1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Pixie, the Outcast Mage

Discussion in 'Hero Ideas' started by Skulls_n_Souls, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    • [​IMG]

Hero Background Story:
      In the small village of Mayong, where most of the most talented mages come from, traditions of magic were the sole religion. There, people led their lives through magic; children played with spells far beyond a normal person's capabilties; and all crafts and works were done by summons. There, he was born.
      Ever since he was a little child, Pixie strayed away from his people's habits, and saw in physical power the ultimate strength. He used to run away to other villages to practice his passion, and spend the rest of his time in his hometown, learning whatever was cast upon him of the knowledge of magic. As he grew older, his physical powers became great, though he was still easily beaten in magic duels by those of younger age. As the elders in the village knew of his rebellion against the traditions, their head chief, Blias, planned and carried out his punishment: to be tormented to death by magic, and cast away.
      A few hours after his execution, Pixie woke up to find himself in a dark valley, with his physical powers worn out by attempted execution. Coming to realize that he can't retrieve his old form of power completely, he practiced the surging his own magical powers through his body to serve his purpose of physical superiority. He would even steal magic cast upon him and bend it to serve his will, and punish whoever dare face him with magic by paralyzing their minds, stopping them from casting once and for all.
      One dark night, a few years later, in his hometown, with his sword blazing blue he stalked the streets, raising screams louder and louder, filling the silence of the night with noise of revenge, and claiming the skulls of those who thought they doomed him.

Hero Introduction:
      Pixie is a melee intelligence carry (would be the first one in the game) who can completely ignore the armor of enemy heroes with his right click. With a proper lineup that has adequate magic damage, and against a lineup that is as such, too, he can work wonders as his passive will reduce enemies' magic resistance on attack. His second ability, Mental Paralysis, is a disable that will silence, mute, and grant invulnerability to your enemies, keeping them out of the fight for a short duration. His ultimate will turn magic damage you are inflicted by to attack damage which you can use along with Mystic Blade to chew through your enemies' HP. Even though Pixie lacks good survivability and immediate nukes, with proper farm he can decimate an entire team on his own.

• [​IMG]
        Type: Active
        Targeting: Enemy Unit
        Hotkey: Q
        Damage Type: Magic

:bkbblockyes: Fully blocked by Magic Immunity.
        :linkensblockyes: Pops Linken's Sphere.
        :basicdispelyes: Dispellable by weak dispels.​

Pixie corrupts the target's mind, causing great slow to it for a duration, and damaging it when the duration ends. At any time in the duration, the target can cast a skill to end the slow, but will be immediately inflicted by double the damage value.

[​IMG] 0.4/0.2
        :mana: 120
        :cooldown: 12
        :range: 600
        [​IMG] 4
        [​IMG] Slows by 30%. Deals 40/50/60/70 + 10 * Spell Amplification at the end of the duration, and double that damage if the target ends the slow prematurely.

Notes:

• Damage depending on spell amplification is actually Spell Amplification x 2000, because spell amplification is a percentage. E.g. when Spell Amp is 10%, that is equal to 0.1 -> damage done by this skill depending on spell amp is either = 0.1 x 2000 = 200; or = 20 x 10 = 200.
      • [​IMG]
        Targeting: Enemy Hero
        Hotkey: W
        Damage Type: N/A

:bkbblockpartial: The Spell Amp drain is blocked, the disable isn't.
        :linkensblockyes: Pops Linken's Sphere.
        :strongdispelyes: Dispellable by strong dispels.​

The Outcast Mage runs at a very high speed towards his target, impaling them with the spear-end of his weapon, while keeping the other to attack with. The blade will suck the power from the target, stunning and silencing them, but also granting them invulnerability from damage. For every 0.1 seconds Pixie impales his target, he will steal Spell Amplification from them, turning it negative if they were left with none during the drain.

[​IMG] 0.3/0.1
        :mana: 100/120/140/160
        :cooldown: 36/29/22/15
        :range: 700
        [​IMG] Disable: 2.5/3/3.5/4; Spell Amp. Steal: 4 *
        [​IMG] Stuns and silences, and grants damage invulnerability. Drains 0.25/0.0.30/0.35/0.4% per 0.1 seconds.

Notes:

• If Pixie moves >700 units away from the impaled target, the disable will end.
        • * The 4 seconds begin countdowning after the drain/disable ends.
        • Rushes at 1500 speed in a way similar to PL's Phantom Rush.
      • [​IMG]
        Type: Passive
        Targeting: N/A
        Hotkey: E

:bkbblockyes: Blocked by Magic Immunity.
        :basicdispelyes: Dispellabe by weak dispels.​

The power stored within Pixie's blade reduces his target's magic resistance with each attack. In addition, if Pixie's attack would do more damage if it was magical rather than physical, its type will be changed to magical.

