1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradox games discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by enrico.swagolo, Dec 11, 2017.

1. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I was eyeing all the other DLC, and it seems it won't be cheaper than $70 to get them all. Somehow, the Cossacks were released over 2 years ago, but they still cost $20. Plus, there are these additional packs which cost $5-6. Why does it say flavor packs, though? New events and decisions aren't exactly flavors, and I would be interested in the Star and Crescent Pack and Purple Phoenix Pack and the American Dream pack, as well.

Also, I have Women in History enabled, but I am not seeing any women advisors in my game?

[​IMG]

2. Eutychius

Eutychius Moderator Staff Member

Aug 15, 2013
    They are, not every nation gets the same events. Purple Phoenix adds events exclusive to Byzantium (not very good ones overall and they don't apply to Trebizond for some reason).

They are rare and afaik they come in events with the cheaper advisors decisions and stuff like that. Some nations like France also gets more special events where important women from real history are brought up in events.

3. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    What about the United States? It says we get 57 new events. But like also, how long does the US get to play, like 40 years? Or it starts with colonies first?

PS: Isn't Byzantium really hard to play? I can't imagine taking on the Ottomans who have larger armies at the start and being surrounded by them. :confused:

4. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    You can start a campaign as England, colonize NA so that the Thirteen Colonies are formed as a colonial nation. Then you can release it and play as that. There are some requirements (that I don't know of) that when met you can take the decision to form the US.

It has been fluctuating in difficulty since forever basically, but in general it's pretty hard and there are a lot of proposed strats. The general rule of thumb is that if you succeed in the first war with Ottos and reclaim the Greek mainland provinces, then you can steamroll them.

Byzantium's general events are mediocre and bland, but the special ones when you achieve something are some of the best in the game:

1) Reconquering all of the Balkans, Western Anatolia, Anatolia as a whole, Italy etc grants a prestige boost for each plus massive army tradition boost. When you recapture some select territories (like annexing Athens or conquering Kocaeli) you get special events that also boost prestige and give buffs.
    2) Recapturing the provinces of the Pentarchy gives you large patriarch authority (mechanic for Orthodox nations) and grants a free missionary. Byzantium can basically convert its entire empire to orthodox without breaking a sweat.
    3) Byzantium has a very nice decision called "Reestablish the Theme system" which is what you get after conquering a considerable amount of historic Byzantine land in the Balkans and Anatolia. Here it is: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Byzantium#Reestablish_the_Theme_System

The decision is nice for its bonuses of course, but having all provinces receive their original Themata names is amazing.

5. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I finally finished the game, but by the end I got dragged into two wars with Russia by my ally, and Russia was somehow allies with Spain, who they called to arms. It wasn't pretty, and I just rolled over and watched all the rebels and conquest happening. Turns out the AI is pretty bad at actually putting the human player down, but apparently you are forced to get a peace deal at some point — the game will process it automatically if you refuse to sign.

From my playthrough, I would say that Tunis is absolute garbage as an ally, and I would never be friends with them again. Morocco always helped them but also always failed at their own wars and even dealing with their own rebels. Georgia should be killed asap because it will always side with Christians, and it controls the mountain passages which are a very strategic geographical location on the map. Western Europe doesn't experience any crises, and Spain is allowed to happily form and go colonize Africa, Americas, and South East Asia. If they aren't stopped, they will amass a gigantic fleet and a big army, all supported by colonies. In my playthrough it also allied Hungary and paid for all its loans multiple times, so it clearly has money, too. Hungary really needs to be decimated asap together with Mamluks. Sadly, the entire Central Europe was busy fighting each other and forming bigger states, so these big empires like Spain and Russia could grow and develop unchecked. Russia has seemingly unlimited manpower, which makes fighting them extremely difficult. Again, there really isn't anyone who can keep them in check because no one will attack them from the north, and Japan and those North East Asian countries just don't care.

I think my next game will be Castille, and I am definitely going to invest more into mercenaries because manpower is a valuable resource, and mercenaries seem to replenish from just being paid.

6. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Fighting against Russia is quite darn hard. My Roman Empire had my old pal Commonwealth with me, and since Commonwealth was the HRE after my annexation of Austria our side had quite powerful force to deal with Russian mass human wave. It was still hell, however, and I could only get very little territory before the endgame.

I had to buff Japan a bit by spending quite a big fortune on their massive debts, but still their contribution to the war was very little.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    Only if you are not the main belligerent though.

Tunis is an okay ally against western nations because it blocks them from opening a second front in north Africa. That way you can divert more forces away. They are indeed useless against other local Muslim countries though because they tend to ally with them.

