1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Youtube Channels

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by Wrooks, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Suggestions Youtube Discussion

[​IMG]

I want to get other people to join in the idea of producing videos about suggestions for youtube. This has the potential of giving more exposure to people who are not a part of our worldview to get feel for it and to join in on the fun.

This thread is to discuss all matters regarding a youtube channel for suggestion ideas.
    Meaning if you just want to discuss you can do that. If you want to gather others into your project you can. If you just want to post your project you can here. Sven has graciously listed programs that can be used to start your own project. The more people we enlist into this idea the more exposure our friendly little forum gets.
      • History of Suggestions (summer's idea)
      • Spell Bank (My idea)
      • Discussion format (My idea)
      • News (My idea)
      • top 10 ideas (Summer's Idea)
      • Classroom type ordeal (my idea)
      • Suggestion and Meta Breakdown (Summer's idea)
      • Unique Model Display (Would need a modeler to showcase this)
      • Animated Series (The Arsonist Idea)
      • Review suggestions (Sven's idea)
      • Top 10 themes
    • Sven - Hero crafters
      The Arsonist -
      1Frame -
      Wrooks -
    • Audacity (Audio recorder and editor)
      Gimp (Picture & photo editor}
      Davinci Resolve (Video Editor)
    • Collab Channels

As of now no collab channels exist but some are coming soonish.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. TheArsonist

TheArsonist Member

Apr 26, 2015
    If you don't mind me asking, why several Youtube channels? Why not just 1 with a variety of series?

3. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    i believe it doesn't matter. We could showcase all the shows on one channel or display one or two shows on several channels. It's just more for me to keep track off as the filmer/poster.
    its like comparing epic rap battles to extra credits. EC has many series while ERB has one show. Also many channels makes it feel less like a monopoly but yea one or two channels with many shows is ok...it depends on what the group wants and how they want the audience to feel when they come to access the shows.

TheArsonist likes this.
  4. TheArsonist

TheArsonist Member

Apr 26, 2015
    BTW I'd gladly help if needed. I have some knowledge in Photoshop, Animate, Premiere and After Effects (I subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud)

Idea Suggestion: An animated series. I know this isn't really a Dota Suggestion series but it could be done like that and also add some humour.

5. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    we should discuss this...if you did that, would you want me to hand it off to you after i record the audio? Also can i just put you down as concept artist or should i rename it?

As a youtube channel i was thinking Dota-forge or dota2forge only idea i have right now...

@TheArsonist who would be the main character of the show a dota hero or a person suggesting dota heroes, items, etc?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    :pirate:

Wish I could do more, but my laptop fucks up upon rendering. I know, I know, potato tier. :cry:

7. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    if you're still up for it we can record using my recorder and i or the arsonist (who ever we decide on ) can adapt it to video /and post it to youtube. maybe we should keep hero crafters as a review type thing. I'll list that idea as yours, @Daddy Sven (i forgot all about reviewing ideas). When you say render what do you mean?

might beable to get the arsonist to adapt it to video. otherwise i will be doing it.

That was exciting to watch though....
    it wasn't to difficult to follow along and it had nice pictures.

we have a few weeks before I want to start recording. for now i want to get down the job assignments and everyone's availability

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    right now i just want to get the jobs assigned and get everyone's availability for April and March

Daddy Sven likes this.
  8. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    maybe @Daddy Sven should organize this he has the most experience and has delivered quality videos

@Daddy Sven can i list you as director (and personality if you want to)
    you'll be working alongside the script writers (most likely @1Frame_Dynamism and video adapters (Me or possibly @TheArsonist ) to make sure what is delivered is quality.

that means we'll be producing your vision for the shows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as historical as hero crafters is i think dota-forge or dota2forge are better names.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. Jon

Jon Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Right now (I use this as a preface because my opinion will probably change), I don't see much in terms of discussion on suggestions that couldn't be done on the forum itself.

For metagame discussions, and other broader topics, videos could be good. Particularly it might allow for balance debates (I shudder at the name of it) to happen in a productive way.

10. TheArsonist

TheArsonist Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Apparently I don't get alerts when I'm mentioned, and I got that ticked in my alert preferences... weird!

