1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Legends has 100 million downloads...

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Skurai, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    ....so, is valve planning to make a DOTA legends type of mobile game?

A stripped down version of dota that ends in 10-15mins perhaps, just like mobile legends?

2. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
  3. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Artifact is just around the corner. Perhaps you have been living behind a corner stone.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  4. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Well, DotA already have

HHHNNNGGG likes this.
  5. Abdulink

Abdulink Member

Aug 8, 2010
    That game is such a shameless LoL ripoff it's not even funny.

6. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Abdulink:
    Which game is such a LoL ripoff ?

7. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    It doesn't mean that amount of people are playing.

8. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @slipkwar:
    Yeah, DotA2 downloads are at least 100 more then the active players.
    Multiple devices which single player has installed the game, a lot of players also would download the game, try it and uninstall afterwards.
    A lot of players also stopped playing at some point.

Even 100,000,000 downloads doesn't mean a thing doesn't mean a thing.

Winrar perhaps have a lot of downloads, doesn't give them revenue.

9. fine93

fine93 Member

Feb 12, 2010
    you have dota 2 for that

10. Mimic

Mimic Member

Aug 30, 2011
    He was saying that Dota 2 is a LoL ripoff

11. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    That is a card game?

This mobile legends game has far more users than dota does. A mobile dota might be good and might even lead to more dota 2 players?

Dota 2 cant be played in mobile guys.

Yeah but still there has to be alot of players there.
    Dota 2 only has half a million average players now.

I get matches in less than 30 secs when I queue for mobile legends.

Who?
    A cute dota 2 mobile with say 50 heroes, only the most popular ones and simpler gameplay wont be a bad idea. A simpler less serious short version would work. People arent so serious on mobile.

Valve worried dota mobile cannibalize their dota 2 game?
    Hmmm well if people do move from dota 2 computer to dota 2 mobile, queue times would be longer :(

If only we had more people.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  12. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Mimic:
    That's what I also understand, but this means he doesn't understand how things work.
    Both games were basically developed by one team which afterwards split and make contracts with different companies.
    Saying that one is a ripoff from the other is just being uneducated.
    Stating that with confidence and trying to sound high and mighty is plain stupidity.

@Skurai:
    QAC = question answered, close thread.
    A game is judged successful by the revenue it makes, number of users is good metrics but doesn't mean as much.

DotA have a lot of active players every single moment.

Mobile games always have more players then most PC games, it's because of availability, but there is a reason they hype die faster and their income per participant is lower.

The charm of DotA is int's complexity, most players hate LoL because it's simple, a mobile game tend to be simple because of OS limitations. So it will make a fight for the market of the same users which play mobile LoL, not such a good move - at least what I think.

LoL (the PC version) also have more players on average and they are also on the decline as in DotA, but Riot doesn't share their data so you can't know how much they are right now. It's attractiviness is in simplicity of the moba genre, the number of viable strategies and moves is much lower then in other games, but it makes it attractive to new players.
    There is a reason the average level of players there is so low, most of them are beginners and unwilling to learn properly - staying at the bottom which makes it hell for everybody there.

Anyway - LoL is not a game for me nor for a lot of players - so I don't play it. While a mobile might be interesting for a lot of players - I sincerely doubt that most regulars will play it and it will have as much success as mobile LoL.

13. Abdulink

Abdulink Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Mobile legends. From the look, to heroes/skills and even names.

14. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Abdulink:
    Yes, thank you for the clarification.

Indeed it is fun when some company sue others for copy rights over nothing - and then we have this mobile game just create a mobile copy of LoL. Eating all of the lawsuits is just normal.

By the way, before you pointed that out and doing a 2 minute research I honestly thought that it was LoL:mobile created by Riot (I've never played it, just saw it few times on passerby in public transport).

15. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    @Kamu

dota player amount have dropped and it is only half a million now lol
    If even 1% of mobile legends players are active, they would have 1 million players, twice ours lol

16. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skurai:
    Sure, but are they the same player who play seriously other games or casual 'mobile gamers' (so they won't play anything else anyway).
    Would they when at home play the mobile game or will they sit in front of the PC etc.

Also - in my previous post - number of players doesn't correspond to anything - income does (at least for the developing company).

17. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Yes but it will still increase dota popularity.
    U can get a game match under 10 secs in mobile game, because there are that many players, alot more than dota players i reckon.
    Food for thought

kamukag3e likes this.
  18. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Skurai:
    Or just their search pattern differs greatly.

I mean it's quite easy to make search time in DotA 10 seconds. Just remove any groups and modes.
    All pick only, not divided by rank or normal, rating, behavior score and such - then you will have all the players in said server finding games in an instant.

I don't know how the algorithm of the mobile game is - but I sincerely doubt it's refined.

Even the desktop version of LoL have a huge problem (while having low search time), because most of it's player base are clumped in one division (3 actually, but you get my drift).

I too think that DotA can build a mobile version, but that's what marketing division of Valve is up to research and decide is it worth it.