1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Your anime thought of the day

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Discussion' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mephistos

mephistos Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Hm, thus far, this happens to be the first season in which the necessity of dropping one or more shows did not occur to me.

I humbly agree. Those votes happen to represent a rather immature minority.
    Ultimately, I conclude enternainment material to be sujectively consumed, thus votes and ratings seldom grant an objective clarification about the quality of a product.

2. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    tbf, to conclude a SoL (that inherently is not supposed to have an ending) is quite tough. How do you convincingly say "hey guys, this isn't the end of their story, but it's a good point where we stop talking about their lives"?

edit: The voting seems incredibly skewed to latest or near-latest season material though, must be that recency-bias kicking in.

3. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Moderator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2014
    What yall watching this season? Overlord 2 seems pretty disappointing so far. Fate Encore is just rubbish...

Fan favs seem to be Violet Evergarden and Darling in the Franxx. I think Devilman Crybaby is the best so far

4. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Overlord is quite rushed IMO...

Vol 5 and 6 should be fucking damn epic but the last episode seemed to nail it.

Basically this season is shit.

5. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    which fate sereis? I think ive missed something. I hope its fate stay night

Edit wait im 1 year late.

6. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
  7. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    >meme arrows
    >talking about news source rather than the actual news itself

wev lad

8. Anukali-kun

Anukali-kun Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Waiting for beach episode on Black Clover :D

9. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    It is coming and it is in competent hands.

10. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
  11. Telperion

Telperion Member

Dec 6, 2009
    I enjoyed Darling in the Franxx, which ended recently and I love anime like Akame ga Kill, Cross Ange, Arpeggio of Blue Steele and sousei no onmyouji (そうせいのおんみょうじ).

12. RisaStoleMyHart

Mar 26, 2014
    Cross Ange still makes me mad cos I hated the male MC and wish the girl ended up with dragon girl or the red haired one. Not to mention one of the biggest asspulls i've seen, which they even make fun of in post-credits.

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed DitF despite all its flaws. I even thought reddit would suck up to it but the final episode seems almost universally hated; Reddit, /a/, the Japanese and other foreign communities.

13. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Darling in the FranXX could have been one of my top 5 at least had it retained its quality to the end. This is something I related to a conceptual and personal level, something I haven't experienced in about 2 years. The first half is one of the best things I've seen. World building, extremely consistent main cast that developed and behaved exactly how I wanted them to, tragic romance, b-grade teen melodrama, action, pretty much everything I've ever wanted. The pacing and episode structure was really enjoyable too. There's an entire episode dedicated to Zorome discovering the world, another with Zero Two's backstory, and 'filler' episodes that were more than just fanservice.

I think Darling in the FranXX could've been incredibly great if it had like 35 (or even 50 like Eureka seven) episodes if the writers wanted a conclusive ending. But trying to decisively end a series when all the previous episodes were unfit for such an ending was a mistake imo. They could've taken the Eva approach; ambiguous ending that leaves everything to interpretation and hypothesis. By forcefully tying all loose strings in a short amount of time, the unfinished world building and promising characters that were seemingly headed toward something grandiose became something trivial. The Spice and Wolf anime was far from its light novel ending and it's still great.

@RisaStoleMyHart I think I've read somewhere that the Japanese took the ending pretty well. Is it really so universally reviled like on reddit and /a/?

14. RisaStoleMyHart

Mar 26, 2014
    35 episodes wuutt. There were too many filler episodes and unresolved side-plots. Not to mention the unnecessary Gainax tropes that were inserted at the end. I think the first half of DitF was fun, but there was nothing great about it.

I don't know where you heard that but here is the NicoNico ratings. Episode 13 was most well-received, while final episode is the lowest by far.

[​IMG]

15. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Interesting that episodes 20-24 still had relatively tame ratings. I expected them to go a lot lower.

anyways I thought that Darling in the FranXX should have taken a slightly darker and psychological turn. I felt that in doing so the show would be a lot more complex and enjoyable, which also follows up with the ominous signs shown before. 24 episodes clearly wasn't enough if they wanted to introduce aliens in 5 episodes.

16. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Found a pretty interesting post about some possible DarliFra complications. Manga may be worth reading

17. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Eva anime sucks toward the end, cuz low budget. Better watch the remakes. No, seriously, you only finish the last few episodes just because you want to finish it, which is like trying to swallow a capsicum-filled core of a sweet candy that ran out of sweetness.

Is DitF actualy good? I heard that it is pretty hyped and unlike stuffs like Madoka I heard a lot of bad stuffs about it. I'm too busy nowadays to actually follow a show. Pretty much some short SoL is perfect for my situation.

EDIT: A1 did the show. So I will not gonna watch this shit. I also read a few chapters of the manga and it is too awkward for me. Dunno, it appears to be trying too hard to make a dystopian world. Also Franxx sucks as mecha.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 11:02 AM
  18. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Take my opinion as you will but the first half of Darling was good. The hype was deserved and the criticism toward the end is also deserved. The manga is heavily sexualized, but it's something fans are looking forward to whether the trainwreck of an ending was really the writer's intention all along or it was something to salvage the show. I've only read a couple chapters of the manga but people are saying that there are big differences between the manga and anime.

edit: FranXX may not be right for you if you enjoy some short sol series. The pacing is slow and the drama and feels take a while to deliver. It's kinda like Shinsekai Yori where some kids slowly start exploring a world, which takes time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2018 at 11:25 AM
  19. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I watch SoL because I don't have much time to watch. I can only invest time in something that is actually good.

The anime should not branch off too far from the manga at the beginning, but the first few chapters actually put me off due to the awkwardness, not because of the fanservices.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM