1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Who are some good offlaners currently

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by OrangeSodaSmurf, Oct 10, 2016.

1. OrangeSodaSmurf

OrangeSodaSmurf New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    So I've been trying to play more offlane for my team and just in general in solo and was looking to increase my pool. I know some classic offlaners like Bara and Void but was wondering what others are seeing some play from you all.

Additionally I'm curious what people think makes a good offlaner. Durable and a good escape seems to be the usual characteristics, but even someone like Pit Lord and Omni do well without any escapes.

2. DrQuint

DrQuint New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    This string of text you are currently reading represents everyone who bitches about Timbersaw in the current patch.

OrangeSodaSmurf likes this.
  3. OrangeSodaSmurf

Oct 8, 2016
    Can't believe I forgot to mention him, perhaps I'm subconsciously trying to forget myself...

4. Liremusica

Liremusica New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Dark Seer/NS/LC Basically anyone who can make use of Iron Talon. XD

Necalli likes this.
  5. OrangeSodaSmurf

Oct 8, 2016
    I enjoy playing DS when I have a stack, but in solo I feel like I have 0 affect on the game as it gets later.

6. restocker

restocker Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Offlane is not my strong suit, but the heroes that can force the enemy supports to stay in the lane and harass you are the ones that I find to be the strongest. The heroes that will immediately bully the safe laner once the supports leave, are typically favoured. Furthermore, the offlaners these days need to have strong initiation, due to the fact that mid lane is more carry oriented as opposed to "play making". We have seen the fall of heroes at mid lane such as: Puck, Batrider, Magnus, etc. in favour of Invoker, Jugg, OD, Storm, etc. So that role now typically, not always, but most of the time falls on the offlaner. I think in that regard the strongest offlaners at the moment are: Void, Nyx, Sand King, Batrider, Timbersaw, Pit Lord and Tidehunter. I would say these are the defacto solo offlaners.

These heroes are extremely self reliant, and don't need much help. If you decide to roam a support(s) into the lane with these heroes (6-7 minutes into the game), you have adequate kill potential with most of them (especially if they have their ultimates). All these heroes can easily get EXP against most difficult lanes and can also acquire a bit of farm. I think the main issue with the offlane is that it requires a strong understanding of match ups and pushing your boundaries with your heroes. For example, Sand King can win most 1v2 match ups with relative ease. And if the enemy has two supports, well then they have to dedicate a lot of time to stopping the SK and can't roam to help other lanes (well not very early in the game at least).

Iron Talon has also made it so that you can go into your own jungle at the start of the game, hit level 3 around the 2 minute mark or so, heal up in the fountain and go back to the offlane. This is something you may want to do if the enemy has two supports, essentially trilaning. Otherwise, I prefer pressuring the dual lane most of the time.

I think other decent offlaners are best suited as dual lanes. Legion Commander, Undying, Bristleback, Abaddon, Axe and Lich. These heroes work well when they are pressuring a lane with an allied hero, and some of them need a decent amount of farm to transition into the mid game as actual damage dealers and initiators.

Some people may be wondering why Dark Seer and Clockwerk aren't mentioned. I find that Dark Seer is not the greatest hero in pubs at the moment solely due to the fact that he is extremely team reliant. With heroes like Tidehunter and Pit Lord, you have the ability to hard CC opponents and front line for your team, other top tier offlaners do a lot of damage and have CCs of their own. Darkseeker doesn't really do any of that. He has great pressure in the early game against the safe lane, but his transition into the mid-late requires team coordination. Clockwerk is also a decent offlaner in my opinion, but the problem with Clockwerk, is that he is horrendous if your team gets behind in a game. The moment the enemy team starts to five man, if you are behind, the game becomes significantly harder for Clockwerk. If you can get the lead and are able to pressure early on, then I think Clockwerk is fine, but he is definitely not a come from behind hero.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    OrangeSodaSmurf likes this.
  7. OrangeSodaSmurf

Oct 8, 2016
    Wow thanks for such a thorough response!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I though perhaps I was playing him incorrectly but he really is more of a team play hero.

