1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

So should people put their credentials (MMR, hero winrates) in the guide post?

Discussion in 'Guides' started by kaybo999, Oct 9, 2016.

1. kaybo999

kaybo999 New Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Not to sound like a dick but it's easy to make it sound like you know what you're doing. And we all want to learn from better players than ourselves, don't we? Anyway, discuss.

Jakrasia likes this.
  2. dimwit105

dimwit105 Member

Oct 8, 2016
    It depends, a guide is only a guide. If you see something you don't like feel free to not follow it. I don't think its necessary to provide those things, as long as the guide writer can back what they've written up with logic and reason

3. OXD

OXD Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I don't mind as long as they don't brag off their MMR and shit like what most people do these days.

4. Cheesymeat

Cheesymeat New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    I think that even though I only have 3k mmr and hours that I have a strong enough grasp on the game to tell if something could actually work or not. This is my opinion on the matter.

5. restocker

restocker Member

Oct 10, 2009
    It can be helpful to say what bracket you play in, only due to the fact that you can say what works and what doesn't work in a certain bracket. For example, something that works in 6K won't work in 3K, people usually assume that there is ONLY a trickle down effect. Meaning something that is done in 6K should be done in 3K or 4K, this isn't always the case. Although in theory you would want a 3K player to be doing the things that a 6K player would be doing, certain things are just inefficient/impractical for a player of that skill level. Particular heroes are more effective in different brackets and certain play styles are better as well (at least from what I can tell from my time watching my 2K, 3K and 4K friends, which is vastly different than my 6K+ friends).

Now getting back to the MMR of the writer, it is always helpful to say what bracket you are in. Especially for the purpose of letting the reader know what bracket this guide is written for and more importantly understanding where this guide was play tested. This is not to knock on the logic of the person writing the guide. I think one of the worst things to do is to discount a player because of his/her MMR. It's imperative that you look at the validity of the arguments being made and assess if there is a strong foundation for the arguments being made. If someone makes a guide about a Bloodseeker Dagon build being OP, then they have to explain the strengths and the weaknesses of the build, and have a logical thought process.

On a side note, I've occasionally had more interesting Dota 2 converstations (regarding hero builds/items and general theory crafting) with some of my low 3K friends than my 4K friends. The beautiful thing about Dota is that it can be dissected and fully understood by a 1K player who is just mechanically challenged to all hell. The chances of finding someone like this would be extremely uncommon, but ultimately it can be the case. The most important thing is as a reader you have to understand the scenarios in game that will resonate with what the guide is saying. For example, a guide may be by a 4K player that says, you should bottle crow when you can. But as the reader you have to understand in which situations that is possible and more importantly whether or not bottle crowing is hindering what your team can do.

In the end I think the value of what you learned is mostly dependant on the reader more so than the writer. The writer can be 2K, 3K, 4K or 7K, it doesn't really matter too much, it's mostly on the person reading the guide more so than the writer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Fixthemix and 5chneemensch like this.
  6. Cheesymeat

Cheesymeat New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Same here, I think the reasoning behind this is that they are used to seeing weird unorthodox builds and are open to new things where as higher skill players prefer what they know works. Or that higher level players need to know that something works before trying it or accepting it.

7. kaybo999

kaybo999 New Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Agree about the bracket. Like putting in your post "I played 60 games on this in ~3k with an X winrate etc." would be nice. Maybe that could be added into the guidelines?

Jakrasia likes this.
  8. judhapanggabea7

judhapanggabea7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
  9. 163

163 New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Yeah I think it should be a requirement

Jakrasia likes this.
  10. AYoungs

AYoungs New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    I personally don't see it as much of a weightage when creating guides. It's like:

1) A good player doesn't necessary means he can create a good guide. It may not be well-explained, or not touching on the crucial factors.

2) A good guide may not necessarily be created by a pro player. It could be he/she tends to play badly due to anxiety or executing last minute decisions builds up during game, but after reviewing the replays have a very clear idea on what could be done to have higher chances of winning.

11. iser

iser Member

Jun 10, 2009
    100%. it should note what mmr range it is written for.

mikrodizels and Jakrasia like this.
  12. Lama051

Lama051 Moderator Staff Member

Nov 13, 2009
    It is optional, not requirement.

Some people are great players but do not play ranked at all. Some players are terrible and are high MMR simply because they just abuse Fotm heroes.

FreeLanceFoX likes this.
  13. Jakrasia

Jakrasia Member

Apr 30, 2012
  14. Chamango

Chamango New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    My mmr is 1400. I strongly disagree with posting it publicly.

15. Jakrasia

Jakrasia Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I'll take this as sarcastic contribution to the discussion.

16. sylent27

sylent27 New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Number of games and number of hours put into the game should be required, MMR optional.

17. Overpowerade

Overpowerade Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Want me to help u git gud?

I can teach u enough stuff to raise ur mmr by another 1400.

18. thisgamelull

thisgamelull Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Until this is implemented i refuse to provide any knowledge to you meme spouting casuals Kappa.

On a serious note, making guides for specific MMRs is more meaningful than generalising to a broader audience. You can tell someone to make Vanguard on Antimage during a tough laning phase, but this is meaningless for someone who cant even draw creep aggro.

This forum could easily thrive in regards to number of users/threads/posts made, but quality is far superior to quantity.
    I would rather have one single thread every month where intelligent conversation is encouraged, as opposed to this daily gibberish that takes little to no time to spew.

For example I made this same thread last week - mods should not allow multiple threads discussing the same issues; this only creates clutter and also prevents ALL posts to be viewed in a single thread (this allows each user to have full knowledge of said topic)

Why do you think the only information we get from 7k+ players is to stack and pull at :53 #gameleap
    We do not need players typing x,y,z is effective. They must show why it is so, or when it is plausible,etc.
    Until all information is critiqued to discourage 'lazy' posts, whichever sub forum it may be, and encourage those with total understanding to share their beliefs, this forum will remain as the 'cleverer reddit'.

Jakrasia likes this.
  19. NotGaybutSexisSex

NotGaybutSexisSex New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    My Mmr is just barely 2k however I feel whenever you display your MMR, someone will argue with you and use your MMR as their argument, I had an argument on Leddit with someone the other day who was 4k about Aghs on Jug where they said because it worked and their MMR was higher I was a retard.

Thats an extreme and I think he was trolling but arguments like that are why I prefer to look at the guide at face value, not thinking its so deep and out of the box if an 8k made it, or retarded noob build if a 1k made it.

20. thisgamelull

thisgamelull Member

Jul 3, 2016
    While I agree with your notion of preventing prejudice, we do not need the 99% attempting to contribute in a discussion being conducted by the 1%.

Imagine Einstein and Tesla proposing theories to each other. Suddenly Donald Trump enters the debate hypothesising what he believes to be relevant. Do you get my point?
    I'm not saying every 8k is an Einstein, nor every 1k is a Trump; but credentials add to a healthier environment when deliberating Dota/Science/anything.

However I am quite certain this will not be implemented. Prove me wrong mods/admins, I beg you - even if it is only for certain subs.

Jakrasia likes this.