1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Testing for Pseudo-Random Distribution of Uphill Miss Chance

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by stripeythetiger, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:40 AM.

1. stripeythetiger

stripeythetiger New Member

Tuesday
    Hi,
    I am doing a math project on Dota 2 regarding Pseudo-Random Distribution (PRD). This is not to be confused with PRNG, or true random events in Dota 2.

Here is a description of PRNG and PRD in Dota 2, from the Gamepedia Wiki:
    On the same wiki article, there is a section which mentions that as of 6.87, evasion has had PRD. However, it states that tests have not been made to determine if Blind or Uphill Miss Chance also use PRD.

My question is this: How can i develop a program for monitoring miss rate? My plan at the moment is to:
    1. Spawn a Timbersaw and give him 6 hearts with max "Reactive Armor".
    2. Spawn a Sniper with max "Take Aim" and 6 Moonshards for fast attack rate and long range.
    3. Set sniper to attack the Timber from low ground at maximum possible range; Timber has enough armor that he will not die from Sniper.
    4. Set to run overnight.

The only issue with this plan is that I cannot figure out a way to quickly monitor if the attacks miss or not. The combat log shows every time Timber gets hit, but not when an attack misses.

If I zoom into Timber, then I will only be able to hear the shots hitting him. Any misses make no sound. However, using a sound threshold recording program would only display successful attacks; I would like to be able to record both misses and hits.

If anyone had any tips on how to record misses and hits, I would appreciate it very much. I have zero coding experience, but I would be willing to learn.

Thank you very much for taking the time to go through my post, I appreciate all help! :)

2. stripeythetiger

stripeythetiger New Member

Tuesday
    mapdesigner likes this.
  3. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Hello, there is some info in the wiki that I doubt and here it is:
    1-) But I vaguely remember I have tested evasion and it could procc moment f courage even with butterfly.

Nw eitherway, the wiki is probably right but if you want correct result you might as welldouble check that and it is easy to do so. Just buy 5 butterflies and see if timbersaw gains stacks.

2-) once you establish that then you can begin. Now are you able to read combat log currently? If you are able to detect how many attacks were successful, you can easily work out how many were missed.

3-) what you will need to work out then number of missed attacks is a convenient Base attack time and attack speed. If it was for me, I would select one of the following heroes: Queen of pain, Morfling, Wind ranger, or Terror Blade which all have 1.5 Base Attack Time. Given 300% attack speed, these heroes would make an attack every 0.5 seconds. Now if you count how many attacks were successful, you can work out how many missed;

Total attacks = Total Attacking Time * (Attack Speed / Base Attack Time); in our case Aspd / BAT = 2 Attacks per second.

You can also do semilar calculations for ther heroes with different BAT. huskar and lina might be convenient for calculations as well due to having 1.6 BAT and with 400 attack speed they would make 2.5 attacks per second.

It might even not take too much yo get results. Please though tell us how you tackled the problem once done and maybe share the paper ;)

4-) Thanks for the links. I didnt know old PD is still accessible.

4. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Finding the total number of hits and misses won't tell you if it uses a PRD. You have to look at how the misses are distributed. If they look "clumpy," then it is true random. If they look relatively uniform, then it is PRD.

mapdesigner likes this.