1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier's Civ VI

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Greaves, Oct 10, 2016.

1. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ok, this scenario is trash. I won it on t47 with 5 archers and a scout taking Egyptian cities. I guess, I will need to leave Cleopatra a city, so I can actually enjoy the custom stuff in the scenario. lol

2. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Nubia's desert tiles are not as strong as Australia's, but Nubia can get access to their pyramid earlier. Also their spawning position is usually near desert tiles more than Australia (which tends to prioritize having more pasture-upgradable tiles).

3. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator Staff Member

Aug 15, 2013
    The AI is just bad at playing the scenario. I played one without declaring war on Nubia and they just didn't build any temples to Amun whatsoever.

OT: The new wonder is extremely underwhelming and Nubia isn't as strong as I expected. Considerably above average, but nothing too extravagant. The Pitati archer on the other hand is easily among the best UUs in the game.

The visual and UI tweaks in the patch have also been fantastic, especially the trade routes changes.

4. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ya, Nubia is good, but not OP. I think I will use the archers to quickly conquer an neighbor or two early game and then focus on building. The pyramid is only useful on floodplains next to city center or just as a improvement to help you build districts faster... which is why you would need to plan city districts ahead — something I never do because you can win easily by playing mediocre.

5. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Started a normal game as Nubia, spawned near tundra... alrighty then, thank you devs for adding "restart" button. This game already take forever to start even on my new gaming pc, and configuring setting every time was always a chore.

6. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    So... I just played my first game as Nubia on Emperor, and won a CV on t223. Those archers are borderline OP in the early game: I declared wars on my two neighbors, stole about 6 settlers and conquered 6 cities, so on turn 74 I was sitting on 14 cities, and 16 cities towards turn 85. The archers are basically ranged warriors and take cities down super fast. After that, I was just clicking "next turn" and building-building-building.

Also, check out these Nubian pyramids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    The second picture is a bit deceiving though. Most of the crazy stuff going on is the combination of Petra, Uluru, the Nubian UA with mines and then the Nubian pyramids. Subtracting Petra alone would change this picture completely. But I agree, Nubian pyramids are strong. Not particularly strong, but one adjacent to the city center is essential.

Sidenote: Let's take a moment and appreciate that the buffs to the Maryannu chariot archer made it into one of the best UUs in the game. Seriously, it's even better than the Pitati archer (which is really saying something), but has some deficiencies with the high production cost and the fact it cannot be pre-built whereas Pitati archers and archers in general can be upgraded from slingers.

Especially in the gifts of the Nile scenario, the Maryannu slay everything: They are extremely fast, they shoot from far away, their ranged strength is almost as strong as a horseman's melee, their melee is as good as a spearman's and they have no weakness to anti-cav.

8. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    It's not really deceiving. Everyone who plays the game will notice Uluuru and Petra.

I rolled another Nubia map, and it had swaths of desert across the neighborhood, and Uluuru was again a few tiles from the capital. I suspect Nubia will have a much higher chance to have Uluuru in its games because it will always cause the map to generate large areas of desert (with lots of floodplains, as well), and that's the only terrain you can find Uluuru in.

9. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    RELIGION GETS A REBOOT IN THE CIVILIZATION VI ‘FALL 2017 UPDATE’.

Religion overhaul, some UI improvement, and a new civ. Based on their cryptic teaser on Twitter, the new civilization is going to be... Indonesia? Or the Philippines.

And based on their cryptic tweets, the patch is coming next week. Just in time? I am honestly so over this game at this point. I even played Civ V recently. It runs much faster, and the AI does not feel like such a huge pushover.

10. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    It's going to be 2 civs. It has been already known that there will be 3 leaders for Africa and SEA in the next 2 DLC and the last one gave only one. So it was either 2 new civs or one civ with double leader, but the last one was very unlikely.

Also, someone on CivFanatics did some game file source digging and found out that the new leaders will be Gitarja, a Majapahit/Indonesian queen and Jayavarman VII, a Khmer king. So it's Khmer plus Indonesia/Majapahit for the DLC. Their "tease" about refined naval combat from the AI also makes sense for a Majapahit/Indonesia scenario.

Also, I predict that with the addition of Khmer we're gonna get Angkor Wat as a new wonder as well, just my 2c.

11. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013

First civ up, boys.

12. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    One Culture Bomb almost every DLC?

Still, Aqueduct finally has some use now. That boost on food and faith is quite critical when it comes to Theocracy rush.

This civ will be quite useless if they can't grab some rivers, and its expansion will be quite restricted. It is a reference to Mekong River as expected.

13. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    No talk of how ridiculously OP their UU is? It's basically the best early game siege unit in the game as it seems.

OT: And second's one up:

Source code digging guy was on point.

14. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Holy shiet that coastal tile improvement is actually sick af. Coastal building gonna be sick af. Still people want to play Pangaea tho.

About Khmer's UU I guess it is fairly strong? Still, taking cities don't make use of their river bonuses much unless there are good preys around. Fairly bad matchup against John Curtin; his unique ability and independence on rivers shit on Khmer's offense early game.

15. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013

My prediction was correct, Angkor Wat will be added as a new wonder with the DLC. Also, a new natural wonder (Ha Long Bay).

I haven't finished the video yet, but it has also been said that 8 new relics will be added as well.

Edit: Just finished it and the new changes to religion seem extremely good. Religious units no longer count as regular units for stacks on tiles so no more stupid blocking of units with that. The interface makes religious pressure mechanics much clearer and also diplo screen is much more neat and tidy now.

The new religious building from the pantheon has an extremely cool effect: Since it's a Zoroastrian fire temple, it basically gives extra yields on faith and stacks the more it "burns" continuously. If it gets pillaged, the timer for bonuses is reset.

The new scenario is also quite interesting. It's basically Outback Tycoon but with religion.

16. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
  17. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    So Indonesian Unique Tile Improvement grants 1 Housing. Man, it is not as strong as Stepwell but still solid af, especially when it can be built on useless Coast tiles.

Angkor Wat is also strong af, with that bonus to Housing for all cities and +1 citizen?

18. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    It's stronger imo because it gives +1 production early and +2 later and it gives +1 food for each adjacent sea tile resource.

It would be extremely strong if it was a late game wonder when growing your cities taller is harder, but it comes fairly early. If you are contesting it, most cities you're gonna have at that point are 7-10 pop on average which can grow within a couple of turns by building 2-3 farms (and placing them correctly).

I guess it becomes better if you are playing tall, so it's probably going to be a Kongo/India/Khmer wonder and everyone else won't bother. Very similar to the weaknesses of the Hanging Gardens.

OT: Played with both civs and the scenario so here's my assessment:

1) The Khmer are fine I guess, maybe a tad bit on the strong side.
    2) Indonesia is basically a slightly better version of Norway but with a UU that doesn't actually suck. Kind of fitting they have an almost identical colour pattern :cat:
    3) The scenario is fun, but the AI doesn't know how to play it on mid difficulty levels (as usual). It's much easier than Outback Tycoon as well.

19. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I think that ICS build can work well with Angkor Wat if the wonder isn't contested. ICS usually can't grow tall, though if you do ICS with Angkor Wat you can get a hit to amenity unless you have a Colosseum.

On the other hand, I hope that the dev would buff Norway. There is norway that this civ can actually be good to play.

20. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I am sure Indonesia does poorly on Pangaea, but I had a great time on an Island Plates map (Immortal difficulty, if it even means anything in civ 6) despite a crappy isolated start. I basically pre-built quadriremes and a couple galleys, bought a few of them with faith, then timed cartography with mercenaries, and had a glorious medieval fleet which wiped out 3 civilizations. Then I just sat around in builder mode and waited for battleships to finish the rest. Land units I bought with gold because I am a trade route whore and built harbors and commercial districts in every city. :p

My domination playstyle is basically scorch and burn and remove everyone from the game, but you can see from the screenshots that the UI allows to grow really tall and fairly fast without investing in food or housing (all my trade routes went to city-states and other civs for gold). The extra bonuses to districts are nice on an island map, but the kampung is simply glorious on watery maps: you can see that Sparta, which I had captured several turns before finishing, has housing for 39 (!) citizens, even though it has no aqueduct or neighborhood. I love kampungs. And by the way, battleships cost only 680 faith.

(click to enlarge the images)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017