1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Your anime thought of the day

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Discussion' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Finished Hitsugi no Chaika, and the sequel Avenging Battle.

Shite. Why? because it doesn't get anything right. Story is boring, characters are boring, audiovisuals are boring.
    Characters (and their progression) being the worst offender here. The MC is so much of a blank slate, it' like he has no emotion at all. That wouldn't be a problem if they tried to emphasize on that, or make him change. But they do neither. Same for MC's love interest. Even with her "shocking revelation" catchphrase, they make nothing out of it. She stays like she was on ep 1, without any struggle and redemption. Yes, they have like 4 scenes together which makes you wanna think "FINALLY THEY SWITCH IT UP!", but no, it was just a tease. A cockblock. A ruse. A Trap.

And subsequently, I call bullshit at the ending.

I guess it speaks volumes if one of the rivals is the most interesting character.
    Red Chaika

Will not recommend. It has no redeeming qualities.

2. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Moderator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2014
  3. LAYDKZ

LAYDKZ Member

May 19, 2012
    Anyone suggest me some good mangas please :D

4. Secchan

Secchan Member

Oct 16, 2009
    LAYDKZ likes this.
  5. SpiritBaker

SpiritBaker Member

Dec 28, 2012
    >Disliking Chaika
    Chaika is one of the few anime that managed not to bore me to tears in the last year. I don't much care for lack of character development, every other show can do that. Chaika is worth a watch mostly for the weird factor.

6. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    The only weird thing are the Gundo. Not much I'd build an argument around.

7. Archein

Archein Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Girlish Number is one of the best animes I have ever watched

8. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Finished both Valkyria Chronicles and Strike The Blood.

Valkyria Chronicles was alright. Not much to say, really. Esecially since I'm biased by having played the game. If you're interested, either watch the anime or play the game, for both it's just a waste of time.

Strike The Blood... I really want to dislike it due to its many flaws, but it does one thing right. That one thing being characters. While the anime is filled with the generic ecchi tropes, it manages to not fall into the dumb kind of ecchi. The characters still have some semblance of reasoning to them compared to the generic ecchi, making them much more relateable. I also like the overall lore/background of the anime with various mythical creatures, magicians, humans, and other beings living together.
    But I dislike how it follows the bog-standard monster-of-the-day principle. That wouldn't be such an issue if it gave me some feeling of dread or hopelessness, but it doesn't. There wasn't even a showdown or climax at the end! It just goes through the motions and that was the entire arc. There's also many unanswered questions about some of the characters, which I feel is supposed to set up a second season. But the open-/not-so-open ending kinda denies that possibility.

Also, best girl didn't win.

I wouldn't recommend it.

9. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    ^The anime of Valkyria Chronicles suck, tho. The game has interesting gameplay, though Scout rush strat is too abusive.

Btw:

Oesile likes this.
  10. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I found it pretty true to the game. Not counting some design decisions.

Gotta swap out of my Coalgirls releases, their filesizes are astronomic in comparison. Holy jesus.

11. Secchan

Secchan Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I also unironically enjoyed Strike The Blood, it was a ton of fun for me personally. Not sure why it gets all the hate when its not the most atrocious thing around.

12. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I can only laugh at "no senpai, it's our fight" for so long before it becomes annoying.

13. Secchan

Secchan Member

Oct 16, 2009
    might as well not enjoy the medium as whole, if you are gonna be that nitpicky almost everything is shit bar Miyazakis stuff.

14. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    While that is true, I still wouldn't recommend it. And while the characters were better than in the run-off-the-mill anime, it's still not enough to make me. And I doubt any person likes monster-of-the-day without some serious feelings. Even Sailor Moon does that better.
    Granted, as I've said before, the lore is really interesting. They should've focused on that instead. It has some serious potential.

Fuck Miyazaki, lol. Mononoke Hime is the only thing I enjoyed from him. Everything else was boring.

15. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    So I can't enjoy anime as a medium because I cannot enjoy one overused joke used in a subpar harem anime that didn't exactly have any semblance of a progressing storyline?

Alright, note taken.

TypicalGC7 likes this.
  16. Secchan

Secchan Member

Oct 16, 2009
    yeah you would be hard pressed when 80% of anime are like this. Everyone has different guilty pleasures, im not gonna judge you if you enjoy DxD or To Love Ru. You shouldnt take anime way too srsly, there's more to life than bashing mediocre anime.

Honestly i just enjoyed the ride for what it was. Mediocre shonen with fun moments. i wouldnt even picked up the show in the first place if it wasnt for Glac who recommended it.
    N-n-not praising every Ghibli ever. What heresy is this!

17. Freaky Alien Genotype

Freaky Alien Genotype Moderator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Who else has seen the Ghost in the Shell trailer? It actually looked decent.

Also Fullmetal Alchemist live action trailer, horry sheet.

18. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Moderator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Looking forward to the GiS movie.

19. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Maybe if you got your head out of your ass you'd see that I literally only mentioned one specific circumstance (that only happens in that one specific anime) which I didn't enjoy before you stated with an incredibly wide sweeping statement that I couldn't enjoy all anime simply from that one really specific scenario that only happens in one anime.

Maybe you should stop being triggered when someone replies with any semblance of disagreement and you proceed to make assumptions like I bash all mediocre anime and have no guilty pleasures.

Maybe stop thinking that you're some special fuck flower and that everyone that disagrees with you is being elitist and haughty.

TypicalGC7 likes this.
  20. Secchan

Secchan Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Specific scenario that follows a stereotypical anime trope. Do you get bored everytime Nanoha screams "STARLIGHTO BURAIKA"? "That illusion of yours, i will smash it", "Kininarimasu", nitpicking on a catchphrase is pretty damn elitist by the sounds of it.

lmao getting Triggered over chinese cartoons.