1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Thor, God of Thunder (WIP, Proof of Concept, Critiques Welcome)

Discussion in 'Hero Ideas' started by Centauren, May 10, 2018.

1. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    First off, MAJOR apologies in advance if this is the wrong way to go about this. I really don't know where else to put these WIP Hero Profiles and if there is somewhere else I can be directed to, I will gladly delete this post and move it to the appropriate page.

That being said, this was something I wanted to do for a while and try to make a Hero based on reversing an existing item from the game, in this case Mjolnir. And you can't have that without the original owner of it, Thor himself.

I wanted to really mix the might and magic of the hero and that lead me to taking inspiration from the Mountain King hero from Warcraft 3. If you look closely I also used some of his stats as place-holders. Yes, these are ALL place-holders!

I'm still finding my center when it comes to giving numbers to abilities to make them balanced and not OP or worthless. So any advice you can give to stats or numbers in regards to manacost, damage, duration, and cooldown would be GREATLY appreciated.

Again, sorry for the incomplete entry and I hope that this hasn't been misplaced. Please feel free to give any constructive critiques you have so I can make this guy a finished Hero!

• [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Role Icon/s​

Hero Background Story:
      Background Story

Hero Introduction:
      Hero Introduction.

• [​IMG]
        Type: Active
        Targeting: Enemy
        Hotkey: Q
        Damage Type: Magical

Taking hold of his magic hammer, Thor sends himself flying towards the foe, dealing damage and stunning on impact.

"A streak of lightning..."

[​IMG] Cast Animation
        :mana: 75/75/75/75
        :cooldown:
        9/9/9/9
        :range: 600/600/600/600
        :damage: 100/125/175/250
        [​IMG] 2.25/2.5/2.75/3
        [​IMG] Stun
        [​IMG] Storm Caller: Miss Chance 50% in 400 AoE

Notes:

• Note1
      • [​IMG]
        Hotkey: W

Slamming against the earth with the force of thunder itself, Thor damages and slows any who dare engage him in close-quarters.

"...a crash of thunder..."

[​IMG] Cast Animation
        :mana: 90/90/90/90
        :cooldown: 6/6/6/6
        :aoe:
        250/300/350/400
        :damage:
        60/85/135/210
        [​IMG] 1/2/3/4
        [​IMG] 50% Slow
        [​IMG] Storm Caller: Disarm

Notes:

• Note1
      • [​IMG]
        Type: Channeling
        Targeting: No Target
        Hotkey: E

Spinning Mjolnir, Thor gathers electricity around himself, damaging nearby enemies and boosting his abilities and auto-attacks for each charge gained.

"...the gathering of storm clouds..."

[​IMG] Cast Animation
        :mana: 60/65/70/75
        :cooldown: 30
        :aoe: 300
        [​IMG] 3
        Damage Per Second: 20/30/40/50
        Charge Gained Per Second: 1
        [​IMG] Gains up to 3 charges. 1 spent on each spell and/or auto attack.
        [​IMG] Auto Attack: Dispel and +25 Bonus Damage
        [​IMG] Lightning Flash: Miss Chance 50%
        [​IMG] Thunder Crash: Disarm
        [​IMG] Mountain Crusher: Bonus Damage per Stack - 50/75/100

Notes:

• Note1
      • [​IMG]
        Hotkey: R
        Damage Type: Physical

Thor hurtles Mjolnir towards the foe with all his strength, dealing Critical damage on impact and bonus Magical Damage for each Charge when thrown.

"...and the ruins of mountains, are all that remain from battles ended by the might of Mjolnir."

[​IMG] Cast Animation
        :mana: 125/175/250
        :cooldown: 180/170/160
        :range: Global/Global/Global
        Critical Damage: 200%/300%/400%
        [​IMG] 15/20/25
        [​IMG] When activated Player will find themselves in control of Mjolnir until the end of the duration, they hit an enemy Hero, they end the spell early, or Thor dies. Thor cannot move, attack, or cast spells during this ultimate (as his hammer is out of his hands). Mjolnir controls differently than Thor himself, being much faster and having a different turn radius/speed and having flying movement/vision. Range is Global and any contact with an Enemy Hero will count as an impact and end the spell after dealing damage. Hammer has Truestrike.
        [​IMG] Storm Caller: Bonus Damage per Stack - 50/75/100

Notes:

• Mjolnir travels at a speed of 800.
        • Possesses 300/300 Flying Vision
        • Turn Rate: 0.5
    • Level 25: 25% Status Resistance | +2 Second Storm Caller Max Charge
      Level 20: +20 Health Regen | +30 Movement Speed
      Level 15: +250 Health | +30 Attack Speed
      Level 10: +5 Armor | +20 Damage

• dd.mm.yyyy:
        - Statistics Change.
        - Skill1 Change.
        - Etc Change.​

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Added more. As always the numbers are currently placeholders, but I hope they give a better idea on what I'm aiming for.

