1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Want to learn some programming languages, help!

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by TheArsonist, Oct 9, 2016.

1. eielliott87

eielliott87 New Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Srsly? What is about C or C++? These languages are much terrible but are more used in the world.

2. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    C and C++ are leagues above Javascript in terms of usefullness and not being complete ass to work with.

You want terrible? Try using Erlang for anything other than what it's supposed to do.

People just tend to hate on them because either a) they suck at pointers b) it's too "hard" for other reasons or c) they don't want to use it/don't want to go into a field where it is used (a perfectly valid reason).

Obviously not everyone wants or needs to do low level stuff; but it's speed and level of access to memory are nigh unmatched outside of assembly.

Javascript on the other hand does one thing, and it does it mediocrely at that. It's also much more of a hassle to work with (at least in my opinion).

C++ is also used a lot in game development (especially the engine side things).

3. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I don't know about "the world," but Javascript is far more prominent in the USA.

C++ problems are usually trivial issues like knowing where to put the const keyword (yea, the developers can kill themselves for that shit). Javascript has more fundamental issues and its popularity is directly a result of...ahem, the coding hype I harped on and on about in my previous post and "open source" meaning any dumbass can contribute to a project on github, 99% of which will probably never see the light of day.

I'm not doing programming/coding grunt work (they call it "engineering," which is cute) for my career so I really couldn't care less. These are just my observations, and I tend to get aggressive when I see bullshit being thrown around and people swallowing it whole.

ZealotCatfish and Eli_Green like this.
  4. eielliott87

eielliott87 New Member

Feb 1, 2017
    As for me, a lot of engineers, nowadays, chase the trends and use The Programming languages like Python, because it is popular and fashionable. For me, Javascript is more powerful and more useful language.

5. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Hey guys.

I'm a recent dental school graduate, but I've always been interested in programming. Now that I've got some time on my hand I want to get to it.

That being said, i have no experience whatsoever in programming. Do the links you guys provided still work for me? Or do I need to like read an intorduction to programming book or something? 'Cause OP said they had some experience and I dont.

Thank you in advance.

@iser @Blarrg @dewouter

6. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Python, Java/C#, C/C++ are all relatively easy to get started with; kind of comes down to what you want to do though.

If you just want to fuck around Python is probably your best bet.

Googling X language + tutorial will be enough to get you started with most, and there's stack overflow/here if you get stuck and can't find stuff.

7. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Python would be a good choice, lua might even be better. Lua is very easy and doesn't require so many different variable declarations or pointers. There are millions of tutorials for every language so that should indeed be fine.

8. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Thank you @Eli_Green and @dewouter

I didn't think I'd find this much tutorials online for free, that's why I went here.
    I downloaded Python (3.6) and, to work with this PDF on python , I downloaded a program called Pyscripter. However, whenever I run it an error would appear saying Python could not be initialized. When I start Python no error occurs, though.

The error in addition to info on my computer are presented in the image. I tried all solutions I could find and none seem to work, including these. (most other websites posted a link to this as a solution for the problem.)

error.jpg

E: even tried installing an earlier version of python. didn't work.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  9. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
  10. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Hello,

Do you like warcraft 3? if yes, then learning how to make maps and triggers is fun place to begin: do what you like, and learn in the process.

I have examples of from warcraft 3 maps made by blizzard and when you look at the triggers it will be easy to learn. (basically I extracted them from warcraft files)

all programming languages are more or less the same: once you learn any, you can easily learn others. the good thing about trigger editor is that you can learn it entirely by yourself because there is a GUI. programming languages all follow more or less the same logic, but the difference is how these programming languages represt such logic. old languages have bad way to represent (Fortran, C), while newer languages have more user friendly ways (Java, python)

Skulls_n_Souls likes this.
  11. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Hey.
    So I've been fooling around with Python for a while, until someone I know gave me an advice to learn Kotlin instead of Python.

What's your opinion about this?

12. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Well I didn't even knkw it was a thing until you posted about it, but if it suits your needs sure.