1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

This is why dota is dying

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by QoDivine, Apr 18, 2018.

1. QoDivine

QoDivine Member

Dec 11, 2011
    How to slowly turn the best game ever created into vomit

- make pudge arcana
    - 2nd arcana style must be unlocked by retarded means like i am not paying 30 FUCKING euros for it
    -new heroes are cute anime girls and they come every 17 months
    -asshole
    -tilting terrain changes
    -dota plus gives you literally nothing like it is some free of charge doodle but no u fuxking pay for it
    -there was one time when icefrog put 6 new fucjing heroes in one patch
    -now u get 1 anime girl
    -changes of the past year matter only to pros

Whoever is thinking of this customer satisfaction and retention thing should be fired

fine93 likes this.
  2. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014

[​IMG]

3. Louie!

Louie! Member

Jul 19, 2010
    We didnt even get an april fool patch :c

Daddy Sven likes this.
  4. b1ock

b1ock Member

Sep 25, 2014
    xc

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  5. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Pango MK cute animu would bang(olier)

6. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Explain "asshole"?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    frigidsoul and lovestep like this.
  7. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Here's an example why Dota needs to die.

https://www.opendota.com/matches/3839287233

Ember spirit on my team gets pissed off for dying in lane, starts calling us all russian mongoloids and niggers, sells all his items to buy wards to block our camps, and then starts feeding down mid. Will he get punished at all for ruining the game for 9 other people? No of course not.

I suspect this kind of behavior is even encouraged in order to make more people quit the game.

frigidsoul likes this.
  8. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    jesus christ, what mmr u in?! havent had a game like this since ... dont even know. ye ofc tilters and whiners, but no one blocking camps and downright feeding mid lol

9. QoDivine

QoDivine Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I mean the most likely reason thia happens is because u are toxic and dont have reports to report him because u report ppl all the time for shit reasons

What things does it train you for?
    Apart from the last hit and kda comparison in game theres nothing else and remember we are paying for this

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  10. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    My behavior score is >9000, what's yours?

I had reports, and I reported him. I'm not sure what your point is here.

11. Ostarion

Ostarion Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Stop playing, problem solved.

ZealotCatfish likes this.
  12. Vixori

Vixori Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I'd start playing dota again if all heroes were anime girls.

MrFrank likes this.
  13. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    That can't die which is already dead *black man taps finger against forehead*

frigidsoul likes this.
  14. Xmarksthegank

Xmarksthegank Member

Feb 8, 2010
    The downhill started when e-sports became the sole focus. This is not about how the game is being balanced, but how it is being designed. The design shifted radically when "how watchable the game is" became just as important as "how it plays". If not even more important.

Want to watch a game of Dota? Sure, it's going to be exciting! Fights all the time! Both teams can win until the very end! Exciting Exciting Exciting!

Unfortunately, the opposite happens. All the most memorable moments in the e-sports side of the game happened in the years past. Now we get "exciting games" which do nothing but drown in the mass of "exciting games". Having a constant stream of "exciting games" is also mentally exhausting in a game where turnaments run multiple sets in a day. Every team has to deploy more or less similar strategies and drafts, resulting in teams which no longer have a discernable playstyle.

Meanwhile an individual has less weight in the game than ever before, making public games less enjoyable to play. There is less incentive in trying to fix the things you could have done better, less incentive to get better, and more frustration in a game where the primary mode of play queues you with randoms in a competitive environment.

15. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    MK + Pango = best waifu

frigidsoul likes this.
  16. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Older dota is more diverse caused by less exposure of the current esport meta.. Now, we can see what current optimal strat easily and pros tend to pickup safer route which limit the variety of strategy..

"Individual give less weight is bad" it is the opinion of mostly middle / core spammer where you think you can win the game by urself going snowball from mid/safe lane. But it not fun as a non-core player to have their winning rely on 1 / 2 position. I mean, do you think people that play support happy when the game state decided by who's gonna win mid?

17. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    TBH, dota was never really in the condition where one individual can win games. Old times were mostly static where 4 protect 1 + farmfest + sacrificing the #5 is (almost) always the way to go (not to mention they are not even influenced that much by the meta like what you just said + prize pool was not 26 mil usd, it is just what seem to be the more effective way).

Now, instead of expanding the 4 protect 1 strat, the game made it harder to win just with 1 fully farmed hero by increasing the value of the other 4. More item choices (previously, most items are only for late games and only blink as mobility option). Changing the gold mechanic. The bounty runes. etc.

So, IMO, the change is more about the powerlevel difference between #1~5 and their powerspikes. Coordination will be needed in higher MMR/rank games. However, I think a good player will still climb decently (same with older times if they have a similar system although core spamming will be more consistent in older patch) because of the better game fundamentals and having a better support or a better core increase your team chance to win. I don't have any data for my last statement tho. Just a speculation.

Tl;dR After all this time, I still enjoy DotA. Somehow. And actually enjoying the change to this direction (except when the hohohaha meta. oh god the cancer)

18. b1ock

b1ock Member

Sep 25, 2014
    xc

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Haasva likes this.
  19. Xmarksthegank

Xmarksthegank Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Older Dota was more diverse because of power curves. You could pick up an early game strategy and stomp your enemies before the carries got big. You could pick up a late game strategy and attempt to stall the game until you could finally end it. Of course not all the different strategies were at a balance at any given point, but there was definitely a greater variety of things that teams attempted to do in the past.

And also because rubberband was not there to punish you for making a more stacked distribution of the eggs in your basket.

Snowballing should be a thing. Yes, it can feel great for the player who snowballs and demoralizing for the team getting snowballed, but on the other hand, killing the snowballing hero will feel meaningful and good when you get to do it.

Supporting to the point where supports had nothing but brownboots and magic stick until all eternity was bad. Stacking could still retain the gold for the stacker, the gold tickrate could still be higher, AoE kill gold rewards can stay here, but the rubberband BS has to go. Kill streaks were a valid system with fixable flaws, instead of just counting kills they should have accounted for heroes like naga who had the ability to get 600 creep kills with zero hero kills and only be worth 290 gold when they finally died.

The main difference in the streak system compared to the current system was that when you died, the streak was reset. That was a good concept which will make a big kill rewarding but that's it. You won't get the big handout the next time around and the impact of the rubberband is reduced.

---

It's more like flat because they all have their roles. One needs another to properly function in a teamfight. The itemization changes this a lot too, carries cannot carry glimmers, it's not worth the money let alone the slot. Supports get less gold but it doesn't really matter because you're playing your role and the items are priced appropriately. Bring in the talents and the utility angle becomes so significant that even in a lategame situation you most likely don't even want more carries.

MMR is not really even a consideration, the difference between "best players" and people who are not is still huge, for the most part, the game has people who suck and people who suck a little less, and this reaches pretty deep into the leaderboards. If you were to be boosting it'd get a bit more grindy closer to your "real rating" than it used to. It's not that the skill has been reduced in this game, because you are still playing against other people... it just shifted in ways where pub play is less enjoyable, the pro games are less interesting to watch for lack of team gameplay identity, and most games end up playing more or less the same way.

20. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    They are trying to make it flat compared to the past DotA design, I guess. One of the best things I like from this design is the fact that support is not just a dead hero because of a random collateral damage >30 min into the game.

yeah. I just consider MMR to be a good metric for a large number of games, not for each individual game anyway (because we don't have any other number served by valve).

About the pro-games, well I would agree in this patch tho but not all patch before this. this recent patch made deathball too effective compared to other strat hence the streamlined playstyle of proplayers. Although, It is also a bit better when they change back the hero kill formula into the old style.