3. RegulusMoatman

RegulusMoatman New Member

Jun 29, 2016
    I am also kind of new here so my critiques might or might not help.... But I'll try :)

I'm not good with numbers so I won't be criticize it too much.

Okay, so 1st skill. Thematically fitting, sounds a lot like blink strike mixed with sven's. Does the stun apply in an area or only to the target? Just thinking that it might be better to make it an area effect like Sven's skill. Also not sure how the number will work atm but the damage and CD of this skill is better than Blink Strike so maybe you should add more range and maybe extra CD or Mana and put less damage.

2nd skill is too much like Ursa's first skill IMO. Not that it's a very bad thing since AM and QoP also shares a skill, but I think generally people around here like new and different abilities (maybe? CMIIW)

3rd skill has way too much things going on with it for me. I think you should stick with only the disarm and bonus damage for Mountain Crusher and leave out the bonuses for 1st and 2nd skill. Also I think it would be more appropriate if you swap the bonus between 1st and 2nd skill (1st skill target becomes disoriented and thus disarmed, 2nd skill they got blinded by the spark when Mjolnir snacks the ground).

Maybe you should just put the bonus for Thunder Clap to the skill effect itself, to differentiate it from just becoming another Aftershock.

The Ultimate is very interesting. I don't have much criticism for it, maybe someone else with better aptitude in math than me could help with the numbers. I don't think it needs to have truestrike, since technically it doesn't attack the enemy hero. I wonder how it will interact with creeps though (will it damage them? Will it be blocked by them) and map objects like cliffs and trees.

Overall, I think you got a pretty solid idea of a hero. I could clearly sees a synergy between the skills. Channels 3rd skills from behind the shadow before you launch yourself with the 1st skills. Punch some enemies around, slows them down when they start to escape, and then use ults to chase down those that do escape. All of the skills are also fitting thematically, and that's good.

Anyway that's all I have in mind hopefully someone with more experience than me could help you to expand this concept here.

4. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Skills maybe okay, BUT:
    1) Thor in Dota? Really? First of all we already have Zeus and Zeus thematically "ALMOST" same as Thor
    2) You didnt wrote any bio\story, even if you choose "popular" creature (god, human - doesnt matter) - you should write some back story on how he ended up being in Dota universe.
    Dude, if you wanna develop this (or any) hero you should create not only abilities, but story. Even if this concept inspired by something.
    I can change theme and create new story for every hero (ones i create\present here and existing ones if dota).
    Try doing so with this concept, it is fun and effective way to use your inpiration and creativity to create good concept
    Strangely enough, but this concepts reminds me Dampeer.

5. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Thanks for the input man. Like I said above, any is appreciated and you did a good job explaining your positions. XD

1. I didn't want to make Thor too slow to get to enemies or render his playstyle completely useless unless he gets a Blink Dagger to help himself initiate. So I gave his ability a means of initiating from a distance and getting into the thick of things. I'd imagine that giving his stun an AoE might be a bit too much since if were to combine that with the blinding effect from Storm Caller it'd be really cheap and OP. This would be something useful for locking down a lone target or getting rushing into a group of enemies and crippling one of their number before the fight starts.

2. Forgot about Earth Shock, I'll probably need to tweak the values. Ultimately the differences I see is how they reflect their heroes. Unlike Ursa, Thor doesn't have a built in means to increase his attack speed or DPS. So the slow is necessary to keep them in place after he swoops in. It also keeps them in a close enough area for his Storm Caller aura to do some damage if he decides to charge it while in the middle of them.

3. I might need to clean up the description a bit since it's a bit busy or make the DPS aspect of it a Talent. Ultimately I wanted it to add some utility to his abilities and some extra oomph in fights by allowing him to supercharge his moves. Since his first move is based around lightning, increasing the power of it will cause a Blinding effect on the Hero it hits. As for Thunder Clap, since it's based around sound the enhanced force doesn't just cause the ground to shake, but cause a sound so loud enemies cover their ears and are thus Disarmed. I almost added an attack slow bonus, but adding that to everything over all would be OP and having Disarm replace an attack slow would just be redundant. I may tweak the first buff so Blind effects enemies outside of the Stun, since if the target is stunned, having a blinding effect would be really pointless.