Anyway, I was hoping the animated series would be collaborative work but I can do it solo if need be. I was thinking maybe there could be a short story with the suggestions kinda implemented in the game (i.e. Bunch of heroes that are hopeless against the other team because of the picks go into a teamfight and they miraculously wipe them - "How the fuck did this happen?" one asks. "Well I got this new item that does blah blah blah...")

By video adapters, you mean codecs?

11. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    @Jon
    Its to broaden the users interested in this type of thing... of course there will be haters but some people prefer youtube over forums. Also out of every niche in the dota world, suggestions has no youtube presence which is lacking imo spotlight, strategy, stories, top plays, pro players and the list goes on. I remember lumi tried to start a suggestions presence on youtube but since he probably is not interested, and more into commentary; he didn't stick with it.

I expect this sort of thing to be slow meaning that we gain fans slowly over the next 3 to 5 years. (it be nice if it went faster but i dont see that happening)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @TheArsonist
    ehm i mean by like taking the audio and attaching images or vids to it. @TheArsonist does that make sense? Also about the animated series its you're idea run with it.

1Frame_Dynamism likes this.
  12. Wonkdonkler

Wonkdonkler Moderator Staff Member

Aug 18, 2012
    So sort of a podcast + showcase right? How high of a production quality are you looking to start at?

13. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    well since im using a handheld recorder to get the audio and either gameplay or pictures as background, something along the lines of writingexcuses (without the humor probably), extra credits mashed up with the video beary showed me ehm what was it...youtube's game/film theorists? but the topic is dota. @Daddy Sven's video is an excellent example of the quality im looking for reason i was thinking of making him director.

14. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    I'm at work atm so I can't write much. Anyway, it's best if we all just did this on our own and just did occasional collabs. Reason is, we'll be posting more content and even if we end up talking about the same suggestion, that's good. It will give it more exposure and different points of view on it. Doing it this way will also open the doors for more formats in which the suggestions are presented.

15. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I offered to do this as a team because a lot of people dont have the time/equipment power. While I might have the equipment power, soonish, i can function as an outlet for users to express themselves through youtube. And also most successful youtube channels are produced by teams and not solo. Also as a team we have more incentive to keep pushing instead of doing this part time and quitting midway through.

The biggest hurdle is scheduling and team vision...Also there are a lot of ideas up there. Also having a team behind you doesn't mean you cannot go solo it just means that to the audience you look like you're solo when in reality you have multiple outlets supporting your visions.

16. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I agree that the more voices we have the better. Strategy for dota has like ten outlets. Dota2portal, dotacinema, purgegamers, game-leap, baumi, lumi and the list goes on. meanwhile dota suggestions could do with more voices. I agree we do need more voices, but right now im the only one who has stated that they can record audio, if more people can record audio than we can have faster, and more voices for the audience to choose from.

Lol @Daddy Sven and @TheArsonist have differeing views. The former wants many voices, while the latter wants one channel.

17. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    All of the software you need is free.

Audacity (audio editing)
    Gimp (image editing)
    Davinci Resolve (video editing)

I have rendering problems(video editor creating the video) due to a problem with my laptop's battery. But everybody else should have no problem. Video doesn't need to be perfect, just share your opinion. After not uploading or discarding over 50 videos/projects, I deeply regret not posting them. Even if they were shit, something would've been out.

For this type of content to become interesting and viable, more people need to upload it. The sugg community has shrunk a lot and became more dispersed and as such don't see proposing ideas as anything serious. That's mainly because they don't know the history of Dota and how important we are to the game. So by showing players that a big number of people are interested in improving the game, they'll want to tag along. Just like how posting your idea in a forum with 2-3 active people isn't as fun as posting in a forum with 20-30 active people.

18. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    We could have 1 collab channel where we most much, much higher quality videos. Kinda like what RelaxYou'reFine did.

19. TheArsonist

TheArsonist Member

Apr 26, 2015
    I think I can record audio too. I have a decent mic mount for my dslr which can be used for recordings too.

I was thinking the same, we could have 1 collab channel (PlayDota? :D) and the rest can have their own for their solo projects.

Daddy Sven likes this.
  20. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    The idea is to get more exposure for suggestions, so i see your point, but i don't know if many people would want to go at it solo also does audacity record your voice?? if it does thats a step up for anyone who cannot afford a mic/recorder.