1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

[Misc]How to really climb mmr

Discussion in 'Guides' started by SingDavion, Oct 9, 2016.

1. SingDavion

SingDavion New Member

Aug 14, 2016
    In general, games are determined by who has sieged more enemy structures. It can therefore be safe to say that getting your team to focus towers is of great priority. But this is not really the answer.

Teams at low mmr don't know when they should push, and they don't know when they have an advantage. It is therefore imperative that you abuse everyone's lack of awareness by doing things that are spontaneous.

It's that simple. Be spontaneous.

A very simple example of a spontaneous thing a team can do:
    Smoke and invade enemy jungle!
    This action is so spontaneous when done correctly, it will work all the way through to 5k mmr.
    People don't know how to react to spontaneous or stupid things happening.

Many people will try to tell you that you need to focus on farm, or being a good support, but literally none of this is true.

Early game spontaneity manifests in ganks and unexpected pushes. If you push a tower at 10 minutes, you are literally FORCING the enemy team to react.

Spontaneity also manifests in NON STOP pressure. You know how everyone says you should be farming? Fuck that, you need to get your team grouped and pushing right NOW.
    Why? Because low mmr people don't know how to react. They don't know what to do if the enemy team is non stop pushing them. People are just incapable of comprehending macro situations like this.

Now there is an art to this. You can not simply try to walk up their base 30 times in a row with all of them ending in failure.
    If the enemy team is hiding in their base, you need to find the right timing and until then farm their jungle. You could also hide and wait for one of their heroes to overextend (which they will) and do a fast pick off the moment they move too far out.

In all of these situations, you should be the one winning team fights almost always.
    Being spontaneous is MORE POWERFUL than a 10k gold and experience advantage. ESPECIALLY at low mmr.
    After winning the teamfight, you MUST siege a structure. Otherwise you basically got very little done expect gain some gold (which will technically make it easier in the long run).

That's it. Be spontaneous. Do crazy shit. Take risks. People don't know how to deal with it and they will lose. This alone should get you to mid 4k (assuming you can do basic shit like using skills and having good positioning).
    Good luck

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. Dora The Collector

Dora The Collector New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    if you don't mind me asking OP, what's your winrate in solo ranked ? what's your mmr? what's your dotabuff?

3. Lavalampe

Lavalampe Member

Oct 10, 2009
    The pushing thing is correct but the key is communication. You cannot push alone. You need a team that pushes with you and you often have to convince your team when you have an advantage.

I had a game as Jakiro in the high 2k bracket where we won a teamfight around the 10min mark. I convinced my team to push from tier 1 up to throne cause I realized that we are in front and they don't have the tools to deal with my Liquid Fire against their towers. We won the game at the 17min mark.

The enemy team wrote in chat: "WTF was that?!"

CvP likes this.
  4. CvP

CvP Member

May 17, 2009
    This or you have to ball out of control (KDA like 20-2-5).

If you keep trying to push when your team doesn't understand the concept or "early push" or "taking objectives when possible", it is better to just farm and hope for best. Unless you are playing full rat, solo/duo push will most likely backfire.

Lavalampe likes this.
  5. Lavalampe

Lavalampe Member

Oct 10, 2009
    ... or you play Underlord or KotL and "kidnap" your teammates for a push via Ultimate. :p

6. CvP

CvP Member

May 17, 2009
    Prepar to get X-ping spammed to death and a free report :D

7. archaichearts

archaichearts New Member

Dec 18, 2015
    how to climb mmr -> git gud

8. Kyf-

Kyf- New Member

Oct 9, 2016
  9. aberjams

aberjams Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Problem is,,, you have to get people motivated to do these "spontaneous" things. I don't want to say most - but a lot of peoples will afk farm, not rotate, etc. Getting your teammates to follow the direction is kind of a pain.
    Going on your vision though, if you could get your team to pick a nice little deathball combo, there is no reason you couldn't just 5 man a lane from the start and just fin in 15. Best case scenario would be a CM match, where you are the judge and can pick your team out, explain what's up for an early 5 man gank, and just win.
    The question is , current meta providing, what is/are the best deathball early game combo heros?
    Insert dream team below:

10. cyxozor

cyxozor New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You don't need 5 ppl just get terror and sd on a lane and gg ez

11. Clear

Clear Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Is this how guides look like now? Back in my day, we put pictures, table of contents and proper structure to our guides!

12. bigtopbobby

bigtopbobby New Member

Oct 12, 2016
    DISPLAY YOUR CREDENTIALS

13. Deboi

Deboi New Member

Nov 6, 2012
  14. thisgamelull

thisgamelull Member

Jul 3, 2016
    All sounds great, bro. How do we attempt this? Where do we smoke from? Where do we wait with our ambush? What heroes allow us to apply constant pressure?

Little to no effort put into this 'guide'. This is only my 'opinion'....

Thank you for exposing this illuminati sheeple attempting to enlighten us. This is exactly why MMR, region and experience should be on display. That allows us to avoid having to read information that we deem unworthy. Better yet, can we get a filter so i can avoid 99% of all posts on this forum? Filter -> no 2ks -> kthxbye

15. bigtopbobby

bigtopbobby New Member

Oct 12, 2016
  16. Nick_Sosa

Nick_Sosa New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Funny post honestly

17. UndeadAsteriks

UndeadAsteriks Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I've seen this somewhere before...

18. GoldsmithSmarty

GoldsmithSmarty New Member

Jan 24, 2012
    One thins is true here, a lot of people indeed don't know how to react to constant pushing and pressure.

19. Plegma

Plegma New Member

May 8, 2017
    I mean any average team would just split push if you are grouping as five. In order to get through 1-3k, it is best to play offlaners that can scale well such as fv so you can fuck up the enemy carries farm because most people in 1-3k don't know how to pull, push pull, harass, etc. With that being said, you shouldn't always play offlane, but the reason I said to pick well scaling heroes is because if you are a carry player, you can learn a lot by playing offlane because you see the enemy carry mistakes and you won't do those yourself then because you realize what mistakes they are making. Outlaning and outfarming your enemies is the key to 1-3k dota. But if you want to improve at these things, do them one at a time like learning to cs, pulling, keeping lane equilibrium, etc. Final thing in 1-3k dota is to not make stupid item and lane choices like getting blight stone, quell on sf then going top (Yes I was actually up against a guy like this in one of my games). Just build standard builds and go standard lanes. Don't be like "Omg miracle- is playing am mid let me try it too" or "Oh wow these pros are playing spectre without radiance". All these things that 1-3k dota players do in their conceptual understanding of dota go into their mechanical skill too. Learning to maximize your farm and going standard item builds, it will have a big impact on your climbing in mmr.

20. 618

618 Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Spam pos 1 every game and outfarm enemy.