1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Why i should be in charge of matchmaking/punishment at valve

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by fdghg, Nov 12, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

1. Black_Ice

Black_Ice Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The only thing i can agree with is that griefers and intentional feeders should receive harsh bans. The rest is manageable if you get ur head out of ur ass and start behaving like a decent human being.

Once again, the moment you give up and stop trying to win, you deserve the worst of punishments.

2. Louie!

Louie! Member

Jul 19, 2010
    PlayDotA should rehire me as vice admin again.

kadrega likes this.
  3. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Especially that @Wivot is apparently sleeping, or is s/he working silently and stealthly? ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM
  4. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes OP you're the best game designer ever your system has no flaws or negative consequences.

5. Nisamraw

Nisamraw Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I couldn't agree more with OP. The report system is broken beyond belief in DotA 2, and easily fixable.

Only game where you can be sent in LP when you've done nothing wrong. On the other hand, you can also grief a game like hell, and not be sent in LP because the 4 players in your team don't have enough reports.

So, you body block someone by accident, because you're not a 10k mmr god, and gets him killed, then he spends the rest of the game insulting you, at the end he reports you (be the game won or lost), while you may not even report him for foul language, and you end up in LP after ~10 games for random & various reports just like that one.

No wonder this game is dying out. You don't have a fair chance to play a decent game, be it the retarded matchmaking system, sending you into games that are lost/won min 0 by the amount of retards you have or they have, or be it the report system that is totally random.

I won my 5 last games, and they weren't even fun: just stomps after stomps, half of them, the other team had griefers or players that were so bad they didn't even qualify as 1k mmr, while you get players that are 5k+, and it shows. Could be also the other way around. It still takes 30min each time, because pub game, some unnecessary deaths etc, but maaaan does it feel like such a waste of time.

6. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Nisamraw:
    Perhaps the only game which you play. Not the only one which is being played.
    So your assumptions are wrong and you should feel wrong.

7. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Yeah, lets see how it's going for that other game: http://steamcharts.com/app/730

Indeed, you are correct, it's the only game @Nisamraw still plays if he still plays it. But don't go pretending the other implementations do not have similar effects on their user base. As a matter of fact, Overwatch is working on implementing something similar and its players are already threatening to quit the game full stop.

8. fdghg

fdghg Member

Sep 13, 2011
    You realize party players don't have their own queue right? They play with solo players but use party mmr, which just fucks with matchmaking.

Unranked exists, and if someone ruins the game in ranked by "playing for fun" you can just block them from your team.

This is a really good point. I updated my original post to include this.

Although i would keep things simple and simply give the winning team mmr regardless of who left or not. If you leave you usually have a high chance of losing anyway... But if you dc in a game that's already won, or come back after 15 mins to help your team win, you would keep your win. This encourages coming back after a legit DC and makes mmr more accurate.

I guarantee i could do a better job than whatever moron is in charge of this at valve.

I'm genuinely curious what downsides you think this has... Give me your suggestion for a 100% automated system (the only kind valve will use) and let's compare pros and cons.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:07 PM
  9. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Which is exactly why they should have a different number. Some players may be stronger when paired with certain teammates and the party MMR reflects that scenario.

I don't disagree with the blocking part, I'm just saying that if you remove one excuse they will find another.

10. fdghg

fdghg Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Updated original post to remove abandons after reading convincing feedback, and reformatted everything. Keep the feedback coming dota fangays!

Because when you change steam language setting, steam and dota 2 become unreadable if you don't know the language. I don't think many people would want to deal with that inconvenience, and i doubt most people would even know about the setting/how to change it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:44 PM
  11. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes multilinguals do not exist. Nobody in Russia can speak English and nobody in Peru can speak English.

Let me know when Valve hires you for your superior skills.

kamukag3e and kadrega like this.
  12. fdghg

fdghg Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yes multilingual people exist, and they could still change the steam setting whenever they want to queue in different languages, they'd just have to queue 1 language at a time for the greater good. And most multilingual people would probably prefer one language most of the time anyway (faster queue times, mother language, etc.).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 7:01 PM
  13. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    wait2. I think solo players can check the "only solo matchmaking queue" at matchmaking option right?

people who got mixed in party pool accidentally are just unfortunate (or didn't check the option or some people would say dumb).