1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Nead help about 30 fps at DotA 2

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by Dr_JP, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Game runs perfectly (80-120 FPS with maximum video settings) until about 30 minutes on, then it's limited to 30 fps, needing a Windows restart to come back to normal state, just to repeat the same process.

Changing video resolution or video setting don't have any influence about it.

I have disabled Xbox DVR, and the "HP CoolSense" is turned off, as well as I'm on "high performance mode" with A/C conected.

I've performed a recovery for OS, so no malware/virus should be the problem.

What else could I do to fix that, guys?

Really need your help.

2. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Your specs should be fine, I can only think of your system getting too hot? Have you measured temperatures? You can do so with for example speedfan.

3. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I've used both Speccy and Speedfan, and they show my motherboard (mainly) gets easily over 80ºC during Dota 2.
    CPU goes high but not that much, while Video Card is mostly cool.

By speed fan, I can see I have 2 fans: 1st one usually runs around 2000 and goes up to 3800 rpm, while the other one keeps at 250 rpm (I guess this one might be blamed for not getting higher values).

When I have a bit more time available, I'll try to change settings from BIOS in order to increase those rpm, because Speedfan isn't able to reach it.

Thank your for the insight anyway.

PS: I noticed whenever I use "alt + tab" to check other windows while Dota 2 is fullscreen, Dota 2 runs exactly at 30 fps (and it helps to cooldown both CPU and motherboard meanwhile), and when I go back to fullscreen, it goes back to 80-120 fps.

Would that be any kind of clue?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Good news!

It seems to have correlation with overheat, indeed!

I did a bios upgrade/update (from HP official site) which claimed to improve performance into high CPU usage scenarios, and now motherboard temperature doesn't go higher than 70ºC.

As a plus, I limited by DotA 2 to 60 FPS (no graphic improvement above that), so now I've played an entire match without those fucking 30 FPS limitation.

Thank you dewouter!

mapdesigner likes this.
  5. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I didn't do much, it has been you who did all the work, but glad it's working better now.

Dr_JP likes this.