[​IMG] 3
        [​IMG] Reduces magic resistance by 6/7/8/9%. Capped at 30/35/40/45% decreased resist.

Notes:

• Debuff duration is renewed with each attack.
        • Debuff is placed before damage occurs.
        • Magical attacks are also affected by spell amplification. As a result, Spell Amplification will also be considered when checking whether the attack would deal higher damage as magical type.
      • [​IMG]
        Hotkey: R

Drawing power from his old master's skull, Pixie is able to convert a portion of all magic damage that is targeted against him into power he can use to bring down his foes. After absorbing the damage, the spell can be cast again to acquire the absorbed damage as attack damage.

:asu: In the duration of damage reduction, all disables will end after 0.5 of their placement on Pixie, regardless of their duration, except for ones that are not dispellable by strong dispels.

[​IMG] 0.0/0.0
        :mana: 100/175/250
        :cooldown: 25/20/15
        [​IMG] 3/4*
        [​IMG] Converts 40/55/70% of all magic or pure damage dealt to him into damage.

Notes:

• * Damage absorption duration/attack damage buff duration.
        • Attack damage increase is capped at 100/150/200. Absorption has no cap.
        • Magic/pure damage turned to attack damage is not dealt to the hero.
        • Magic/pure damage is deducted before reductions.
        • Stored damage depletes after 4 seconds.
    • [​IMG]

• Level 25: 11 points of intelligence instead of 16 increases spell amplification by 1%.
      • 28.1.2017:
        - Hero reposted on PDR with a Talent Tree. For full changelog (which is a long, long list) click here.​
      • 28.1.2017:
        - Mystic Blade: Rescaled increased raw damage from 15/30/45/60 to 30 at all levels.
        - Talent Tree:​
        1. Level 10: Replaced +15 movespeed with +125 HP.
        2. Level 15: Reduced armor from 7 to 4, and replaced +20 damage with +20 movespeed.
        3. Level 25: Intelligence points required for 1% Increased Spell Damage increased from 12 to 13.
      • 2.2.2017:
        - Changed a few icons according to the model offered by the great @summer-penguin .​
      • 2.4.2017:
        - Mental Paralysis: Increased cast range. It now removes vision of the target.
        - Turn the Table: Increased damage absorption from 30/45/60% to 40/55/70%.
        - With these changes this hero is finished until this patch (7.04.) Upcoming changes will be balances if major changes in the game happen; or an ASU, if I can think of one.​
      • 1.6.2017: This is the @Leotfatu update: he gave me the idea of combining Mystic Blade and Skull of Blias into one ability, in addition to other notes, and that gave birth to these changes:
        - Combined Mystic Blade and Skull of Blias into one passive ability: Mystic Blade.
        Type: Toggle
        Damage Type: Magical

Concentrates his mental energies and magic powers, and rushes them through his sword. In that state, his normal attacks are turned magical, empowered, and deal bonus damage based on his Increased Spell Damage.

:bkbblockyes: Fully blocked by Magic Immunity.​

:mana: 3% max mana persecond*
        :cooldown: 1
        [​IMG] Increases damage by 30 + 2.5/3/3.5/4x Increased Spell Damage.

Notes:
        • *Spends 3% max mana upon activation, then 0.15% each 0.05 seconds.
        • Activating/deactivating doesn't interrupt the hero's current animation/order.
        • Still can't attack ethereal units.
        • All damage is turned to magical, including criticals and bashes. If obtained, however, cleave damage will remain unaffected.
        • Damage output in this state is still increased by Increased Spell Damage.
        • Increased damage depending on Spell Damage is, like Increased Spell Damage, a percentage. E.g. If the hero's Increased Spell Damage = 7% and this ability is lvl4: Increased Attack Damage = 6 x 7% = 42%. Also, it only considers damage from Intelligence and base damage. Bonus damage isn't taken into consideration.

Type: Active, Passive
        Targeting: AoE

The skull of his former Chief glows with every attack, applying a debuff on the target that decreases their magic resistance. In addition, Pixie can use the skull to affect enemies in an area to feel the additional damage dealt by the passive.

:cooldown: 8
        :range: 500
        :aoe: 300
        [​IMG] 3/5*
        [​IMG] 5/6/7/8% decreased resist. Cap of 22/28/34/40%. Damage due to the decreased magical resistence is also dealt to all enemies in the AoE.

