1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Rename Silencer's "Arcane Curse"

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by globalsilence, Mar 17, 2018.

1. globalsilence

globalsilence New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Talk about a missed opportunity with this ability name. Ever since the update that reworked this ability for Silencer, it's name "Curse of the Silent" was changed to "Arcane Curse."

Not only does "Arcane Curse" lack any and all artistic appeal and imagination, there were so many alternatives which actually sound interesting.

My number one alternative is this:

Curse of the Caster

As you can tell, it's a play on the original name, "Curse of the Silent." Curse of the caster makes sense because its in line with the actual ability's affects - which damage players that cast spells under its influence.
    BUT WHATEVER, NO ONE GIVES A ****

2. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Your arguments apply to your proposed name and then some tbh.

3. globalsilence

globalsilence New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Even if you don't think mine is creative, which is fine, it's at least relevant (to what the ability does) and attempting to mean something. "Arcane Curse" is just generic garbage.

4. LorDFaLL3N

LorDFaLL3N Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Curse of the rebels
    Curse of the stridents
    Curse of the insolents

"Those who dare speak in presence of Silencer, are severely punished"

5. Jon

Jon Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Curse that hurts those that aren't Silent.

'Unspeakable Curse' sounds good to me. Because, when they try and speak against it, they get hurt.

6. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I think the name suits it just fine, tbh.
    It puts enemies under a curse that causes damage per second and the more spells they cast, the longer it'll last, and more damage it'll do.
    Arcane = something spell related.
    Curse = something that causes harm.

Curse of the Caster is also fit. But there's no need to change it, imo.

7. globalsilence

globalsilence New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Pretty much any spell that does damage in the game is an "arcane curse" then. And that is my peeve: the name has nothing interesting and imaginative about it. Might as well have called it "Magic Curse" or "Strange Spell."

And sure, changing it would be as consequential as changing a line in a character's lore bio. That is to say, not consequential whatsoever.

And Jon... See! That is a good one! "Unspeakable Curse." It conveys a sense of foreboding, AND has a modicum of wit to it because it relates to the spell's affects.

8. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
    It's a curse to have both Arcane Rune and Arcane Curse

9. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    Your first paragraph kinda makes sense, but that is something very usual to Dota's abilities. And I, personally, don't mind.
    Magic Missile?
    Arcane Aura?
    Arcane Bolt?
    Ancient Seal?

It ain't going to direct your imagination towards what the ability actually does, but it ain't misleading either. And plenty abilities are named like that. Inner Vitality for example, it's a generic name for a healing ability, and it's cool.
    But it is no inner vitality, right? It ain't even passive.

Should we be that picky w/ every ability that has a more generic name?
    Stunning Energy Bolt instead?
    Aura of Mana Restoration?
    Bolt of Intellect?
    Seal of Ignorance?

That's cool. These are cool names, and I'm fine w/ doing that. But those don't really bug me. Being generic doesn't bug me.
    Unless it is something misleading, I'm ok w/.
    Arcane Curse never felt strange to me. And from all the names you suggested, you, Lordfallen and Jon, Curse of the Caster is the one that I liked the most.
    I wouldn't mind Magic Curse either, tbh, but Arcane Curse sounds fitter.
    And I don't know, Unspeakable Curse sounds like a curse that should not be spoken of.

There are some abilities that do feel mislead by their names though.
    Like Torrent. Nether Swap and Nether Strike. Desolate (and not Desolation). Spell Steal.

10. globalsilence

globalsilence New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    There are some lack-luster ability names out there no doubt. But Silencer... he's my favorite character, so I must speak up for him at least! And the ability in question used to have an interesting name. It's painful to see it fallen from grandeur. In another world where, from the beginning, it was called "Arcane Curse," I probably wouldn't be complaining about it - seeing as I'm used to names like "Magic Missile" and "Arcane Aura."

You flatter me!

summer-penguin likes this.
  11. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, I'm not against changing it.
    :coffee2:

Even if I not really bothered by it, as far as names go, Arcane Curse is pretty much meh.