As for the auto-attack, the bonus damage will ultimately not matter much in the late game, but just adds some extra edge to his DPS early on since his auto attacks are rather slow in the early game. I almost made it a Purge, but that'd be a bit too much and figured a Dispel would be enough. Adding a Slow on top of that would be too much for early game.

4. I picture that the Ult would have you controlling the hammer alot like a Flying Courier. You have Flying Vision and travel and enhanced speed. You can travel globally until the duration ends and Thor's still alive. It can't target or collide with Creeps since that'd be a rather wasted Ult. It'd be like Assassinating a Creep by accident instead of the Hero next to it. Thing is it doesn't track enemies on its own and you need vision to know where everyone is. So that's where some supports or heroes like BS, Zeus, or TP really help make the Ult a sure shot to hit. I wanted to give it Truestrike so that it won't miss due to Evasion or the like and to trade-off the fact it's damage is based squarely on the normal damage of Thor's multiplied by the critical modifier. The Charges provide a bit of extra bang if you really wanna make sure the target dies. Not sure if there's something else outside of damage I should add to it.

If you have anymore suggestions man, I'm all ears. I wanna make this guy work and I can't do it alone! Thanks again for your input! Have a good one!

6. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I decided to try my hand at making Thor since he's been mentioned in the game view the inclusion of Mjolnir and the fact he's mentioned in the description of the item itself. Also I felt like I could do him differently than they did in Smite since, despite being the God of Thunder, his abilities there are focused on his tendency to go Berserk and nothing to do with his power over storms.

I imagine I will give him a Backstory soon, but I didn't want that to take up more time than fine-tuning his abilities (even if they're currently with placeholder numbers).

I actually did have an idea for Ares that seemed pretty good, but since they're gonna put Mars into the game I'm probably gonna have to revamp him as something else since I highly doubt they're gonna play the same and I'd hate to be accused of trying to be unoriginal.

7. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I'll write "cool story" (about what we talked here and more) later in tavern chat

8. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Neat!

9. RegulusMoatman

Jun 29, 2016
    As I told you, having the same skill is not that grave of a sin. Although having something that could make them unique is always a nice thing. Maybe you should put the disarm as part of the ability instead of a bonus from the 3rd skill.

My problem with the 3rd skill is not exactly the OP-ness, but, that skill has 5 different things going on at the same time. First we got the DPS, then attack modifier, and three different, separate bonuses for his other skills. I like the idea, Thor charging himself with lightning to power-up himself, but having five different effects kind of making it clunky. The DPS and dispel effect are nice and I don't think you should change it, but the bonuses for the 1st and 2nd should be gone. Or make it one bonus that is applied to both eg. range/radius increase or cooldown decrease or apply disarm/blind to anyone around the hero when he uses that skills.

That said I am also quite new here so take it with a grain of salt. You got a solid idea here an only need some help from the more veteran guys :)

10. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Sadly it's hard to find someone willing to spit-ball ideas. I find it's better to have someone to bounce ideas off of to catch stuff you'd miss otherwise.

11. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I could see him making references to Loki, Fenrir, Jormungandr, and Hel after seeing/killing Slark, Lycan, Venomancer, and Death Prophet.

12. RegulusMoatman

Jun 29, 2016
    Hmm, a nice touch. Why Loki for Slark though? I know Loki is associated with snake but that's a bit different from fish aren't it? I think Rubick could be more appropriate. Also, since Jormungandr is said to be located under the sea maybe he could ask Slardar about it :p

13. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I imagine Loki cause he's shifty, sneaky, hides in the shadows, and escaped from a prison guarded by large snakes/eels. XD

14. RegulusMoatman

Jun 29, 2016
    Really? I never know Loki is guarded by snakes.

15. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    His punishment for killing Baldur was to be bound in the entrails of his sons (ew) with a giant serpent above him that would constantly drip venom in his eyes.

16. RegulusMoatman

Jun 29, 2016

Oh right, I forgot about that snake

17. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Any ideas for Talents?

18. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Anyone know why cooldown for Thunder Crash doesn't show the icon?

19. RegulusMoatman

Jun 29, 2016
    No idea for the cooldown, maybe try delete it then put it there again?

As for talent, What you have looks good so far, but maybe add something like cd reduction or extra slow for W?

20. Centauren

Centauren Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Tried, doesn't work.

I'll give it another look later and see what needs tweaking.