Notes:
        • * Passive duration/Active Duration.
        • Active has 2x the effect if no heroes are caught within its AoE.
        • Passive duration IS renewed with each attack.
        • Distributed damage isn't deducted from Pixie's dealt damage, but rather copied and then distributed.
        • Passive's debuff is placed before damage occurs.

- Mental Paralysis: Reworked into Impaler.

:bkbblockno: Pierces magic immunity.
        :linkensblockyes: Blocked by Linken's Sphere.
        :strongdispelyes: Purgeable by strong purges.​

Using knowledge he acquired from his dark days, the Outcast Mage hurls a magic bolt at a target. The bolt will freeze their minds, disarming and silencing them; muting their items; and removing their vision while granting them invulnerability from all sources of damage.

:mana: 90/105/120/135
        :cooldown: 35/30/25/20
        :range: 800
        [​IMG] 2.5/3/3.5/4
        [​IMG] Disarms and silences the target, and mutes their items, granting invulnerability.

- Added new ability: Mental Challenge
        - Turn the Table: increased damage reduction duration by 1 second; and its value 30/45/60% to 40/55/70%.
        - Updated Level 25 Talents: 1. From 2 Mental Paralysis charges to 2 Mental Challenge Charges. 2. From 13 to 11 Intelligence = 1% Spell amplification.​
      • 10.6.2017:
        - Statistics: Reduced move speed from 325 to 300; Increased armor from 3 to 4.2.
        - Mental Challenge: changed targeting to AoE; added a slow; now its effects are negated if the targets cast a skill, but will recieve heavy damage.​
      • 20.6.2017:
        - Mental Challenge: changed it back to single target, tweaking its effects.
        - Turn the Table: Added ASU.​

[*]20.6.2017:
      - Mental Challenge: removed the cast range reduction. Target now receives damage after the duration, but if they end the effects prematurely by casting a skill, they will receive double the damage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I don't recall him w/ details, but these do look like good talents. Uhum. Very nice.
    There's some very good stuff in him.
    I just gave it a quick check... he feels as deadly as it gets, and quite wizard-ish, indeed.
    Final Fantasy's Red Mage, right? I'm not sure. Or a Spell Sword.
    Found this picture today, somewhere.
    It felt so very Dota-ish to me... it's a witchhunter, and if it were to fit Pixie, he would hold a small witch head in his left hand, instead of a scepter. And through that shrunk head he would cast his third skill.
    Idk... :coffee:

Also, Skulls, I'm sure my compilation of icons, my current compilation of icons, have better icons than these.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    I absolutely love that Model! Thanks!

I'll dig up some more Icons and see if I can find any.

summer-penguin likes this.
  4. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    I would deffinitely add something like Turn the Table to the game. How that simple mechanic suits the game is ridiculously clean and exploitable.
    Pray for Valve never to employ me to work w/ Dota. That thing, is deffinitely getting into the game when I do.

Leotfatu likes this.
  5. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    If you're implementing my idea into the game I'm gonna pray that they do employ you for that purpose.

6. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    Are you crazy?
    :coffee2:
    This forum would go nuts.

With the quantity of ideas that I would gather from this place to put to the test? From here? From PD? From DA?
    As small as it'd be, would already raise this forum to one of the top 10 most active communities in the net.
    And Riot would start to lose its loyal followers in a cascade, these that brabble for playing the most active MOBA... in terms of getting new content and extra lesbos.
    It'd be a mess. My research, knowledge and innovations with IceFrog's composture and aptitude?
    And w/ Dota's designers and staff?
    Leave the lesbos...
    Dota being twice as big as it is now? With a community ten times happier, and a thousand times more involved?
    That's too much...
    Just for you to have such a fine idea implemented, Skulls? That's selfish.

7. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Haha! Well I'd be more than happy to play your Dead Ringer in a real Dota2 Game, or @Jon 's Spear of Justice.
    So yeah, either way, it will be great with you in charge.

COME ON OSFROG! PICK SUMMER!

Wrooks and summer-penguin like this.
  8. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    This is an intriguing idea

Where to start
    1. Mystic blade: this is as I understand an ability that requires some sort of sustain either through bloodstone or orchid + eul's with the latter being more popular and the former being luxury. It's mana usage is through the roof with .15% drained every .05 seconds.

2. Mental paralysis: this will require rod of atos just so the target doesn't follow you or run away.

3. Weakening scepter: I am not entirely sure this needs a mana cost to me it feels like liquid fire that reduces magic resistance and with your other mana needs it feels overwhelming

4. This needs a catalyst spell because there's a reason why people ignore abaddon during his ultimate

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Thank you for stopping by, @Wrooks , and for giving you ideas and opinions.

