1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dota 2 "dying"?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by RashardLewis, Apr 14, 2018 at 4:58 AM.

1. MortalKombat3

MortalKombat3 Member

Dec 29, 2016
    The last International has 20kk+ $$$. How could someone call game "dying" with such high prize pool on its tournament?

2. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    If it is a troll.... 0/10
    If you don't know how politics works, just look at games like Overwatch where Blizzard is running the competitive scene as well as the casual scene (into the ground). Valve is using tournaments as a means of marketing to the masses. The worse the game will do, the more money will be spent into it granted to Valve can afford it. There's also a good chance (and I think I even read of something happening for ESL) that players are forced to return a share of their winnings to Valve which then gets fed into the next tournament, creating an artificially high price pool so you can come in here "But if the game is dying, why do tournaments have such a high pricepool?!!!11!!1".

3. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @GoLD-ReaVeR:
    Fun fact, the tournament was crowd-funded so Valve have the organization part, but not actually the prize pool.
    So ... uh, never mind keep going.

4. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Wow that's brilliant advertising by Valve :eek:

5. RashardLewis

RashardLewis New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Prize pool means nothing Valve is capitalist rich ass organization that's why they are still making hats in game. non-stop.

6. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Dota was much better when it was communist

7. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Don't you remember the good old days of Tito and Trotsky handing out tangos and T-34's to the impoverished sub-2k players after overthrowing the bourgeoisie Valve. Good times comrade.

8. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    They removed MMR inequality, we all got the same hats, and rather than competing, both Dire and Radiant worked together to build a better future

9. AveYo

AveYo Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Dota is more communist now than it ever was..

The textbook complicit report system, a cheap way to make people subjectively "police" themselves so that the establishment can control huge population while not risking a fall out, or even be put under scrutiny for well.. the system itself - just recently got upgraded to summary executions (aka 6-month bans).

No proof, no appeal, just the "voice of the people" cherry-picked by the Lord-in-sandals himself.
    And the loudest just so happens to be the scummiest, dehumanized trolls and sociopaths, thriving among the cognitive disorder majority.

A metastasized thought, feel and word hypocrite police, more preoccupied to hunt down and destroy / get fired / lifetime ban a pro player for saying the word nigga (even if he immediately "politically correct" himself), than acknoleging the cancer within' eating Dota - criminal report system, hidden pools and soft region locks; abysmal mm system; smurfing, boosting, account-buying.. and bloody cheating (tx gosu.ai for the valiant effort, you've forced Valve's hand on doing PR damage control.. yet there were no VAC bans so that nobody can put together statistics, and from combing through cheat forums - matchmaking-banned accounts numbers are insignificant).

"Why so reeeeeee toxic reeeeeee..?" Fuck off retards!

10. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    It's such a shame that Joseph "IceFrog" Stalin deviated from this utopia so much, we could have settled a colony to Uranus and settled there by now instead of being enslaved hat manufacturing mega-corps if it weren't for the Frog's treachery.

flamegod0 likes this.
  11. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    "Ded gaem"

- some guy in 2014

MrFrank likes this.
  12. b1ock

b1ock Member

Sep 25, 2014
    gabeN already disallows deleting accounts. with que times approaching 10min, what is make a smurf for 500.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM
  13. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Who? Where? The game was very much alive back in 2014. Show me those comments.

14. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    wat

15. b1ock

b1ock Member

Sep 25, 2014
    the ecosystem is closed by virtue of steambux and it doesnt seem like in the past there was any incentive NOT to smurf if you recorded failures on your record. you go through a streak of bad behavior or losses and maybe the system never forgets, never forgives, so why not smurf? now we have mmr recalibrations maybe there is less incentive to smurf

i dont know why you guys care so much about this. its always been obvious that all market transactions carry 10% fee in addition to compendium going towards prize pool. if nobody has any items for sale how can market mechanisms be tested for bugs, loopholes, etc. the market is a platform that has improved its function over time as transactions have increase and scale for secure performance. if you are like 19 yrs old getting carried away with injustices it would be a start to try filing your 1040 this year by yourself

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 4:22 PM
  16. theonly_USA_pro

theonly_USA_pro Member

Mar 12, 2013
  17. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @theonly_USA_pro:
    While the graph is good, keep in mind that the prediction is just partly true.

The game will eventually die out, just it won't be so fast and also - no game truly dies, just the player-base is limited to a handful of people.

Even Warcraft 2 is still played by tens of players even now - 23 years after it's release date, despite multiple new and more advanced games in the same genre which are much more developed etc.

HoN is the epitome of dead game, because it's concurrent games drain it's life force - it's still played by bunch of people and anybody going there can find enough players for a game.

18. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    If you say good chance when referring to a quite extraordinary claim like that then I think evidence is very necessary.

I don't see how this would be true at all. EE would lose his shit in a massive blog.

19. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I can't find the evidence at the moment. I came across it a few years ago and kept in the back of my head. Naturally all parties involved were under non disclosure agreement and that would also means EE wouldn't complain about his reward not being anywhere near the prize money.

20. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The EE part was a bit of a joke but I do get what you mean. I don't see an NDA from a US company being a problem for a Chinese or Russian player though. But its easier said than done so anyway.

I will choose to not believe it until I see an indication that it is true.