1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

MKB'S mini-bash

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by Skulls_n_Souls, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    I've heard and read conflicting opinions about it, and from what i got is that the stun pierces bkb if the carrier is melee, doesnt if they're ranged. The damage pierces it either way.

Someone can confirm this?

2. Z01d

Z01d Member

Feb 26, 2014
  3. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    @Z01d
    The link you provided (which was the first thing I checked) didn't clear the matter I'm asking for.
    I googled and checked, otherwise I wouldn't have come here. Purge mentioned that it's magical (whether melee or ranged); I further read into it and found conflicting posts.

Please don't assume that people are stupid or ignorant. If you find the question/person below your mental capabilities, just don't answer them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Dota 2 gamepedia has a little icon over the green bar which exposes the interaction with BKB/Manta Illusions/Unique attack modifiers.

Then, it states mini-bash doesn't go through spell immunity at any way.

5. derd2323

derd2323 Member

Dec 13, 2016
    You're asking a question. You are ignorant.

6. Z01d

Z01d Member

Feb 26, 2014
    maybe then don't believe random shit you read on the internet
    this takes 1 min in a test lobby to find out

7. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Confirmed.

In DotA WC3.

In Dota 2 they overruled old mechanics, so anything in old DotA might not be applicable here.

8. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
  9. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Ignorance is not knowing and not wanting to know; people who want to learn aren't ignorant.

Now that I would've been happy with, except I saw a game or two where melee heroes minibashes enemies under BKB. Just wanted to know if it's still as such or been changed.

Thank you for your help.

How hard was that?
    Thank you, HNG.

10. Blamagenkind

Blamagenkind Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Mini bash in DotA 2 doesn't pierce BKB.

11. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    However, the true strike effect goes through spell immunity, so there's no "counter true strike", like it works against Magina's manabreak, for example.

12. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    In DotA 1, there are two related abilities on MKB: True Strike, which is based on Critical Strike, and Mini-Bash, which is based on Bash. In reality, both Bash and Critical Strike are the same hardcoded ability though, just with different settings and stacking behavior. Critical Strike normally amplifies attack damage,but in the case of True Strike, this field is set to 0, so it has no effect, but since the "never miss" setting is enabled, it will work against all targets, including with BKB. For a melee hero it will always work, but for a ranged hero, it is a buff placer, so you have to make sure not to override it with another buff placer like Eye of Skadi (but for whatever reason, Bash does stack with Critical as long as the Bash is acquired later, so Mini-Bash doesn't conflict with True Strike).

Bashes are more complicated. For ranged heroes, the damage from Bash is physical and added directly to the attack (so only one total instance of damage is dealt). That can't be prevented. But the stun itself is similar to Storm Bolt and does not penetrate magic immunity. For melee heroes, the damage from Bash is magical and dealt in a separate instance (thus blocked by magic immunity). But the stun is physical and thus does penetrate magic immunity. Note that this doesn't just apply to MKB but to Cranium Basher and other bashes as well.

In DotA 2, the system was simplified. The properties of a bash no longer depend on the weapon type of the hero using it; instead, they are a property of the ability itself. As you can see from the wiki, most bashes pierce magic immunity but deal magical damage, which would obviously get block. The exceptions are Slardar's Bash of the Deep, which deals physical damage (and thus fully penetrates magic immunity), Treant Protector's Nature's Guise, which deals no damage at all, Monkey King Bar's Mini-Bash, which does not penetrate magic immunity (for whatever reason), and Doom's Infernal Blade, which, because it's an active spell, cannot be used on a magic immune target at all.