I can tell you didn't join the war of the Protestant League :cat:

There's plenty of crises. One of the earliest in the game is the war of the roses for England which 99% of the time guarantees they get their ass handed to them by France and lose their French holdings.

Use espionage to hit them and gradually agitate their colonial subjects. Then you can support their independence which means you will get dragged into a war when they decide they are strong enough to break away.

This is especially true for Spain because they are far less potent at projecting miilitary power worldwide than France or GB.

You can ally the Ming who in almost every game rival Russia once they get large. Russia is big, but too big for its own good. It's disproportionately big for its army size in the mid game which makes it impossible to guard from two sides at once.

Also, while normally dealing with Russia's massive manpower pool is frustrating, this should not be an issue for the Ottos. They have comparable manpower and incredible capacity to maintain mercs.

Russia also has the massive disadvantage of having all of its important provinces clumped in the forefront which means that a dedicated insurgence towards St. Petersburg will most likely kick them out of a war with a white peace.

By the way, I decided to give the Ottoblob a spin. I can say that it's quite liberating after trying and failing with Trebizond a bajillion times.

There hasn't been much map sharing so here's my progress so far:

[​IMG]

Najd, Anizah and Florence are my vassals. Realistically, I can easily get Rome by feeding the Pope to Florence and then get Moscow myself, so I can get the "Definitely the Sultan of Rum" achievement.

In this campaign I also decided to test how "Russian" the Ottoman army can get so I got Quantity ideas. I can say that if you get big enough and invest in Quantity a lot, then you can ditch mercs altogether as well and play like Russia. In my war against Circassia (who is an ally of Russia), I outlasted Russia's manpower pool quite easily, even though their army quality was far better for some reason and killed me left and right.

8. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Perhaps, I am doing it wrong, but provinces also have maintenance, and I frequently dealt with rebels even at +3 stability. Rebels is the primary reason why I did not want to go wars.

Also, perhaps it is the Civ V player speaking in me, but I do like to develop cities, provinces, etc. The whole 4-city Tradition strategy in Civ V was to grow and develop your cities into super megapolises, and I really enjoyed that.

Part of the reason I was happy to go into that war was because of diplomatic relationships limit. It was nice to sell those lands to my loyal vassals and reduce the number of subjects altogether. I don't understand why the place a limit on vassals, though. It's not like everyone wants to be vassalized in the first place.

How is that done exactly? Is it one of those tabs for peace deals?

I did realize you also have to develop vassals, like putting development points and building buildings in them. I'd rather have them do their own thing and be my unconditional puppets. :cat:

What I do find useful even with small vassal armies is that they can occupy unforted territories which counts towards your war score. They can also reclaim your own territories occupied by the enemy. The AI can be annoying and move their armies within your borders and just occupy undefended unforted provinces with a 3k stack while you are ravaging their lands. It's kind of boring to move your own armies and chase them away, but that's exactly what your vassals can do. I find it convenient.

Well, you can still go far above the limit. I think at one point I had 11/4 diplomatic relations, but I agree that it hurts you long term.

Aaaahh, it must have been Cyprus. I just ignored it because I kind of don't really care for it. :cat:

And I did look on the wiki about what counts as Anatolia, but I looked at http://europauniversalis.wikia.com, which lacks a lot of information. I think I did not know about https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com then.

From https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Religions_and_denominations#Coptic:

[​IMG]

Then why does this development even exist if spending points on it is a bad idea? Is there a different way to increase their development? Development is required to increase the building limits, too.

But you said even 1-1-1 provinces are useful, so all Siberia amounts to something, after all?

But it does have very high shock value, no?

I don't know, they don't have names. I picked 4 military ones: one quantity idea which starts with Levée en Masse, one offensive idea which starts with Bayonet Leaders, one defensive which starts with Battlefield Commisions, and one aristocratic which starts with Noble Knights.

OMG I should totally do that wall breaching. I hate how some sieges just last forever because of the dice rolls. And then the enemy will walk in and retake it in a few rolls.

Interesting. I always though I have to keep it at the max to make sure rebels stay at bay, but it also seems that rebels just won't go away.

Speaking of which... how useful is it to sponsor rebels in rival countries? I have sunk a decent amount of money into that, but I can't say the returns are that great. Rebels usually get crushed by any decent army.

Interesting. I always though diplomatic ideas were worthless. But then again, I am a noob.

I don't build over my unit limit, and recently I started investing into rooting out corruption. My corruption mostly came from unbalanced research, though, which is easy to prevent.

I also learned from Arumba that your light ships can go privateer and make some decent money like that.

I think that the builder dialog shows the returns on your buildings. For instance, I build some stock exchanges, and suddenly they started making a lot of money.

