1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Rage & Flame in Dota

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Haasva, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    People clearly disagree or else they wouldn't report you. It's the community that decides that they'd rather never play with you again if possible, so no it does not mean nothing but fun.
    Humiliation is not fun unless you're sick of mind.

Valve is one of the most lax gaming companies in the world on this subject.. And I agree that the methods could improve, but that's because I still see a lot of assholes in my games.
    But it looks like the thread is over now that the 'literally hitler' argument has surfaced.

2. Haasva

Haasva Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I never get why people always deconsider any nazi comparison. It is effective because we all have almost the same idea about what is a nazi. So stop commenting about Point Gremberg or whatever it is called.

About community liberty of deciding, you are wrong. It is not because you let them chose between A and B that you offer them free choices. You impose A or B because you propose it, Vlave literraly give people the tool to take off the right of communicating with each other. Again, simply remember dota1, for instance garena, still loads of players.

3. Haasva

Haasva Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Your answer is really interesting and I see I agree with you on many points.

About the abortion part, well you think it became absurd at this point, no one can take it seriously, at least if the flamed dude dont actually believe what the flamer says about him. If he is pissed about reading things about his mom abortion etc then this means he kinda agree with it in the deep of his mind, he is secretly aware thag tryharding to this level is retarded and he should get flamed for that.

4. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Because it's absurd. Relying on a nonsensical hyperbole like that shows that there is little value in continuing to discuss anything further.

You are the one that is wrong about such behavior being experienced as fun and relaxing. People don't, that's why they report you. If people did find it funny, then they wouldn't waste their reports on you.
    Valve is nothing like a Nazi for making the game more enjoyable by giving us the tool to ban flamers. Guess what, Dota 2 is actually infamous for it's community of assholes and flamers, this is necessary to ensure that games are not endless shrieking over open mics, incessant flaming and requests to kill yourself.

But I guess Valve is like the third reich for expecting common decency from players amirite

5. Haasva

Haasva Member

Dec 26, 2011
    @Oesile You yoursekf are aware that the majority of players in the game like/do trash talk but still you consider Valve as a not-nazi company even if they go against common behavior. Wtf ??

What legitimacy do has Valve to "educate" the pkayers ?? None, they are only a little greedy company. And their methods simply go against freedom of humankind I repeat.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  6. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You are reading the words but not the argument.

If the majority of players like to trashtalk and enjoy it in their games, then it people wouldn't report you for it. Because it'd become acceptable and even expected behavior for players. If players however do report trash talkers for being assholes in general, then it means players think it's BAD. People don't want to hear you. Get the hint.
    The problem is thus nonexistent; if you're having fun with your opponents people won't report you. However if you're being a cunt and your excuse for it is "But it's fun" then you're just delusional.

We are INFAMOUS for assholes, this means that people would rather not play dota because of how disgusting the people who play this game are. That's partly because of how lax the system is, and you want to make it even laxer?

I'm sorry but if you go outside you can't walk around insulting people and being a cunt. It's not because people are Nazi's, it's because you're making yourself so undesirable that we have rules and laws to keep you from doing that, because honestly, people don't want to deal with this shit.

7. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    imho the game should automatically detect who uses bad words thru chat, and issue a report to that player automatically.

that way at least people who really want to trashtalk will do it with wit and finesse (which is something I would appreciate at least, given that the community seems to be inherently toxic. Myself included).

I frankly have no idea why the geniuses at Valve don't have such a revelation yet.

8. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You're kidding right?

9. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Why are you asking dumb questions? Do I look like I was kidding?

10. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Well you could have been joking, or maybe unaware of any one of trillion ways you can bypass curse/swear filters. There's a third explanation but I'll keep it to myself.

11. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Yeah I figure you COULD bypass it. But, like I said you would have to figure a way to bypass a filter.
    But even in that case, it's fair game I suppose. I mean, you can't account for EVERYTHING.

The thing is, if the Valve heads were smart, they would have implemented such a filter in the game, but they didn't have to make public knowledge the existence of said filter. For the best effectiveness.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    If they have a filter that automatically flags players upon the use of certain words, someone will figure out that is the case regardless of if they make it public or not.

Also please let me know the game or company which has a flawless filter/censor system, I'm very interested to know which system you are so smitten by that seems to be all the apparent rage in game dev circles and has somehow managed to successfully elude Valve.

13. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    once again: I'm aware you can actually circumvent word filters in like a million ways. Please read the idea that I already laid down in my previous post. I already acknowledged this. The point of the filter is not catching all those ways, the point is catching the most obvious and blatantly offensive (and without requiring an action like a report from the other players in the team). Everything else would be fair game, so to speak.

It seems that they just went the lazy way and simply gave us the option to give reports for bad communication, and did not actually use any word filters.

14. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Would not work because everyone knows that dota players can't spell

15. stereox

stereox Member

Jan 21, 2012
    use brute force dictionary. Problem solved

16. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    But if you :down:

Then that system literally does nothing. Because you are being successfully "most obvious and blatantly offensive" by spending at most half an hour to devise some sort of system to overcome the filter, what's the bloody point of investing the resources to implement a filter then?

"If Valve had the resources they could employ privately-contracted investigation teams and hit squads to conduct surveillance of and track every single serial offender in Dota 2", but that's an obvious flight of fancy imagined by juiced-up 13 year old who might have a tenuous at best relationship with reality. Similarly "le automatic word detector" that "le relevation valve missed :(" something that's pretty easy for a standard DC keyboard warrior to come up with, but could you actually cite any single system, out of the thousands employed elsewhere on the internet surely, that works to a degree you propose it should?

Or do you happen to be talented enough to make earth-shattering inventions sitting down on your PC like many other DC posters on a daily basis?

17. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Read again.

18. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I did read it, and followed up with a fairly comprehensive reply. I'll take it you either don't have or don't wish to give any relevant answer.

19. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    I know you failed because I already posted the idea behind it TWICE and you're still here asking for answers.
    try again until you grasp the idea of word filters. Word filters are not about how to circumvent them, they're about filtering undesirable words. Or character strings which is the same for this purpose.

if there is something that spoils me the most, that must be stupid people, so try not to hit my berserk button.

20. Lama051

Lama051 Moderator Staff Member

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

This pretty much sums up the counterargument for you.

Look up 1337 talk.