1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to play this game simply out of fun? How does one play this game healthily?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by ayushsinha, May 10, 2018.

1. ayushsinha

ayushsinha New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I have a weird on and off relationship with dota. I play it for days at a time, eventually get obsessed and can't think of anything else and then get horrified at myself and delete it.

Sometimes, I feel empty even after winning especially if it is a one-hour snoozefest.

It just feels like the purpose of me playing dota should be that I want to have fun(personal beliefs). The competitiveness of the game even in unranked(the mode I play) makes it fun. But the fact is, the game is not fun ALL the time. It is excruciatingly terrible in some cases but also extremely fun and rewarding in the other cases.

The thing is, playing DotA puts me on autopilot. There are so many things to do that I end up doing lots of things without really understanding why. You can't do this as you play the game(you can't be questioning yourself "Why do people kill Roshan? Why do people buy wards? Why exactly do I have to last hit creeps? Why is so much of this game so arbitrary and weird? ?" AS you are playing it as the game is too fast-paced.

The thing is much of the advice and tips you learn from other people are so that your actions and decisions should make you win the game as efficiently and methodically as possible.

The next question is quite subjective and is asking do you REALLY want to win the game that much? Can you derive pleasure from the robotic and methodical nature that is required from you to play the game in the most effective manner possible?

For me, the answer is quite often a NO. I often know I am making bad decisions as I cannot justify to myself if making the better decisions is even worth it(maybe that is why I don't play ranked apart from long queue times). I WANT to extend the game and go for kills instead of objectives. I WANT to choose to be afk farm wraith king in the hopes that I can blink into fights and destroy everyone 20 minutes later.

The thing is, does dota accommodate for this type of ideology? Should I exist in the DoTA community if I don't always want to get good at the bitter cost of my humanity and sense of self?

Haasva likes this.
  2. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    As I can see - you are not actually enjoying the learning curve, nor the win - you enjoy something else related to DotA (don't know what, perhaps would be good if you try to think about what part do you actually like).

Try playing Overthrow (the custom map).
    It's fast, it's fun and it's not so occupying, so you can make 1-2 games without a bother and leave whenever without even hindering the other's players fun because of that.

Another thing to do is play vs AI be it alone or with other players, it's not so challenging, but it's relaxed and no pressure on you to win the game.

3. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Find yourself a stack which fits your playstyle. I see little point in playing Dota or any other game of this ganre solo.
    Get yourself a couple of online friends for serious games, casual games and wacky strat games. You'll enjoy Dota, a lot more, especially since you'll be also socializing with people who think alike.

4. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    It's kinda amusing for me that you say you're bad at making decisions at this game. Making decisions is like the easiest thing to be good at. Well, most of the time anyway.

It's actually hard for me to find such a well balanced opponent team that's too hard or basically impossible to counter. Why sometimes I keep losing, in spite of all I know at this point, is due to retarded teammates more than anything else. This may sound arrogant from my part, but it's the truth, and I could prove it with a lot of match IDs.

Again, in spite of what I said there, I still enjoy it from time to time. Funnily it has even molded my temper a bit, because despite these horrible losses I don't even keep being angry some time after the match ends. I quickly forget this bad game and move onto the next.

For now, I would suggest you to keep trying different heroes and find some that you deem fun to play with. Most heroes are quite different in gameplay from each other, and that difference also extends to the "fun factor" of it.

I don't consider Dota a "fast-paced game", just fairly complex. But other games like Heroes of the Storm (also in the MOBA genre) are much faster paced, because of their own unique features and twists. In HotS you don't farm gold, only experience, and the experience is shared by all members of the team, it's not individual. You start that game with all your "non-ultimate" abilities unlocked, and this allows for big teamfights even at level 1. Etc etc etc. All these things make for a game faster than Dota.

Back on the fun aspect of Dota. In Dota you have to develop skills like last hitting, like microing different units with certain heroes, or random techniques like chaining a lot of commands together (useful with heroes like Tinker) or handle a lot of active abilities and items in short sucession. Etc. All these are skills, you cannot learn them from guides or tutorials, you have to develop them yourself. On the other side you also have all the knowledge about skill and item builds, item priorization, how to play a hero or how to counter it, etc. You can learn those from guides and tutorials. You can learn WHY are you supposed to do these things.

Out of these 2 things (skills and knowledge) it is far easier to acquire knowledge, I mean just take a good while reading guides and watching tutorials and you'll learn a good bunch of things. But acquiring skills? That's harder, and you have to keep practicing I guess, otherwise you become dull.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Such a fun thing to hear, making decisions is the easiest thing to do.
    It is indeed the easiest, but making good decision is the hardest thing, competitive players all have their mechanics mastered, and all basics set, all they do is decision making - basically in every competitive field is like that, and then one dude said that it's the easiest thing to do.

World has a strange way to show how ignorant some of the people are.

Sorry for off topic.

6. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Try to watch your replays

7. Haasva

Haasva Member

Dec 26, 2011
    He simply enjoys Dota. That's all, /topic

8. RNGeezus

RNGeezus Member

Nov 18, 2014
    I enjoy solo queuing. I like to see how well I can influence the game and tilt it in my favor so that I can win. Split pushing is important, but you also need to be at fights (cough cough ember spirit). Don't try and over-complicate it, just ask yourself, why did you die or why did you push their tier 3 when everyone was missing on map? If you lose, try and learn from it, was there anything you could have done better? There usually is.

Play lots of turbo, I don't really care for ranked nowadays, just enjoy the game and have fun.