Tunis has like 15 unit navy and like 20k in troops on the best day. They can be easily run over by anyone, it seems.

In Arumba's tutorial, England handled the war of the roses without breaking a sweat. In my game England only lost its territories in France, which happened historically but did not stop GB from being a major empire. :^)

I didn't know that. I barely interacted with any colonies, actually.

The Ming are separated from Russia by Korea, Japanese Manchuria and Khalkha. Russia is very well insulated from the Ming, but then again, Japan should be willing to attack Russia from the East.

I actually had the biggest land unit limit in the game, but it seems that manpower is more important than that. In fact, having 450 land unit limit with only 182k manpower really hurt me because it basically overextended me with the troops I build which were unsustainable.

They have a lot of forts in that area, though.

How did you make Catholic Florence your vassal? Don't you get -25 modifier for different religions?

Whoa, you are so far ahead of where I was at that date. What was your order of conquest? And how come you have almost no rebels? And your traders are collecting a lot more money than I could hope for.

Maybe you could record a letsplay. I would watch it.

Hmm, interesting.

9. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    On Province window when you click on occupied province, you can assign the control of that province to your allies or to your vassals. When in peace deal you can then give it to vassals.

Peace deal also allows you to force your enemy to "return core" to your vassals, if those provinces are their cores.

You can also give a province in diplomacy tab which will cost you some Prestige points.

Vassals will likely to take provinces if it doesn't affect their overextension much. So give them when they only just finished coring provinces.

Btw your colonies, which are a kind of vassals, do not count toward your relation limit, so France, Castille/Spain or UK you can keep them as your colonies instead of annexing them. Colonies can only settle in America or Australia, btw, which is a bit of a constraint.

10. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013
    State yields far exceed the extra cost one the autonomy is down. In fact, the only reason not to state provinces is when you go for WC and you have already become so large that stating makes no difference, so it would be a waste of admin points.

As for rebels, stability isn't the only (or even the best) way to keep unrest low. Humanist ideas are great, as well as other ideas or the special edict which gives reduced years of separatism. Years of separatism is the amount of time rebels will persist in an area due to unrest. It's like they are "dormant" after you killed of a rebellion and will pop up again after some time. When years of separatism expire, they will stop popping, unless your unrest gets considerably higher.

It's quite easy to vassalize people. Many would accept due to your power, others you can force-vassalize through war. The limit prevents you from amassing a giant vassal army which can do all sorts of other things for you. A main benefit for example is them fabricating claims on your enemies so you can justify a war through that rather than wasting time with your own diplomat.

What HHHNNNGGG said.

Well, you can do that, but that doesn't mean you should. The only buildings which are cost-effective to build for your own vassals before annexing them are higher level forts. Anything else isn't all that worth it.

:^)

Ah, then you have to capture them, core them and convert them first before they really count as Coptic religious centres. Both Alexandria and Antioch start as Sunni.

That's largely the same for Christianity with Jerusalem.

It's not a bad idea per se, it's just generally not worth it which makes it a bad idea. You definitely can increase development manually when you really need to.

Development can also increase randomly through events or certain decisions. Persia has the best event of them all in terms of that. If I recall correctly, they get an event at some point where all of their provinces (yes, every single one) get +1 or +2 base tax, production and manpower. Ottos have the one for Constantinople when they capture it and the Byzantines too when they reestablish the Theme system.

Building limit is good to overcome if you really need a building somewhere, otherwise it's not worth it either. You should put a sort of mental minimum cap of yields for each type of building so you don't build every type on every province. For example, as Ottos I generally avoid building mosques if they give 0.10 ducats or below.

I didn't say they are useless. Wasteland isn't a characterization for the Siberian provinces, there are literal wastelands like Sahara in Africa where no provinces to capture exist. When you claim certain border provinces, that wasteland becomes "yours" so it gives the impression of you being much larger. If you got confused by me calling them empty, that also means that just no one owns them so you colonize them.

In general, Siberian provinces aren't great still, but plenty of them amount to quite a boost. If there are, say, 30 Siberian provinces, that's roughly 90-100 (there are more developed provinces too) development up for grabs.

You can pimp your shock damage overall without too much cavalry if that's your main motivation. I'd argue it's better because it gives that extra shock value to your entire army.

They do. That "Quantity ideas" and co are their names.

I'd avoid aristocratic with Ottos if I were you, but overall Offensive, Quantity and maybe Defensive aren't bad at all (in fact the first 2 are great). You don't have to take only a few of each, gradually advance through those ideas. The best ideas from each group are usually at the end, plus you get one really major bonus if you complete an entire idea group. For example, +50% force limit if you finish Quantity.