This is something I have begun to realize as I played more offlane, the counter to their carry is especially important. Even something like playing SK to counter a melee safelane can really turn the game.

I guess my question now is where does Brood fit into this? I haven't seen a lot of her recently but she seems like she would be a strong offlaner considering she can easily take a lane by herself and has a pretty easy escape. And like you say, her harass is good and she can farm and get EXP in the offlane pretty easily to become a real threat.

8. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member

Jun 15, 2009
  9. restocker

restocker Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I play in the low 5K bracket, and I hardly ever see Broodmother being picked. However; I've watched Brood spammers and Bulldog play the hero and it is down right disgusting how she can devastate lanes. I am by no means a Brood player, but something I noticed about that the hero is that you need understand the small intricacies of the hero. For example, if you are getting hit as Brood and are unable to go over trees, you can destroy the web you are in, and create a new one. Sort of how Tinker can rearm Blink after getting hit to blink away.

Brood's main issue that I see is that she has to stay put in her lane. She has extremely low roam potential and offers almost no TP threat. She is also not an initiating hero, so you would need to sacrifice damage on one of your core roles, in favour of an initiator, or have a support (who will most likely be poor) become the initiator. This doesn't work out too well most of the time. However, she also has the potential to take over games if she can get a good match up. Often times she can completely forgo her lane after a few levels and just take over the enemy jungle; and once you've amassed a spider army, it is super easy to take the T1 tower or even kill a support.

Whenever I play against Brood, I feel that she draws a lot of resources from my team. You will mostly likely need a handful of heroes to kill her and you will need a constant flow of Dust/Sentries to shut her down. Even then she is one of the fastest jungle farming heroes as the game progresses. Brood has very clear cut strengths and weaknesses and her biggest flaw is that her play style is going to be the exact same every game. You will sit in your lane and push until you get a T2, the question is whether or not her opponents can prevent that from happening, and how well your team makes use of the space your are creating.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. Kuyrai

Kuyrai Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Tidehunter, sand king, and bat are probably the most popular offlanes by far.

11. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ New Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Pitlord, Sand King vs melee lanes, Panda vs weak dual lanes that can't kill him easily, LC good vs melee carry, Bat is good, Seer is always good if you know what you're doing, Nyx. Axe is good as well, sturdy in lane, can stack and farm the big side camp and if lane goes to shit he can always go jungle.

Timber is only good if you can farm the lane, i don't like Tide or Void because they are too ulti dependant, and if your team doesn't follow up with damage you lose game.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  12. ILLUSETSUNA

ILLUSETSUNA Member

Jul 27, 2013
  13. iser

iser Member

Jun 10, 2009
    beastmaster is also good.

14. CharizardX

CharizardX New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Void, BM, Slardar and Batrider are pretty good.

15. JDF8

JDF8 Member

Nov 18, 2013
    void void void void void underlord

16. Necalli

Necalli Member

Mar 8, 2016
    wtf no longer staff ?

17. Neptunes

Neptunes New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Sand King + 1. This classic combo can wreck havoc, forces enemy rotation and create substantial space for your team.

18. archaichearts

archaichearts New Member

Dec 18, 2015
    tiers for solo offlane

God Tier: Timbersaw, Sand King, Axe
    Top Tier: Void, Batrider, Slardar, Dark Seer, Omniknight, Nyx Assassin, Centaur
    Mid Tier: Beastmaster, Tidehunter, Enchantress, Earthshaker, Doom, Riki, Abaddon, Furion, Lone Druid, Night Stalker, Magnus
    Low Tier: Bristleback, Broodmother, Undying, Windranger, Weaver, Zeus, Spirit Breaker, Invoker
    Beyond Trash: Clockwork, Techies, Necrolyte

19. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Idk, haven't talked to anyone about it. Was never terribly active as staff unless something jumped out at me.