1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Politics of the United States - Aftermath of 2016 Election

Discussion in 'World News & Debate' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    My issue with the Paris Climate Accords is that much like most non-trade related global agreements it's completely toothless. Other than giving politicians something they can include on their list of documents ratified it doesn't really do anything.

China's reaction to this ordeal makes this abundantly clear (anyone who believes they will actually start making any changes to their own policy is kidding themselves).

Furthermore western media acting like the world is going to explode tomorrow is outrageously untrue, and just as bad as spreading untruths about climate science; esoecially when you consider that either viewpoint is only exoressed so that the media can make momey off of people's anger and paranoia that they are helping to perpetuate.

2. NaL-Ra

NaL-Ra Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Until someone scans the pages from Scientific journal with the research and data on which he makes his belief...
    http://www.anonews.co/paris-climate-agreement/

Which raises a question...
    ...why those, who are so concerned about the consequences and the cataclysmic effects that climate change will have on the Planet and civilization, aren't ready to make small adjustments in Paris thready, to meet USA's demands, and have USA be included in it, too, in some shape and form.

Something must be better than nothing ?

3. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Luckily environmental scientists don't need your approval in order to do their research and have their findings accepted by the broader scientific community and government institutions.

I'd be horrified to live in a country that has such bizarre standards of evidence as the ones you have in your head.

The US already accepted the agreement in 2015. I assume they would have to have another conference in order to change the agreement that the other 194 UNFCCC members signed.

4. lovestep

lovestep Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I never said I agree with Trump on this, I was just pointing out it's silly to assume he doesn't believe in it anymore based on 2 tweets from years ago when he was a rather ignorant outsider trying to spark some controversies.

Did anyone here read the agreement anyway? It's just a bunch of promises with no firm commitment. There is no enforcing mechanism, heck, every country actually gets to set it's own goal.
    There's just this little paragraph that encourages participants to "be generous"

The whole thing just assumes that the biggest polluters and industry titans in the world will cut down carbon pollution voluntarily with no binding enforcement mechanism to measure and control carbon emissions at any level from factory to state AND no specific penalty or fiscal pressure to discourage bad behavior.

It's just like an AA meeting where everyone promises they'll cut down on drinking and then go their own ways and do what they want. But they get a pat on the back from the world press for making this promise, even though no one will check if they will keep true to it.

5. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Agreed, it's a non-binding agreement. That's the nature of these sorts of things. Any country can just ignore it and nothing will happen.

So it's a little strange that Trump is making it a huge deal right now. I assume the purpose is to distract from something more alarming, maybe some deal with the Russians? I have no clue.

6. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator Staff Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I'd wager he hasn't changed all that much, but I am acknowledging the fact his views have not been completely stale. My point is that his actions show a stance that is just as dismissive or at least misguided as to how Trump perceives man-made climate change.

The idea is that drawing countries into it will act as an incentive. Obviously all countries will do what the fuck they want regardless, it's the fact they go out of their way to sign this agreement that at least sets some boundaries and offers some loose guidelines.

Because no one would agree to that. That's the problem with climate change and why so many people deny it. The enforcement of measures with financial repercussions is seen as intrusive behaviour from the government and anti-free market which of course makes the conservatives uneasy. Then in turn leftists exploit this to choose the "right side of history" and use their platforms to promote environmental regulations.

Thus a completely non-partisan scientific issue becomes a partisan one that everyone and their dog has an opinion on, be it with taking into account the statistical substrate or not.

And not only that, but many countries would just not even handle repercussions well. How does a country like Saudi Arabia fare in such an agreement when their #1 source of revenue is exporting oil? They will be understandably very cautious and discouraging of regulations being intertwined with harsh measures.

That is not to say regulations wouldn't be good, it's just that it would make for a far more objectionable deal that a lot more countries would distance themselves from.

I don't think that there will be no checking, it's just that even if there is, those who wield enough power on the global scene will get away with it. In that sense, the Paris agreement is no different than pretty much any other agreement.

Classic example of the Melian dialogue: "The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must".

7. NaL-Ra

NaL-Ra Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Wonder the same about the research and data that suggest "man made" climate change.

8. NaL-Ra

NaL-Ra Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Another staged event in the production of the CNN.
    Leader in FakeNews category, caught staging fake news event in brought day light.

Brainwashing is at so advanced stage, that they can afford to be reckless and just do it on the middle of the streets in brought daylight...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Yes, I have heard of that, but while the cost is so great, it isn't even practically usable by the first plasma.

We also have Germany that wanted to close off all of their nuclear reactors after Fukushima incident to resort to other renewable sources (which aren't much cleaner at so damn higher cost). I'm not sure about their stance by now, though.

10. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Comey is testifying tomorrow, but honestly not expecting much. But at least we have memes?

11. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    James Comey:
    • Trump is a liar
    • The White House lies
    • I knew about Russian hackers in 2015
    • I don't know. I assume not. I can't answer this question. Same as previous question.
    He is such an attention whore, tho.

12. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Trump tossing away binders, saying they are 'unnecessary and burdensome environmental reviews holding up a highway project.' If anyone ever wondered whether his stance on the environment ever changed. :cat:

13. lovestep

lovestep Member

Jan 10, 2015
    So here's CNN's supervising producer admitting they are all sick and bored of the Russia narrative since they know they have nothing on Trump with this story, but they are pushed by the CEO to keep covering this story because that is what appeals to the liberal audience.
    Funny

14. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    The US did elect a 12-year-old child, after all.

15. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Trump does have the best memes.

16. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Turns out you can just put words in any order you'd like. Also, BLOOD OF PATRIARCHS™. Also, saying it in Poland of all places.

17. Nezekan

Nezekan Moderator Staff Member

Jan 17, 2011
    This is a great video that shows and explores the possibility of a deal between Trump and Putin, if there is one. Its pretty good.

18. Nezekan

Nezekan Moderator Staff Member

Jan 17, 2011
  19. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014