1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Pugna is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by Hyperion1O1, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Just ban Sniper if you're planning to spam him, he just fucks Pugna and his ward. Fucking hell, that midget

2. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    with the decrepify and cast range talent + aether, I somewhat countered him (given my team pushed quite fast that he cannot even finish his manta)
    If he going closer to attack the decrepify + drain will catch him because of the superior cast range.

3. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    I usually dont decriot then ulti. What i do is decrept, get closer, decrept again then ulti

4. Apprehensive

Apprehensive New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    @Hyperion1O1

Had to join a game and play pug immediately after reading this post. Forgot how fun he is

5. Apprehensive

Apprehensive New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Update:

Lost game but went 13-4...

6. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Haha. yeah man. I also test it a lot after seeing this thread. It is a fascinating strategy, especially if the opponent is not ready for it considering pugna is not so popular. My flexibility just went down for recent matches. haha.

my dotabuff:

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/35654552

My main problem is most of the time, pugna cannot survive when focused, especially if your team mates are relying on you. Most of my games are played with friends (and not the same, so very unstable bracket), so usually games are lost because of getting focused --> die --> our team lost main source of damage. But still, very fun to bully safelane carry early-mid game + forces them to buy diffusal.

7. Apprehensive

Apprehensive New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    @flamegod0, I agree. He's exponentially more difficult when focused; but that's true across the board for most heros. Overall though he has a variety of options that seem to work well enough to declare him a balanced hero with an offensive edge. In those tricky situations where you seem to be the target of every enemy play in EVERY battle items like blink and even a ghost scepter (yes, on top of etheral skill) can buy you crucial time and positioning. By the way, you incidentally introduced me to dotabuff.com which I've till now never heard of. What a great site man. Oh and there's this:

Lion
    Very High Skill

Won Match
    6 hours ago
    Normalx5
    All Pick
    1:04:09
    30/3/13

VN.. VN..

8. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Its actually getting real hard to progress further than 5.3 (I would blame this on my weak mechanical skills compared to other 5ks and a rather lack of opening item flexibility because Aether Aghs is just too enticing not to buy) because people will now instapick Nyx (if he doesn't get banned) or AM or both.

I need to rethink my approach but it does work. I just need to get better.

Also, I re did my opening item build; it is now Wind Lance Tango Salve 2 Branch for a majority since I get like 355 MS and when I have boots, I go to 400 which makes me impossible to catch.

9. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Agreed man. I also have similar starting build because the lace is just so great against slow/stuns. The item pick is also my main probs. lot of the time I tried to make eul first, or maybe after aether, or veil, but finally, I just end up aether agh eul/force/glimmer/bkb/whatev needed. That 2 item combo is just very interesting and hard to pass.

haha. thx for the kind stalking there my man. just a normal unranked game with my mates (lion mid rules after the most recent patch).

if you see the game before that lion, you can see me performing badly with pugna. like really bad. Everything just snowballs out of control after that juggernaut somehow gets BF + shits at 15 min @midlane (I'm playing offlane. partially blaming on ping, but most of my game is on 150-200 ping anyway, so not really a good reason to blame).
    For another dota stats, you can use opendota.com too. you can find different stats there and decide which one you prefer to use.
    https://www.opendota.com/players/35654552

my opendota stats for comparison.

10. galuf

galuf Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Hi, just throwing my 2 cents here.

The strengh of pugna are:
    - fast T1
    - good 5 men
    - ward

Pugna's ward can OS a shadow shaman very often if well positionned as he cast. It almost always deals significant damage in a tf if you position yourself and time properly.

Now about your item build I'm not sure if it's the correct way to go. Aether lens is fine for drain but arcane boots are meh just for him(if you do not 5 men). I'd rather get an urn or something like that for mana sake early on. As fast farmer low armor character, mek can be great too. He kind of benefits a lot from BoT imho.

That said he hasn't the most stellar scalling but if played properly decrep will remain disruptive the whole game and his structural damage will remain noticeable.

11. Devius

Devius Member

Jul 18, 2009
    @Hyperion1O1 , do you know that you can actually outrange tower attacks and night vision with Pugna blast without any bonus cast range? I watched your replay and didnt see you using it. It seems to me that you underestimate the range of the blast.

12. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I do, its very precise and I just forget it tbh.

You can actually Blast without cast range bonus at day time from Dota 1, idk why its not working anymore.

13. Spartangold

Spartangold Member

May 9, 2010
    Played offlane pugna and I found that rushing scepter isn't always the best idea.

My starting build is the same as yours. If I can play aggressive I will go for a Oov over boots. Basically Boots-Oov-Wand-Aether. I play it as more of a utility role depending on what my team needs.

Pushing power = Mek/Pipe + Arcanes + HP Talent

Kiting = Atos + FS/Blink

If I'm snowballing hard I will get Aghs as a 3rd item instead.

flamegod0 likes this.
  14. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    What's with the OOV pick-up? Is it that good for harass?

15. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I usually never picked it in ranged but i saw enchantress doing it always in the last IT.
    It's better for harrass, and you can always sell it later.

16. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Its a very powerful harass item for ranged heroes. 15 magic damage doesn't seem much but it accumulates a lot.

17. Spartangold

Spartangold Member

May 9, 2010
    I get it mainly for the slow. With superior movespeed, range and a slow, I can easily land 1-2 hits extra worth of rightclicks, don't forget Pugna has high int gain and his rightclicks will hurt once he reaches level 3.

18. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    thx for the suggestion man. will try later (if i play tonite). I hope that I won't be lured by that delicious sucky2 agh

19. Hyperion1O1

Hyperion1O1 Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Aghs is not mandatory yeah (until you have 2 to 3 items yeah)