1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

[Tinker's Journal]Grass

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by Wrooks, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    • Preface
      In league of legends, there is grass that makes you invisible. Here are some reasons why it should not be implemented into Dota 2.
      Argument
      We shouldn't have grass in Dota 2 because it would give everyone more things to experiment on and manage.

we already have to experiment on Items, spell leveling, and hero picking.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    And where is the suggestion?

3. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    there is no place for something like this...i tried my best...

its the opposite of a suggestion it argues why we shouldn't put this suggestion in the game.

In this case its

Grass

and if you ever played league of legends you see that they have grass that makes you invisible.

mapdesigner likes this.
  4. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    So you're suggesting that something nobody is suggesting should not be suggested?
    Is that it?
    :huh:

5. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    that's a convoluted sentence but yea

mapdesigner likes this.
  6. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, LoL also has items, and champions and spells to choose from.

The main difference, when it comes to that subject, are trees.
    Dota has hills and trees, and trees they block sight, and there are paths in between them, and they are destroyable (and grow back). Not to mention skill / trees interactions.
    That's already our grass.

Is there a hype going on somewhere about bringing grass into dota?
    It's an absolutely random idea. We have plenty "bushes" of our own. LoL doesn't even have day/night cicles, right?
    LoL also has many impassable areas. Areas you can only move through via spells.
    Dota has only a few of those, true, but Dota has hills, and high and low ground, that also affects sight, and even ranged attacks.
    But no ability, as for the moment, is directly interacting w/ high and low ground.
    The Next Generation mod had a hero, using BH's model, w/ an ability interacting w/ high and low ground. It would grant you a considerable movespeed bonus whenever moving down a cliff.

There's also the river. But the river does nothing.
    I wanted it to.
    I wanted units moving within the river area to suffer a movespeed slow of 2.5 or 5%. I suggested that... idk, six years ago?
    But right now, the river does nothing. Though Guardian Sprint (Slardar's) interacts w/ it directly. Something asked since before Dota 2's release.
    What makes me think... perhaps, many of our greatest suggestions are still coming.
    Somewhere around Dota 3's 10th anniversary, I suppose, but who knows...

Daddy Sven likes this.
  7. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    This has been discussed to death ever since League came to fruition. I can more than guarantee you that apart from it getting added as an item or hero ability, it will never be part of the regular terrain. Main reason being, Dota already has a juking mechanic based on vision as Summer already stated in his comment.

8. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    doesn't most games have juking??? I only play hots and dota 2 and they both have the same thing blind spots caused by the fog of war

9. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    Not exactly. For example, unlike League, Dota has high and low ground. Additionally narrow branching paths in trees, where you can hide in. Brush in League is in a sense what trees are for Dota.

10. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    I guess I come from the after life then since I never heard about it

11. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    More like don't remember, since it was 8 years ago.