1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do we have 4 Medusas?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by mapdesigner, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:44 PM.

1. Mimic

Mimic Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Why do we have five riki?

Z01d likes this.
  2. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    well at least not 5 heroes got his signature LOL

Riki is even sold at the secret shop too lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018 at 2:01 PM
  3. fine93

fine93 Member

Feb 12, 2010
    every time a new patch gets released he's being put on a pedestal

look what power overlord has created such balance such innovation much LUL

you people are letting him ruin it

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 5:22 AM
  4. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Yeah...sure, a few comments on the internet will make Gaben dethrone him

5. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    These abilities are all completely different.

Gyro - 1250 range, 100% damage, can't proc modifiers, limited attacks, different projectile speed, unlimited targets
    Drow - Not even a split shot, its a splinter shot. It requires the main target to be hit and the search radius is around the main target, not your hero. Can proc modifiers, 50% damage, 2 targets. Requires Aghs.
    Medusa - 3 targets, needs talent for modifiers or more targets, 75% damage, attack range + 100 radius.
    Clinkz - You have to use Searing arrows for it to work, the secondary projectile can hit buildings (none of the others can), can use aether lens to increase secondary target acquisition range, initial range = cast range of searing arrows. Requires level 25.

6. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Only retards compare heroes in a vacuum. It's not like they have 3 different other spells, base stats, cast points, stat growths and talents.

A Knight and Samurai both use a sword but they are not the same.

7. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    im comparing abilities that I dont like them being too similar

8. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Whilst ignoring the rest of the heroes style and purpose.

9. KinGe

KinGe Member

Sep 23, 2009
    You grossly misunderstand my post. Your post describes heroes that actually have different attack functions but yet you still label them as "Medusas" while my post actually shows you what actual duplicate spells is (or was). So again no it does not prove your point. How do you come to conclusion that Drow agh (splinter target) is the same as Gyro's flak cannon? These two interactions work completely different. Next thing I know you'd probably say Gyro agh and Drow agh are the same - wutface.

10. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    ok drow,

what do you do with gyro and dusa? completely different?

what about clinks?

and btw im agreeing here just for the sake of argument but I still dont like drow thingy to be as close as it is to dusa.

11. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Medusa hits targets in all directions, Drow only hits targets that are clustered together, kind of like DK splash damage, except with on hit modifiers and less potential targets.

upload_2018-2-15_12-3-43.png

Here, have a shitty paint jpeg that shows how it works and how different the abilities are.

mapdesigner likes this.
  12. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    its still the same taste :p

13. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I disagree. But let's give you the benefit of the doubt here, and say that they do indeed have the same taste:
    Cheese and Ice cream don't. But they are both made with the same milk.

Drow uses it with maelstrom for the glass cannon teslaranger build, which is high sustained magical dps (even a bit bursty) to clumped enemies, while Medusa slowly peppers down teams shaving their health off as she stands in the middle of the teamfight.
    No matter how similar you feel the split-shots are, the end result is completely different, so the taste of a component is something you won't even notice

14. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    dusa have even better maelstrom proccs bcuz she can procc in every attack, so can be as good as every .33 seconds or so but drow it can be better but its impossible on the long run becuz she only makes 3 attacks while dusa makes tons.

wait nvm dusa only attack 4 ppl I thought she attacked 6. its still better but not much. drow has 42% chance to not procc while dusa has 31%

but but drow will get better distribution becuz her attacks will be slightly more separate (dusa the average time between attacks is approx 0.33 max while drow its about .2 more or less (its actually a bit less).

not sure what the implications of that are but I guess it will increase drow chances a bit becuz she is getting restricted less than dusa (becuz dusa can only procc once in the 4 attacks while drow can procc more than once... by chance it can happen)

so in the end dusa and drow are almost equal chance of doing tesla ranger proccs thats why I thought its the same taste. yes dusa is tanky. drows not. drows a bit more damage. but in terms of tesla ranger its the same electriciy coming in both.

15. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @mapdesigner:
    Then again you have missing few things.
    1) Drow has tons of attack speed and attacking faster means more chances to proc.
    2) Drow's AoE of hits is more concentrated, so proc. will always connect on multiple targets, where Medusa can proc on a single-target behind her and not connect to another one - being to far away.
    3) Any second one of those two heroes not attacking means the hero has 0 outgoing DPS, outside of disables, Drow is fragile and if someone get close to her, she needs to re position - wasting time to move.
    Medusa on the other hand is so bulky that she doesn't care if enemy is on top of her and does not interrupt her attacks for kiting purposes.

Thus - if you are with a melee carry on top of Drow (or chasing her), you kill her or make her deal 0 DPS for some time and focus on you instead of your allies.
    In case of her focusing you - and being no targets around you - split shot is completely wasted.
    Medusa's split shot doesn't care for such cases, nor Dusa herself - because she is a completely different hero.

16. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    It is juz 1 skill that is abit similar but their other abilities make them different.

Clinkz is a chaser stealth type. Gyro is a chaser non-stealth type. Gorgon is a tanker type. Clinkz and drow have paper hp, etc. There are enough differences to each hero to make them different in gameplay.

Well we have mag, sven, kunka, pa cleave talent, etc for melee cleave.

So, 4 heroes with split shot aka ranged cleave is ok, in my opinion....not too many ranged cleavers.

Luna and TA sort of have a ranged cleave too btw.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 3:06 AM