When you finish idea groups, you also unlock policies which you can activate in your Missions tab. Depending on the category they belong to, you spend 1 of the according monarch points every month to have that policy enabled and it gives some excellent bonuses. Bear in mind that policies are unlocked via duos though. So there are policies for fully unlocking 2 idea groups, creating many combinations.

Example: If you have 3 fully completed idea groups and 1 half-finished, then you will have 3 available policies to choose from and another 3 grayed out.

You can have up to 5 policies at the same time, but be mindful: When you assign one, you can't cancel it until at least 10 years have passed, so choose wisely.

The reason it's easier to retake isn't just luck, it's also the garrison. When you conduct a siege, the garrison of the province is depleted and gradually builds up again. So when someone tries to retake it shortly after, it's easier than you having to do it in the first place.

If you have too much money, do it anyway. Otherwise only do it in countries that are unstable or long wars where rebels are already agitated and the country might not be able to handle them.

You can help them grow by joining their wars against nations like Morocco or Tlemcen. Also, I was mainly inferring their forts and size which hamper offensives.

The War of the Roses never breaks England, but it's a crisis that makes their early years against France tough which is crucial for a relevant England. England has very little involvement in mainland politics if they lose their French provinces and they become increasingly isolated. Even if they are at war with you, they will be very reluctant to send any troops to the mainland which has spawned several memes around the English AI.

I mean, I don't blame it, I wouldn't want to face France on land either.

That doesn't prevent them from rivaling them and being a great threat to their east.

Which they barely upgrade. Whenever I besieged them in every single one of my campaigns, after a while I just start the siege at 21% progress or something like that. Plus their capital doesn't have a fort which is quite a treat.

Florence was very weak when I first approached them, so their size compared to mine didn't allow for much opposition. Generally, threatened nations by you are far more likely to become vassals than friendly ones.

Also, you can circumvent the inherent negative opinion by various ways. Let's say that due to various other interactions, their opinion of me was -10 when I approached them.

-Improving relations: +100
    -Proclaiming guarantee: +10
    -Alliance: +40 ( I think)
    -Transferring their trade power: +10
    -Influence nation with the Great Power options: +25
    -Sending a gift: up to +25

Sum: +210

Easy vassalization. That becomes an even smaller issue with other religions that don't ban royal marriages with heathens like Hindus, Tengri etc.

The idea is to attack everything in your vicinity, basically. There is no bad place to start, but be weary of aggressive expansion because coalitions can be nasty early on. Ottos just bypass that with ease due to their wide range of areas to expand. When you expand too aggressively in Europe, switch to Africa and the ME instead so Europeans aren't agitated more (some of them which are closer might still be agitated from those, but it's not that significant).

You want to take out your regional rivals early and take over rich provinces in Egypt and the Levant and later Mesopotamia. These are far more important than Europe because it prevents encirclement from multiple wars. Then just go ham against everything, there should be no real opposition to Ottos until the early 17th century or so.

Don't be scared of rebels when you need to declare a war. Unless that war needs all your troops alert, having a medium-size stack in each key area will quell all rebels.

Killing rebels of one kind as I have said makes them dormant and you repeat that until their years of separatism end. High unrest can be reduced by increasing autonomy before the Age of Absolutism and by placing troops on top of the provinces with unrest. Troops on agitated provinces reduced unrest, as does increase in autonomy. The effect of not getting the full yields of the province is usually minimal early on (unless it's some crazy good province like Cairo), but as I've said, only do that before the Age of Absolutism.

That is because at that age, the absolutism mechanics unlock. Absolutism is a measure which exists in monarchies and has various ways to increase or decrease. Increasing autonomy of provinces decreases it which is not optimal. Absolutism provinces administrative efficiency which reduces the effects of overextension and makes coring cheaper, as well as providing a few other bonuses, most notably discipline.

As for merchants, HHHNNNGGG's post about trade before generally covers the basics. What you want to do is switch to your trade node map mode and see the direction of the trade flow. Knowing which is your main node (the one you collect from without any merchant on it), your nation also automatically transfers trade power from other nodes whose flow goes towards your main one. That depends on your trade range as well.

Using merchants in those nodes or even in areas where your nation doesn't automatically do that will cause trade cash to get redirected to your main node, thus increasing your money yields there. Placing a merchant on that node to collect will also increase it, but I wouldn't recommend it most of the time, especially if you have significant trade power in many nodes at once. In fact, those trade buildings you build don't give any ducats, they simply increase your trade power in the node they belong to. Thus, you either collect or redirect more ducats than before.

Don't collect from trade in nodes that intercept the flow to your main node as well.

I'm a bit experienced, but not good enough for that.

11. Eutychius

Aug 15, 2013