1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Lume Fang

Discussion in 'Item Ideas' started by Daddy Sven, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] + [​IMG]
    Total Cost: 550 (recipe 275)

Bonuses:
    +Lume Attack

• Poisons the target, dealing damage over time, slowing movement based on whether the equipped hero is melee or ranged
      and providing true sight on the target.

Move Speed Slow (Melee): 15% (+3%)
      Move Speed Slow (Ranged): 5% (+1%)
      Damage per Second: 10 (+5)
      Duration: 4 (+1)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    track as an item? might be too powerful, possibly raise price and provide anti-illusion capabilities instead of anti-invis

3. Haasva

Haasva Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Would be really better if it woud contain an additionnal components instead of just a recipe.
    And please no more daggers/swords/sabres/blades^^

4. Jon

Jon Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I agree with Haasva. The problem with calling something a Dagger is that we already have a very notable dagger that everyone refers to. Also, LD is already an abbreviation, too.

A needle (like a syringe, or the kind for knitting) would perhaps be an interesting theme. Something like "Theseus' Needle," because it leaves a trail, maybe?

I do like the idea behind the item regardless of theme, though.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. asokaaso2

asokaaso2 Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Kinda OP for a cheap item. Hmm and it also reminds me Bushwack

6. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    -Item renamed from Lume Dagger to Lume Fang.
    -Item no longer provides vision. Only true sight.

The item intentionally doesn't have any components apart from a recipe as to compensate for the strong effect. The improved slow and DoT make, it a bit more favorable for supports, in addition to the cheap price. While the fact that it requires right clicks to be fully efficient makes it an option for carries, as they also benefit from the DoT and the fact that they won't be so highly prioritized if they held a gem.

The low price and lack of other stats also put it on fair grounds with other anti invis items. Making this a higher tier item would discourage supports from getting it, while making it a bit too good for carries. The trigger requirements makes it a unique form of anti invis. While the improved efficiency for ganks and bonus damage being a DoT means that even supports can put it to good use as it would improve their harass by roughly 22 damage to the target.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Jon likes this.
  7. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Hmm while I do like the item, it's cheaper to just get Orb of Venom and dust (~4 uses), and you don't have to keep hitting people to keep them revealed with dust, while slowing for more, and applying it from much further away. It would need a duration buff for sure if it's to be viable on melee heroes (it they don't get hit in between attacks for 3 seconds they're gone, and it takes more than one second to autoattack people early on due to low attack speed).
    This is an issue as ranged heroes don't value orb of venom at all.

It doesn't say on your item's description but I assume the slow and true-sight can just be purged like orb of venom, meaning dust is always a better choice. If you still need both orb of venom and detection, it's often early enough in the game that you have the slots for it, and if you don't you can just go without the Orb of Venom.
    And once you do get Lume's Fang it's the first item you will want to replace.

What would be good IMO is making the item something like Orb of Venom + Bracer instead, while keeping Bracer's stats to promote the item's longevity (I miss the times bracer was good for roamers), OR by simply buffing what the item gives and making it more consistent (when I get dust I know I can turn that into a kill, but I can't count on Lume's Fang for this purpose as 3 seconds is just too short). How about doubling the damage and slow against invisible targets (if the opponent leaves invis they still take the double slow and damage and you can keep refreshing it)?

8. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    I really don't want to up this with any other attributes as that risks making it a general item you'd get and not something specified for anti-invis. I improved some values:

-Duration increased from 3 to 4 seconds
    (keeping it 4 for both melee and range should be fine as the slow already compensates for the range disadvantage)
    -Recipe cost reduced from 350 to 275

9. Abstract.Raze

Abstract.Raze Member

Mar 14, 2012
    The recipe should cost at least 3k gold.

10. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    You owe me a bump somewhere.

[​IMG]

Daddy Sven, Wrooks and Jon like this.