One major part about solo queuing is you need to be able to gauge whether or not people on your team know what they are doing or not. How to find this out? Just gank their lane and see how they act, then make your judgement there. Be like okay, I pinged I was ganking and they didn't do anything, noted.

I also normally mute all-chat as I find partaking in mental gymnastics with my teammates only makes me less focused on the game and hinders my game-play. A good player will know what to do and not have to be told every move to make.

9. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Is playing healthy? If yes under what circumstances and what range of hours.

Also, healtht mentally lets assume, does it mean its good for brain?

Isnt it always better for ones mind to read useful books rather waste time?

I tgink playing is always not healthy, however its effects can range from severe to little dependung on amount and interaction.

Is seekng merely fun and joy healthy?

10. RNGeezus

RNGeezus Member

Nov 18, 2014
    I've thought about it before, it's actually been proven that video games can help a person speed up their decision making. I think dota helps train someone to become better at making decisions. There's a lot of information in a single dota game to process, over time you become better at processing and making sense of this information. Similar to how your brain reads a whole line in a book to help you read better. In dota you start to be able to predict what's going to happen on the board so that you can react accordingly. Obviously the game won't make you a genius, but it can help you think quicker and make logical decisions more confidently.

I look at it this way, if I can become good at dota, couldn't I take the same self-teaching methods and apply them to something else and become good at that too? Not in the sense that you play dota to get better at something else, but more-so you can apply the similar techniques you needed to become good at dota, elsewhere in life.

It's just like anything you choose to do. Many people enjoy wasting their days away on t.v. or the internet, even at a boring stale job, others choose to play dota, it's really just up to you and whatever it is you enjoy doing.

"All action is reaction." -Ember Spirit

11. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    I play like 90% of the time alone as well, both because most of my friends play only sporadically, and because most people are idiots or have serious mental issues I don't even actively try to make more friends anymore.

When I find someone who seems to be a good player and a friendly and/or collected person, sometimes I would ask them about countering this or that hero, about builds or about mid hero matchups or the like. If the guy fails to respond correctly about something, I know he's not a suitable party friend for me. However, I've discarded so many people in this fashion that I rarely try again now.

I also mute chat instantly even if the person seems to be talking normally without a badly calibrated mic or any pesky obnoxious (and loud) music playing in the background. They're all distracting for me.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  12. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    If you aren't finding "fun" in this game, don't play it. Me, I'm a simple man. I only play DotA with friends. That's the "fun" part for me, that's all I enjoy doing in here. Party up, try to accomplish objectives, laugh our asses off as we abuse each other and everyone else over mic and chat.

Now I know there's a lot of people who play this game solo. I guess some of them at least have fun playing it that way. The last solo game of Dota I played was 3 or 4 years ago. I don't find it fun. It's not a solo game for me, nor is it fun. It's a game that's heavily dependent on the actions of 9 other people in this game. 4 of whom you have to interact with to achieve a modicum of success.

Some players advocate non-interaction i.e. Dragonfist. Maybe that works for him. I don't understand how that works though. This isn't Minesweeper, or Half-Life, or Bastion. It's not a single-player game.

If you want a game that's arcadey, blasty, actiony fun I strongly suggest looking at any one of the several thousand other games in existence, or being released literally every week. A lot of people purport to find fun in Overwatch, LoL, PUBG, CS, Fortnite, Smite or other games. I've played some of those, I like some of those, I will never play some of those because I know I won't find it fun. Just look around. Dota isn't an end all, be all. You don't owe it anything.

13. hitsuji

hitsuji Member

Jun 10, 2009
  14. MonkeyEx

MonkeyEx Member

Oct 31, 2009
    stick with Arcade and custom games
    unfortunately, valve tend to break these often.
    Overthrow, the most popular custom game has been broken since BP got released and Valve hasn't done shit to fix it.

15. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I would suggest playing Turbo and custom games or just quit the game like I did. I think I'll come back in a short time just to buy the Battle Pass and play some Turbo and watch the International and that would be it. I'm not planing on playing it seriously anymore. I would come back again when new Heroes or Items are added just to check it out.

Maybe you should try playing some other games instead of Dota.

MrFrank likes this.
  16. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Start playing the game when you want to and not when you are bored. I think you should play stuff like ardm or ar, it throws you out of your routine. Or maybe don't play it at all, get curious in about 3 months when there is a tournament and play it again.

17. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Why dunt u put these in the games suggestionz thread too????? (Quote urself)

18. Mimic

Mimic Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I understand lack of gay hero is what really concern you.

Don't worry.

Soon.

19. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    You're leaving the bisexual, asexual and demiromantic demographics out here man.

20. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Why is everyone advising against playing Dota? you can play this game all right. Everybody can.

What is not forgivable is that you refuse to use your brain as you do so.

I mean, if you like to be stupid, yeah you should play another game, but then again why would you like being stupid.

"This game is too hard"

Oh pls. Do yourself a favor, if you're just getting started, make sure you play the goddamn Dota 2 tutorial first, choose a hero to play with, and google search the internet/youtube for guides or tutorials on your hero of choice. The more detailed the guides are, the better. Then, once you've grasped the fundamentals, it's just a matter of practice.

"Community is too toxic"

Fuck em. Go to the options and disable all chat if you want. Play without any comm as best you can (it's better to play like this rather be ranting and trolling and getting trolled and killed while you were answering back to the trolls... you know). THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO PLAY STUPID, simply play as usual and coordinate your actions with your team as best you can without any comms.

Last edited: May 15, 2018