving up to their threatening zones and bashing them like a boss, styled and all, if he's w/ a team to back him up. (I don't know if PotDL affects towers though, I was wondering)
    Yes, his early game depends too much on rotations, stacks and ganks from both his and his enemies' supps. But I'm digging it.

I'm also thinking about a hero suggested by me, Lass... she's quite short in that departament, dealing tower dmg, quite puny. And that's a good thing. I was starting to think that was given too much.

I'm also thinking about the Arc Warden, I saw a couple matches w/ him yesturday. I've been trying to unravel his concept from the ritz to the rubble, over and over. I continued that last nite. (what a troublesome concept... Jesus)
    And thinking about my overhaul as well. And digging what I did, the route that I took w/ this attempt to re-think the hero, his theme, roles and all, even going back to DotA, to go through his history.

And I'm thinking about this video here... this video and us (dotards from PD).

And I'm also thinking that this... this is a very good thread. :coffee:
    I really liked it.
    I read all replies.
    I think I'm going to have it watched.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  14. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
  15. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    You can't think too much about DotA in this thread :3

16. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    HAHA, yes mom.

17. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    @summer-penguin I'm glad you shared that video because it enforced something that I was thinking:

I think @IceFrog is doing all that crap to achieve the Perfect Imbalance. Okay, he's doing it too harshly, but he wants that just now imo.

I think that there is still a long way ahead of him buffing some heroes that were long forgotten. It is practically what he's been doing for a long time - pulling heroes from extinction.
    After buffing them too much, he's giving them excessive nerfs.
    I think that once he's done with making every hero OP, and then nerfing it, we'll have the good old balanced DotA.
    There will still be some OP heroes for sure, just not as now.

Or at least that's what I hope.

18. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    HAHA, I'll play Gilmour's High Hopes to that.

19. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    ok changed the roles.
    Starting urn charges can always be associated with number of raindrops remaining ;)

My thought of the day:
    That It is much much easier to jungle Elsea in the scourge side of the map because Sentinel is quite hard to stack, especially troll camps lol (270 movement speed)

20. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Extra Credit got a nice series about the fall of Bronze Age Civilisations since someone linked a vid from them.

Spectre is broken... Rad at 25 min 1-6-2 score with all tier1's lost...