1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Mid game positioning

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by ItsJustANumber, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ItsJustANumber

ItsJustANumber Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Mid player here (AMA). I usually handily win my lane, however towards the mid game I'm garbage. It seems that wherever the action is happening I'm not there. When the enemy fights you under your own tower it's easy, all you have to do is make sure you carry a tp. But in my games I'm either farming woods, or defending a tower that's being pushed in by creeps, or pushing the enemy tier 1 mid tower and so on.
    How can I improve on being at the right place at the right time? What are my priorities?

2. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    If you see your team running as 4 into the enemy jungle, you might as well follow them, even if you think they're being stupid.

Better to be stupid as a team than smart individually, that's what I learnt.

3. ItsJustANumber

ItsJustANumber Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Yeah I noticed this too. When my teammates are just going as 2 farming a wave nowhere near any of our towers I try to farm in their area in case something goes down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  4. desOo

desOo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    what's the skill level? You should be checking every lane quite often. See what happens - know their items - combos and damage. Carry a tp scroll and try to communicate with your team about what to do if you see they are not doing what they are supposed to. If you are always busy counterpushing towers it means that their team is creating more space, pushing more, and so on. You always have to know what's going on and what is every player kinda doing. Every single one - that's like something which comes automatical as you go on playing and get to higher skill levels.

If you always carry a tp and watch out for incoming fights - than the only times is when you have your tp in cd or you don't have mana or hitpoints. Those are the only situations where you are allowed not to go for the fights. Now that I think about it there are some other occasions where you may not have to go to the fight which is when taking important objectives or if the strategy of your team is like the 4heroes+AM farming - it happens that in some fights you are not supposed to go.

To avoid not being able to reach the fight - try not to waste tps (especially now that its cd is longer) ; to save mana points eg treads switching; being aware of how to farm efficiently; .... and to save hitpoints is mechanical and knowledge skills (like knowing always if it worth it harassing such hero in such conditions?)

This was what came to my mind - I'm just a 4k scrub in EU West and still got much to learn

5. SirPinkyNose

SirPinkyNose Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Start taking risky farm with your team to make space for your 1st.
    Bait out combats which you can win.
    Split push if you are behind, avoid ganks.
    Don't farm jungle, it's your 1st position's job.