1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

pugna ward doubts

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by vvjacobo, Dec 19, 2017.

1. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Does the damage from ward gets amped by pugna buffs like kaya, bloodseeker rage, or range from aethereal, or damage buff from pugna int?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Did not tested this, but it shouldn't be the case.
    As a 'summoned' unit, the ward should not possess any of the hero's perks.

3. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You can't use blademail against Pugna's zaps anymore so no, it shouldn't be possible.

4. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Shouldnt? -_-!

Ill just test this after match instead of what MAY be.

Edit: It doesnt I can confirm. tried pugna lvl 1 ward vs CM ulti. and then I bought kaya + 5 X Guinso and damage was in both cases 522

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    vvjacobo likes this.
  5. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for testing!

6. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    That's ironic because it used to be the same case with techies mines. No reflection from blademail or upgrade from old aether lens. But all of techies mines get amplified without the blademail damage.

7. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    ?

I actually think Techis do not get amplified. I havent tested exactly, but in a recent match I died to techis and saw the damage taken to be 850. you know that if it was amplifed we wouldnt have gotten such nice numbers. it would have been 759 or 874 or something, but not such exact number.

want me to test that too?

8. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    They never amplified, it was one of the major complaints players made when spell amp was introduced.

9. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I am aware that techies mines USED TO not be amplified. The old Aether Lens never amplified mines, but currently, with kaya, they do. I don't recall this change being in a patch note, but my guess is this was changed when Kaya was introduced. That is the irony I was pointing out, as my assumption was Pugna's ward would have had the same treatment, but it didn't.

10. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Are you sure? Maybe it was patched out, but I couldn't reproduce this.

11. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I have come to realize the error of my ways. When updating the damage in the tooltip, it shows amplified values, but I have learned that is absolutely false in actual damage dealt. The tooltip is what I went by instead of being a normal sane person and checking to see the actual damage dealt. When the tooltip started updating after the update, I just naturally assumed it to be true. I beg the community for forgiveness.

12. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    The inaccurate tooltip should still be fixed.

13. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    For techies it most certainly is not. That tooltip is what I have been going on, and that's even how I discovered my error.

14. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    its same with zeus nimbus it cant be increased

15. EebstertheGreat

Sep 3, 2009
    It "should be fixed," meaning Valve ought to fix it, because it's wrong right now.

16. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Member

Jun 10, 2009
    It should be, spell amplification (like items, int bonuses etc etc) should benefit the hero entirely. I think it is a bug, or something simply slipped through latest patches unnoticed.

17. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    not really. I have already reported such things and they were deemed to be fully intended. it was zeus nimbus I think. this is fully intended unliss you think pugna ward and mines are different than nimbus

18. EebstertheGreat

Sep 3, 2009
    The whole situation is a bit nebulous in terms of "intent." The damage from these spells is not actually dealt by the summoned unit, but rather by the casting hero, in order for abilities like Blade Mail to reflect them to the hero rather than the invulnerable summon. That is definitely intended. But since the damage is dealt by the hero, shouldn't it be buffed by spell damage? I guess not. That seems time be a deliberate decision, but that doesn't necessarily mean anybody thought much about it.

Regardless, the tooltips should obviously match the behavior, whatever it is.

19. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    However it has been very consistent, and it does make sense in that separate units deal their own damage. How would say Arc Warden work otherwise? Currently his clones use their own spell amp, as do Meepo clones.

Though I can see a case where the heroes improve their summons with spell amp, such as techies making bombs that do more damage (but this does go against the rule that spell amp only increases damage). It should be fixed at the moment of creation though, or if debuffs like minus spellamp were to be introduced you could somehow neuter damage of mines that are already placed.

20. Bu3ny

Bu3ny Moderator Staff Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Wards that that are sourced to their casters are Power Cogs and Psionic Traps, so these fully work with spell dmg amp, blademail&co, etc. Just think of it this way: As Warlock, do you expect your Golem's fire aura to deal more damage when you have kaya? Probably not. Same goes for the wards (except for cogs and ta traps).

All other wards do their damage on their own, so they are unaffected by these (technically, they are, but the ward itself would need to have the spell dmg amp, and things like blade mail cant damage ward-type units).