1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Your anime thought of the day

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Discussion' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MSD.Tenshi

MSD.Tenshi Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I just started Girls und Panzer and I have to say, I think it's what Haifuri should've been.

2. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Good thing I watched Panzer but not Haifuri then.

3. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Oh fuck, Tenshi is back. :D

4. MSD.Tenshi

MSD.Tenshi Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Haifuri was okay-ish as it is, however the problem IMO is the show not deciding what it is, supposedly naval battles at the beginning and then (d)evolving into some grim sci-fi thingy at the end, along with that Saving Private RyanMoeka stuff.

GuP on the other hand stayed true to form till the end, just showing tank battles along with your occasional smattering of SoL, which I find much more interesting to watch (maybe that's just me).

So I'm basically saying that Haifuri should've just focused on the battles stuff (or naval battles as a sport) and shouldn't have segued into some other thing. But then again they're having a collaboration with World of Warships, so, second season with more naval battle focus? :D

Yes, I am. :D

5. mephistos

mephistos Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Hmm, would there be any recommendations for the upcoming season?

The last season appeared to be quite a disappointing season; hence I did drop about 50% of all the shows after watching the first 3 to 6 episodes.

I assume anime creators did lose their inspiration, producing generic garbage in order to generate income for the industry that happens to stand behind, or as one might rather say, above it.

Meanwhile, I find myself passing the time inbetween seasons watching Toradora aswell as Scrapped Princess.
    Both shows seem highly recommendable.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Rule 1: Sex sells
    Rule 2: Producers want to sell

This ends up creating a lot more content based around fanservice or character-selling (so they can sex it up with the merch alone at home)

Also, since their main target audience is teenagers, you get the school setting a lot.
    School setting itself doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad though, but it's just that the source material nowadays aren't really that interesting.

Hibike Euphonium that recently finished its second season did pretty well in storytelling, although KyoAni yuribaited the shit out of that show, it was still a nice story bar a few character neglects towards the end. I'm probably biased because I was once in concert band and kinda miss the whole playing-together thing (interestingly I played both the trombone and the euphonium, and the bass for a very short period of time)

Anyway, just don't get your hopes up for mindblowing storytelling. There's probably not gonna be one for a long time.

7. Ostarion

Ostarion Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Actually after watching YGO abridged I immediately went on to DBZ abridged. It is great, although (imo) nowhere near YGO abridged. DBZ abridged is more like the regular show, only with banter, insults and jokes. Ygo abridged is more like a comedy show, where each character is basically Super Kami Guru. Also the guy who did YGO abridged voices Frieza in DBZ abridged.

8. Freaky Alien Genotype

Freaky Alien Genotype Moderator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2009
    DBZA improves with every single episode. By the time you get to episode 56 it's just near-constant side-splitting.

9. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Watched Towa No Quon, twas alright.

Rewatched Kiddy Grade, Tetsuwan Birdy, and Kure-nai, still amazing.

Watched the sequel to Kiddy Grade, Kiddy Girl-and, twas utter garbage.

Watched Phantom The Animation, bad.

I don't have internet right now (on mobile atm) so I'm not gonna bother extending my views.

10. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Moderator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

my familiar

11. SpiritBaker

SpiritBaker Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I didnt know other people who had seen Kiddy Grade existed.

I agree the sequel is utter garbage. It is completely unable to sustain any sort of tone.

12. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I've waited way too long to watch the Fate series. Should I watch the DEEN adaptations after the ufotable ones?

13. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    They are both shit. DEEN is less shit. Watch DEENs Fate route as a different route/timeline kinda deal, which is actually a major part of the Nasuverse. DEENs UBW sacrificed story for action, but it is almost an 1:1 adaption otherwise, unlike the shit ufotable managed to spew out.

14. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    This is after you've read the LN I suppose.

If you have no context of LN or any background of the storyline, ufotable has better art and flashy fight scenes.

And while you're watching Fate/ series, might as well watch Fate/Zero first.

15. Berceuse

Berceuse Member

Feb 4, 2013
  16. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    The general popular opinion is that DEEN's one was terrible.

I haven't watched DEEN's version, so I cannot comment. I have, however, watched ufotable's and ufotable's art is a lot more pleasant to watch compared to DEEN's one (simply because DEEN's one was made really long ago and the art isn't as high-budget as UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS)

17. 5chneemensch

5chneemensch Member

Jun 15, 2009
    *VN. Yes, reading the VN, and knowing the universe with it makes you heavily biased.

Zero is to be watched after the sequel for the full experience.

The thing is, the DEEN adaption is (to be treated as) less of an adaption, and more of a "4th route". this is entirely plausible within the universe it plays in. The DEEN movie of UBW is (minus the cut story in favour of the action parts) a 1:1 adaption, while the ufotable version has alterations and took liberties. Massive in my book.

And the worst of all, they altered the most memorable quote of the route, the most memorable fight, and the most memorable opening. Which brings me to the conclusion: fuck ufotable.

If you didn't read the VN, you'll probably enjoy it regardless. Personally, I felt insulted.

18. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Ahh yes VN, I brainfarted there.

Anyway, it's just the source vs adaptation thing.

VN is the complete package if you really want to get into the nasuverse. But if you casual and just wanna watch some bunch of legendary heroes duke it out, just go ufotable for ease of access. (Unrelated, but they're also adapting a Heaven's Feel (another route of the VN) for a 3-part movie)

I had a friend who watched F/Z before knowing any of the fate series and liked it over UBW-ufotable. He hates Shirou as a character (something about being too idealistic etc).

19. SpiritBaker

SpiritBaker Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Ufotable's UBW has massive pacing issues. And I dont mean long term stuff. There is just something horribly wrong with the way action and dialogue are timed.

I dont think there is a point to "getting into" fate unless you want to read it. If you prefer watching things as anime, there is not that much material around to be getting into. All the adaptations have massive issues. The only really good one is Faze/zero, and that is because it is quintessentially non-canon. Fate may be big, but Fate in anime is barely medium, so just start where you will and it will work out.

Unless you came for Kaleid, of course.

20. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)