1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Wukong Strategy

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by Combaticus, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Combaticus

Combaticus Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Let's talk monkey king. He is a duelist carry, but where is the optimal place to lane him? I feel mid isn't too good since you will likely only beat melee mids, which isn't too common. While he does like levels, I feel like his lack of presence against a lot of ranged heroes makes it an unwarranted lane. Also placing him mid means your mid isn't bringing any significant magic damage to the table. Jungle isn't really an option due to lack of sustain. That leaves safe and off. Personally I feel like both of these lanes can work for him fine depending on support. Though he may not scale as well as other carries if you send him safe, I feel like it is not a wasted lane since he highly benefits from a lane partner. Having some sort of support makes trading that much easier. In the offlane I feel like he can work against melee carries granted wukong also has a laning partner since you can bully with jingu mastery and longer range.

Skill build is probably first max jingu mastery, boundless strike at 2 and second max, tree dance at 4 and third max, and ult whenever. Tree dance can be taken earlier if you want to soak xp in a difficult match up, but other than that is not too useful in lane. Talents are usually obvious is you are ahead or behind, though the 3x crit at 25 is probably always the one to go for.

For items echo saber is definitely core and will probably be built in like 100% of games. Choosing between phase and treads is a little more difficult choice. I feel like both boots could be good. Phase is good for chasing/more Q damage/more ult damage but the stat switching and extra attack speed from treads is not unnoticed. Early game OoV and PMS are also nice buys for bullying and mitigating harass respectively. After choice boots/echo I usually got maelstrom for improved farming speed since wukong doesn't farm fast without an item for it. After that it's pretty flexible what you buy, depending on the match up. BKB/Basher/Deso or lifesteal/Shadowblade are all pretty good items on him. MKB is also sometimes required. Perhaps a defensive linkens too if called for? I feel like lifesteal is really good on him actually, maybe MoM could work but needs more testing. Satanic also seems good with BKB. I could also see armlet being a decent buy. A potential 6 slot build could look something like BoT/Basher/BKB/Satanic/Mjollnir/Echo saber with echo being a lategame replaceable item.

Let me know how you guys play MK and thoughts on this guy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    The hero is actually also a very strong roamer:

This clip shows how powerful a Monkey King roamer can be, as you're essentially an Earthshaker with a 40% movement speed slow at level 1 that has insane mobility and can gank from very unexpected places and place wards + contest bounties very safely.

If you're facing a ton of magic damage you'll always want the magic resistance over boundless strike crit. It still has a 25 second cooldown, it's cool for helping you pop supports but the downtime means you don't get that much damage out if it.

I'm not sure anymore as for which lane is which though. It looks much better on paper to just put the safelane in what used to be the hardlane, because you have your Shrine there and bounty (for supports), and you're far away from the opponent's Shrine (where gankers can tp and sneak around from).
    A trilane in the 'hardlane' has the big advantage of getting an essentially free 3 man fountan trip in the span of 10 seconds, making it much more likely to win the lane against the opposing trilanes. Same goes for dual lanes.

IMO Treads is better. You need survivability on the monkey, and no one's running from you with Echo Sabre, Basher and Tree Dance.

I strongly recommend against lifesteal and shadow blade. They don't solve your survivability issues and Monkey King needs to be able to stand his ground in his broken ultimate. Treads, Echo, BKB with an Orb of Venom/Blight stone and something like a Basher seems really solid. Skadi seems really great too, although at this point it might be redundant if you have Abyssal already. You just need to be survivable enough to get your Jingu Mastery reliably, if you go full damage you won't be able to get stacks safely, meaning you actually do less damage overall.
    A blink could be nice too, with it you can easily cover a massive amount of distance extremely fast, and you don't risk getting 4 second stunned from a tree.
    MoM seems terrible, you don't want to lose tree dance for 8 seconds, and you don't want to get squishier.

You can easily farm entire creepwaves with the maxed tree-slam-jump thing. 340 Magic damage is pretty good. Maelstrom could be ok for his ultimate but you'd rather have something like a butterfly for attack speed and survivability than a Mjollnir, even with the lightning procs on your ult. Attack speed isn't that usefful for your ultimate though, and you already have an Echo Sabre, so you need something more appealing (such as evasion or armor).
    If you can't survive during ult, it's meaningless. It has a pretty low cooldown considering how powerful it is, and a massive radius. Opponents can't contest their Rax if you ult there while BKB'd, it's hilarious.

3. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I prefer #4 with Eul into Echo Medallion

1-1-1
    2-1-2-1
    4-1-4-1

The early roam is ok, a bit weaker than an earth spirit without help, definitely higher mobility though.

The beauty of it comes in midgame where your team gains access to an extra dps out of that #4 position. MK needs to be aimed or he gets too much value from his ultimate and boundless strike.

I find the fight disruption from Eul and the potential wukong combo is really threatening from a #4. Wukong is also great at taking towers paired with a ranged #1/2.

4. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Can you explain the Euls? Is it just for that silly Ult 5X monkey clone hit with +90 damage?

5. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    It actually seems pretty good when you put it that way. Jump on someone, Euls him, summon yo monkeys and stun him. And that's a solokill unless it's something like an Axe.
    Even better with Basher.

6. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Yes, it's an easy 1600 physical damage at level 7 if you catch someone, euls, ult, and stun them. If they don't have a force staff or ghost it's around 2000+ damage while they walk out of the circle.

7. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Balanced hero
    Once you get a Basher they won't be able run ever. Each Monkey has his own basher cooldown, and you have your own basher too. 5 monkeys with a 25% chance to bash for 1.4 seconds every 2 seconds and your hero who can bash too is unfair.

You can manfight a 6 slotted Ursa.

8. Kris

Jun 15, 2009
    There's a good YouTube of it somewhere.

Eul, Ultra, Strike, 6 apes Hit, You Hit, 6 apes hit again

9. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    dunno if buying euls delays the basher -> abysal...

10. Kris

Jun 15, 2009
    The Eul style is a more kite/utility style than just being a beat stick, which is why I like it as #4.

MK gets kited too hard in fights without a BKB to just go ham and hit stuff.