1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

So, i tried Dotaplus. Ranked roles could use some tweaks.

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Skurai, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I am subscribed to dotaplus now. The ranked roles function is useful.
    Queueing for support position = fast, almost instant at times
    Queueing for carry position can take up to 15mins LOL.
    Queueing for safe/off lane can take 5-7mins or so.

Thus, there is a need for more support players, less mid players.

So, we still need to make supports more fun to play. Making couriers cheap, giving good gold for obs wards are steps in the right direction.

Getting more support queuers and less mid/safe/offlane queuers

Why not consider using dotaplus points to influence ranked role queueing?
    Give 50 points per support player queue, with a limit of 500 per week.
    Let it cost 25 points per mid lane queue, and u can lose up to 250 points maximum?
    This isnt much but it might help a little.

Making queue times shorter

Furthermore, why not let there be 1 free ranked roles queue per week for non-subscribers. Let it be a support role only queue. This is to entice them into joning dota plus....although I would prefer if it could be a free option, rather than a paid for option lol. Or maybe there can be a ranked role only subscription at a cheaper price point. We could use more players I believe.

Another option is let good support players who are not-dotaplus subscribers queue for ranked roles but ONLY for support role. Maybe it can be given to them like random item drops. This is only for good support players.
    This will help make games match faster.

2. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skurai:
    Or like, give them the ability to instantly find a match and let other players naturally take longer ?

While your proposition will work, why would you think that will change the nature of players ? Most of them will still pick cores and the little supports you have will just once more separate between Plus matches and normal ones.
    Dividing the player base was a bad move IMO.

For example the small number of players in Australia have problems and they can choose different modes, but no one play them because the lack of players.

In more populated servers you have a lot of players but also a lot of them play different modes, thus increasing the waiting time for every single one of them by a lot.
    While I do like a bit more the whole Plus concept with roles - the general thing of multiple places to wait is overall bad.

And on the topic of supports - most supports are beyond terrible ... even worse. In every single match below 5k I played the supports were more of a hindrance then a help for me and were doing more harm then good in any stage of the game.
    So I don't want more supports - the quality of the players is much more important.

3. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    The player base has already been split due to dota plus and ranked roles.
    At least this way, there will be less queue time in dota plus ranked roles.
    If the player base isnt split, that would require ranked roles to be free and not only available with dota plus.

As for supports being terrible, at least they ARE supporting lol.

4. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skurai:
    Not if they are not supporting.
    Plenty of cases where they don't ward or ward on completely irrelevant places - which is the same as not warding.
    Then you have them screwing your early game - the only place which they have impact on, so instead of impacting the game in your favor - their impact is only negative for their allies.

At the late-game, because most low rated games reach that stage, where even a passive 4 man team with one hero committed to the jungle can still win, because they now have more farmed heroes - are in better position then a team with 5 players, one or two from which 'supports' prolonging the game and having no farm at all.

Basically it's better for those players just to pick some decent semi-carry and buy courier, at least in the late game they won't feed as hard as being the 'support' and doing nothing positive.

I'm not against supports, I'm against those picking a supposed support hero and then completely butcher the role.

5. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    This is why i keep saying, support work needs to be FUN or else people would never do it LOL.
    People only play for fun. Nothing else.
    Good news is that courier is now 50 gold, ob wards give decent gold,etc.

Thats why queue time for support is 10-30secs, and for everything else, is 5-15 mins in ranked roles. I am now queueing near 6 mins for a safe lane role and no match yet lol. If i queue support, will be under a minute.

6. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skurai:
    Then why don't you search as a support ?

7. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I do that when i want to play as a support. This isnt about me.
    It is about fixing the imbalance. It will make everyone happier and leads to higher quality games.
    Ranked roles have clearly shown that players hate to play support as it is not fun. I been saying this for a long time lol.

kamukag3e likes this.