1. 3% max mana persecond isn't really that much for such a powerful skill. it means you can use it for about 33 seconds w/o considering regen and w/o turning it off. Plus you won't be using it all the time. Only in ganks and fights and when he jungles, and jungling wouldn't happen anyway until he gets a few items .

2. Its purpose (mostly) isn't really to chase or flee, its purpose is "oh so you have many effective spells and good attack damage? then gtfo of this fight for a bit." Rod of Atos can be replaced with a HotD and a Troll from the jungle.

3. Agreed. I'll remove the manacost.

4. Turn the Table has 0.0 cast animation, which means you can dodge (partially) a Laguna Blade or a Finger of Death; you can spot QoP's Sonic Wave animation and stand in its AoE. If you can't hit Pixie with magic damage because of this ability, well then it has fulfilled its purpose.

Updated OP. New icons and new model.

10. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    4. My bad I assumed it functioned like burrowed time which ability would you compare it to?

2. I know but being unable to attack or use a spell enemies will become frantic and panic ...well bad ones at least. the atos will keep them in place, good players will gain a positioning advantage since they don't receive damage which atos is still a good to counter

11. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Sorry it took me long to reply @Wrooks

2. Hmm. so do you suggest that this ability should also root them? or at least slow them? Since they're invulnerable it won't be that much of an OP.

4. Something like Ursa's Ultimate, with the reduced damage being restricted to magic and pure, and turning that damage into attack damage, and minus the purge.

12. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    2. No keep it the same just keep in mind it req. atos to disrupt positioning

4. How is it like enrage rather than burrowed time?

@Skulls_n_Souls

13. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Coming to think about it, it does have the aspect of "turning incoming damage into something useful". However, in Enrage, your damage is amplified (from fury swipes) and you recieve less damage, the difference between this and Turn the Table is that the damage is restricted to magic/pure, and the increased damage is (Burrowed Time feature) dependant on how much damage was taken.

@Wrooks

14. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Changelog Updated:

- Mental Paralysis: Increased cast range. It now removes vision of the target.
    - Turn the Table: Increased damage absorption from 30/45/60% to 40/55/70%.
    - With these changes this hero is finished until this patch (7.04.) Upcoming changes will be balances if major changes in the game happen; or an ASU, if I can think of one.​

15. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    BUMP.
    Back to page 1. Simple as that.

16. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Thank you kind sir.
    I was gonna bump it after 7.06 update.

summer-penguin likes this.
  17. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Your surprise is here, @summer-penguin .
    Updated changelog. Hero is open for reviews again!

• 1.6.2017: This is the @Leotfatu update: he gave me the idea of combining Mystic Blade and Skull of Blias into one ability, in addition to other notes, and that gave birth to these changes:
      - Combined Mystic Blade and Skull of Blias into one passive ability: Mystic Blade.
      Type: Toggle

Concentrates his mental energies and magic powers, and rushes them through his sword. In that state, his normal attacks are turned magical, empowered, and deal bonus damage based on his Increased Spell Damage.

:bkbblockyes: Fully blocked by Magic Immunity.​

:mana: 3% max mana persecond*
      :cooldown: 1
      [​IMG] Increases damage by 30 + 2.5/3/3.5/4x Increased Spell Damage.

Notes:
      • *Spends 3% max mana upon activation, then 0.15% each 0.05 seconds.
      • Activating/deactivating doesn't interrupt the hero's current animation/order.
      • Still can't attack ethereal units.
      • All damage is turned to magical, including criticals and bashes. If obtained, however, cleave damage will remain unaffected.
      • Damage output in this state is still increased by Increased Spell Damage.
      • Increased damage depending on Spell Damage is, like Increased Spell Damage, a percentage. E.g. If the hero's Increased Spell Damage = 7% and this ability is lvl4: Increased Attack Damage = 6 x 7% = 42%. Also, it only considers damage from Intelligence and base damage. Bonus damage isn't taken into consideration.

Type: Active, Passive
      Targeting: AoE

The skull of his former Chief glows with every attack, applying a debuff on the target that decreases their magic resistance. In addition, Pixie can use the skull to affect enemies in an area to feel the additional damage dealt by the passive.

:cooldown: 8
      :range: 500
      :aoe: 300
      [​IMG] 3/5*
      [​IMG] 5/6/7/8% decreased resist. Cap of 22/28/34/40%. Damage due to the decreased magical resistence is also dealt to all enemies in the AoE.

