1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Techies:Need some decent item build

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by Redeemed A.I., Dec 31, 2016.

1. Redeemed A.I.

Redeemed A.I. Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hello guys,
    I've been trying techies in trench tier games.I've been copying high mmr players gamestyle and item builds which usually means techies going in the offlane buying soul ring,finishing arcane boots then making bloodstone.
    However,I find myself losing potential exponenially after finishing bloodstone.What I do love is aether lens and dagger as well as the +200 cast range ability,making me blink to insane distances,placing my traps from attack range .. and then waiting for allies to finish the enemies.
    However a bloodstone techies is cursed to forever place mines and use pocket deny as he cannot auto attack properly,he cannot disable properly (root is not that amazing late game compared to even rocket which silences) and he generally does not pose any real threat after the 30 minute mark.
    I tried aghanim's too,but without a mana regen item and a dagger for nice positioning,the item falls short (though not too short).

Conclusion:

-What item build do you do and what is your gameplay tricks for a mid-late game techies?
    -How do you play a late game techies (except the obvious aghanim's len's turtler).
    -Do you like the new team rocket ability? :)

Thanks for your time!

2. Wonkdonkler

Wonkdonkler Moderator Staff Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Depends on the game, my usual is Soul Ring > Arcane Boots > Aether > Aghs and whatever the team needs after that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Bloodstone. My usual items later on are BoT, Hex, maybe Force Staff.

I like splitpushing with Techies, so a Desolator, Hurricane Pike, Necrobook, and some late game DPS items are pretty good too.

Dagger is fine but imo even less needed after the change to Suicide. That's 2k gold not spent on mana items early on, and later that Force Staff will net you more kills/hexes/initiations + if you go for a heavy hitter splitpush build it upgrades nicely into a Hurricane Pike.

edit:
    Playstyle of course also depends on the game, sometimes the best choice is to turtle and wait for the enemy to make a mistake.

Cast range talent + Aether gets your cast range so nice that you just worry what to do in between cooldowns (that's why I like that Hex + DPS later on)

I absolutely love the new Suicide, it is actually useful throughout the game and I finally stopped questioning if buying that Blink Dagger is worth it (its not)

Just to add, in some games its worth considering EBlade and Octarine too.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Redeemed A.I. likes this.
  3. Redeemed A.I.

Redeemed A.I. Member

Jun 10, 2009
    My final build consists of octarine,ethereal,travels,bloodstone,dagger,aghanim's and necro on buypack.

Early build I prefer tranquil boots over arcane,since it gives the necessary mobility and regeneration after team rocket for easy hp regen (you lose half your hp,this is rather significant,plus it synergizes perfectly with soul ring).It's also good for scouting.You can always abuse the soul ring energy booster on buypack for some extra mp.

Mid game I usually have bloodstone finished,I grab my dagger/ghost scepter and try to mine as many places as possible.With the extra cast range dagger gets upgraded as well unlike pike (on self).The ghost scepter is used after I initiate with team rocket so I can place mines with ease (unless enemy has bkb,which they usually don't).

If I have bot allies,we usually end up late game where I have to get aghanim's and octarine core.

Dagger and ethereal get major upgrades from cast range and cooldown reduction.Pike is better than dagger for escaping,but much worse for initiating.They have their pros and cons.I wish I had more slots so I could use both of them..

So I'm actually rooting for octarine,ethereal,travels (previously tranquil instead of arcane boots),bloodstone,dagger,aghanim's.

I'm...no so sure about the dps build.After Icefrog removed the stats gain from techies,the hero kinda falls short on dps.However that doesn't mean it's not viable late game.I'd like to see a dps techies to be honest.

4. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Soul Ring + Arcane are the rush. Then I'll go eul -> aghs -> octarine/bloodstone/hex. His flash farm is incredible, and I often find I don't need the gpm talent (despite it being a hefty one), favoring the 60 second respawn reduction. I'm honestly not a fan of aether lens because the damage bonus is wasted except on blast off, but I can see its merit if you think safely dropping mines is an issue.

5. MortalKombat3

MortalKombat3 New Member

Dec 29, 2016
    Lol, obviously -60 sec respawn timer is a must-have. For ANY hero, damn it, and especially - for hero like techies. Respawn time reduction is INSANELY GOOD in lategame, gold isnt.