1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

The International 2017 - Main Event

Discussion in 'Competitive' started by Blarrg, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Abstract.Raze

Abstract.Raze Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Plot armor was too strong as expected, between all the losses and earnings, I made a 22% profit but I closely lost everything what a banger experience!!!

2. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    well that final was ... eh ... quite underwhelming. it seems like grand finals are guaranteed to be onesided, boring and overall sucky whenever newbee are involved.
    i also didnt like the fact that newbee tried to play more or less the same set of heros every game and hesitated to actually try smth to catch liquid offguard. i mean i get it, theres a huge amount of money on the line and ur super cautious/dont wanna risk anything. but this TI showed a great vatriety of effective drafts and if u got already trashed super hard in 2 games, u gotta change some stuff man.
    newbee was just plain predictable in the grand finals and legit scared. they kinda just let the game passively happen rather than taking an active role. quite a different team in the finals.

well good for liquid and im quite happy for kuro, finally hes made it after all that mocking.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  3. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Aquatic TI= Team Liquid

It was foreseen.

Jokes asides, meh finals. Still no 3-2

4. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
  5. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    i dont watch game 1, but game 2 and 3 was not really underwhelming.. newbee looks like they got it until some decisive moment from TL..
    game 3 was actually insane, miracle 0.4sec Aegis Expires, and 200HP omnislash..

TBH its true that this TI have the most impact on draft but that also because TL member have such wide hero pool for wide variety of strategy (except for GH which role is securing 1st ban IO and play some open drafting roaming support like ES)

6. Brambl3claw

Brambl3claw Member

Jan 4, 2013
    It was underwhelming, and you could predict the game off of the lineup alone, even though newbee with its shitter lineup in game 2 had a flying start.

Pretty sad really, whole TI was the only TI i haven't been following reguarly, its all been a bore. I'm seeing drafts even a 1k player would cringe at. The finals were the only drafts that look fairly solid, although even then it is possible to see who is going to win.

Quality game valve, really. Game decided on draft. Pffft. Rebound mechanics and artificial stall screw with this game.

But Talents really nailed the coffin down for sure.

Mr. BoB likes this.
  7. Mr. BoB

Mr. BoB Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Really hope this game evolves for the better. When do you think the next patch is gonna be released?

8. invul_nerable

invul_nerable Member

Mar 13, 2010
  9. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Every patch Valve has made has caused Dota to become worse and worse, more and more LoL-like, lowered the skill floor into the basement. What makes you think another patch will improve things?

10. Tolsimir

Tolsimir Member

Jul 15, 2012
    First time that the team I was rooting for actually won the whole thing, WP Liquid! I am really happy for Kuroky, now just Burning has to step up and win the next year.

The finals were really underwhelming though. Even in the games where Newbee looked like they were building an advantage, they just got rolled over in teamfights. Atleast the lower-bracket finals were pretty hype.

11. Mr. BoB

Mr. BoB Member

Sep 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

12. Lateboomer

Lateboomer Member

Jun 21, 2009
    For some reason, TL is reminding me of the TI3 Alliance with more strats. Wonder if the nerfhammer will break TL like it did to Alliance.

13. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    ...L-liquid won..? but Chi..na. numba .. wan? :((((((

14. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Expect nerfs of NP, ES, Lich, nightstalker, Io, Necro, KOTL.

15. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    FUCKING BUFF LION YOU FUCKING POS HACK ICEFRAAAAAAAAAAWG!!!!

16. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Mana drain needs to not be dogshit. That ability is so bad you don't even pick it in the last rounds of ability draft.

Bad for heroes that get levels, because then you'd rather level up another nuke, and bad for supports because your skill points are precious and Mana drain is terrible if you don't invest in it.
    And otherwise all Lion has is a very long CD ult with a weaker impale.

Whenever I'm stuck playing Lion for whatever reason I skip the drain until the game gives me no other option to level. A mere 425 gold for stick and raindrop (which you would want anyway) and some modicum of mana management and you're fine.

Though for coolness factor I'd be cool with OSfrog giving Finger of Death some massive buff, like +300 magic damage at all ranks. That would be cray.

17. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Yeah, he needs to not be a sucky SS, really needs something. I wouldn't mind buffs to Mana Drain but what I'd actually like is +dmg on Earth Spike and and FoD, even through talents if IF feels like it. SS can have his stupid long duration single-target lockdown, waveclear, towerpush and retarded base damage if they at least BUFF the damage on Lion's spells. Make him good at one thing at least.

IF will probably end up buffing Mana Drain anyway, 30/60/90/120 drain per second incoming (not that I'm complaining, it's what I usually max anyway).

I'd actually like him to shorten duration and buff the drain, so he doesn't have to stand still for an eternity for it to have an effect (standing still is a death sentence in teamfights anyway), increase manacost to compensate... but I made Mana Drain rebalance suggestions 4 years ago and I don't think Froggeh gives a shit about my opinions xdxdxd

Sucks to have a "not picked a single time at TI" hero as my fave x(

EDIT:
    Actually @Lithary had a pretty cool suggestion in my thread, Lion can transfer mana to allies. He used to make, er, "outlandish" suggestions but doesn't feel as weird in today's DotA what with talents and everything.

18. RashardLewis

RashardLewis New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Looks to scripted rigged event why? LGD/LFY/Newbee are stronger than Liquid. The truth is Valve wanted to EU team win.

There would be less crying if the games weren't obviously rigged. Newbee was unrecognizable. But Liquid's win made a better storyline for the western audience. Notice how the production never showed a single frame of Newbee after their loss. Their role was just to fed Liquid's glory, once it was done, they got dismissed to oblivion.
    Totally unhappy with how the grand finals played out. Not that Newbee lost, because I don't support any team in particular, but the way they did.

19. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    What the hell? What kind of team passes up in winning TI? They'd be set in money ($10,849,965 is much much more than
    $3,945,442 and literally set you for LIFE) as well as the honor if winning TI, the pinnacle of a dota 2 player's achievements.

Their Chinese audience surpasses the Western audience, Icefrog learned frigging mandarin to interact with the Chinese.

Possibly because their dreams had been crushed? The farther you get the more it hurts when you lose. Also, leddit was crying about how 'evil' the Machine segments with the losing teams were..

They have themselves to blame. Newbee has a history of choking against Western teams, so much that it I was incredibly shocked to see them 2-0 EG.

And lastly, I can't phantom Valve even bothering to do something like this. Why would Valve, an organisation notorious for their hands off approach rig their own multimillion tournament to make a disappointing final? There is nothing in it for Valve when a leak would kill their games competitive scene which they are currently trying to make as transparent as possible (which is why Valve publicized their point system).

Sometimes I think like PD is just some sick man's psychological experiment on me, and I'm the only real person on this website. They mix reasonable people in the midst, and add people so delusional I never thought it was possible too see how I would react to such decadence.

20. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You got baited by one of the most obvious troll accounts on PD, 'grats.