Notes:
      • * Passive duration/Active Duration.
      • Active has 2x the effect if no heroes are caught within its AoE.
      • Passive duration IS renewed with each attack.
      • Distributed damage isn't deducted from Pixie's dealt damage, but rather copied and then distributed.
      • Passive's debuff is placed before damage occurs.

- Mental Paralysis: Reworked into Impaler.

:bkbblockno: Pierces magic immunity.
      :linkensblockyes: Blocked by Linken's Sphere.
      :strongdispelyes: Purgeable by strong purges.​

Using knowledge he acquired from his dark days, the Outcast Mage hurls a magic bolt at a target. The bolt will freeze their minds, disarming and silencing them; muting their items; and removing their vision while granting them invulnerability from all sources of damage.

:mana: 90/105/120/135
      :cooldown: 35/30/25/20
      :range: 800
      [​IMG] 2.5/3/3.5/4
      [​IMG] Disarms and silences the target, and mutes their items, granting invulnerability.

- Added new ability: Mental Challenge
      - Turn the Table: increased damage reduction duration by 1 second; and its value 30/45/60% to 40/55/70%.
      - Updated Level 25 Talents: 1. From 2 Mental Paralysis charges to 2 Mental Challenge Charges. 2. From 13 to 11 Intelligence = 1% Spell amplification.​

18. summer-penguin

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, the new Pixie is a whole new Pixie.
    I've been throwing pics around here because I'm quite busy these days. Too busy to take some time and read something slowly, w/ depth.
    But I gave it a look.

Impaler is fantastic.
    It's description could get a bit better though. The "you're impaled, impaired, being drained dry, and... invulnerable" is not making much sense.
    "The blade will suck the power from the target, stunning and silencing them, but also granting them invulnerability".
    It needs a more marvelous description where being invulnerable while impaled feels somehow connected.
    The ability is also looking incredibly strong right now.
    It rushes you to a certain target, removes it from the fold for 4 whole seconds, and drains 10% spell amp. While you're free to move, to act, to cast, to do whatever you want to.
    But not op. I think. I was going to suggest you to increase its latest cooldown in 1 sec (and the previous accordingly), but nah... nevermind it.
    I like it.
    I don't know why it stuns and silences the target. One cannot cast spells while stunned.

Mystic Blade looks a lot simpler. It's good. It compensates Mental Challenge and Impaler being more compound.

I like Mental Challenge too, but I don't like the idea of forcing an ability to be cast.
    It's an extremely troubling mechanic, imo, and I'm yet to see it drafted in ways to feel solid.
    Yours, for example, how's the ability cast?
    What if it's a unit or point targeting ability? How does it choose its target? Randomly? And w/ a reduced cast range, what if there's no unit for it to be targeted? It won't cast?
    The only way to deal with all the issues that will appear w/ it is having an extensive list of gimmicks.
    Like that from its last note: a gimmick.
    What if the abilities easy to imagine being randomly cast are already on cooldown and only the more complicated one is not? It'll have to be the one that's going to be cast, the priority order will not prevent it from interacting w/ your spell.
    Abilities like: auto casting attack based abilities, blinks, channelling abilities, Tether, Snowball, Astral Spirit, Devour, Charge of Darkness, Spirit Bear, Tree Dance, Static Link, Teleport, Blast Off, Demonic Conversion, etc.
    How about forcing the wrong ability to be cast and it backfires, having you (and possibly your team) in terrible position when diving for a kill or jumping into a TF?
    What happens if you use it on a silenced enemy? Or stunned? Will it be forced to cast anyway? That's another gimmick.
    Impaler, for example, stunts.
    I just saw the answer to that. You forgot to specify its dmg type, Mental Challenge's.

I don't know. I didn't like that particular part of it. Idk. Looking at it, I would rather have it reducing cast range (perhaps reducing cast and attack range, if ranged) and causing a straight nuke w/ a scaling dmg.
    That's good enough to me.
    It'll lose some synergy, but it'll look cleaner, and it would still fit him.

And right now, Pixie has zero area dmg source.
    He has a very good and escalating single target dmg output, but zero area dmg.
    But he's melee... yeah, I forgot that.
    That's alright then.

19. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Updated changelog.

• 10.6.2017:
      - Statistics: Reduced move speed from 325 to 300; Increased armor from 3 to 4.2.
      - Mental Challenge: changed targeting to AoE; added a slow; now its effects are negated if the targets cast a skill, but will recieve heavy damage.​

Reply to summer-penguin will come later, but I did most of the things you suggested.

20. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    It is confirmed by me now that showers are the best time to think of your suggestions.

Updated!

• 20.6.2017:
      - Mental Challenge: changed it back to single target, tweaking its effects.
      - Turn the Table: Added ASU.​