1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Dota 2 ded game now?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Leadblast, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Same happened in TF2, and there ain't many games deader than TF2

2. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I saw that apparently "toxic" players get banned for 6 months if they keep up their "toxicity". So yeah, this game is now dead.

3. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    6 months? U sure? Thats insane.

4. frigidsoul

frigidsoul Member

Feb 10, 2015
    players just grew up ,also the majority of players left dota slowly after 7.xx , don't be surprised they are trying to update game every two weeks and improving matchmaking(they implemented language based mm system), it just shows the threat to this game is real,also don't be surprised if they make "Dota 2 Classic mode".

just wanted to say valve just doing its own business and doesn't care about people ideas.

5. Cymen

Cymen Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Apparently being in the Top 10 of the Steam charts is now considered "dead"? At the time of posting, even Rocket League is below TF2 in both, peak and active players.

Oesile and gravedigger like this.
  6. gravedigger

gravedigger Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Get out of here with your facts and logic! We all know dotes died when they added techies back.

7. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Just like how when a tier 1 team loses a tournament it means they are trash and should disband.

Nope, gaem is dead once it's below #1, if it's still number #1 then it's dying.

kamukag3e likes this.
  8. BlizziC

BlizziC Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Surprisingly, the size of the TF2 playerbase have stayed more or less within the range of 50k avg. monthly players for the last 5-6 years. It's not dead if it never was alive in the first place.

9. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    wow, what happened to tf2

10. RNGeezus

RNGeezus Member

Nov 18, 2014
    I think everyone is finally getting a life

11. Louie!

Louie! Member

Jul 19, 2010
    DELET this dota is alyve Hehe.png

12. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    No, from seeing those numbers I think many have DELETED Dota from their system over the last 2 years

ded gaem is ded

13. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    will prob settle @ 500k.

its far from ded, but peak was definitely reached. ti8 will also break the streak of growing pricepools im pretty sure.
    ppl like LD and merlini stepping down from dota as its not 'sustainable' in the long run only adds to the decline. those guys were on the top of their game and still decided to call it quits. think about it.

ppl are getting older and need to get their shit straight, seeing the peers among them gettin married&buying houses, growing their careers. panic kicks in. its normal human behaviour.
    so ppl starting to question wether dota is the right path in the long run. and rightfully so ... its pretty unrealstic to expect this game to still be around 10 years from now on. u dont want to be left with nothing, especially when ur unable to make a steady income.
    sure the absolute top pros are makin it, and if theyre smart enough and know a thing or two about investing/real estate they probably never have to work a 'regular' job in their life again. but only a couple handful are fortunate enough to be in that position. for most ppl dota is just waste of time that leads nowhere and as u grow older u start to realize that u have to set priorities. we only got one life after all. u cant transform ur time spent on this game into anything useful in life. ur even worse off, cuz all that time devoted to playing is ultimately lost. time that could be invested into education, healthy lifestlye, networking, family.

yall have to stop wondering why its happening, rly.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Where does this ded gaem meme come from anyway?

15. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I wont say players grew up because League of legends is much bigger and gaming is actually a growing section. Valve needs to find more ways to curb toxicity.

I admit I been toxic before in dota as others have been toxic to me. I am not toxic in other games. Thats why i dota less although I dont quit. Valve has to figure it out

16. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    You literally have NO IDEA of what you're talking about. I've met plenty of gamers who are already married.

One does not simply quit gaming by forming a family.

17. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Leadblast:
    I also know a lot of games who are relatively old and play some games.
    But let me tell you one thing - I know much more people who stop playing games after certain age, despite being very enthusiastic about the games as teens.

I also am kinda passing the barrier and playing less and less, when I was teen - playing 6-10 hours each and every single day was completely normal. Now, I usually play 6-10 hours a week. And I'm one of the most 'addicted' to gaming which I know of (not counting professional players or related professions).

So knowing someone who is married and play the game is not the same as knowing how much time he spend.

As a matter of fact I know people who are in a marriage at the fragile age of 14, does that mean that all people marry at that age ?

18. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Eh, the reduction in game time for me comes from the fact that my day job takes priority, not because games interest me less. Also, this is a great opportunity to check some symptoms: do you have muscle cramps? Or difficulties concentrating?

19. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @GoLD-ReaVeR:
    I didn't say the reasons are different, exactly those are completely enough.

While the youth can put gaming quite higher in their list of priorities and spend a lot of time for it - adults having more responsibilities have less and less 'free' time to use for the things lower in their priority list.

If someone is adult and his job related to gaming - he can spend quite a lot of time, but if he works something completely different, have a mate to live with and in some cases children, their time is spend on more important thing, leaving them with very little to none for games.

You should put those questions in addition to others.
    Very rarely I receive muscle cramps, previously and now.
    I don't exactly count, but it's so rare that I would speculate with 'less then once a month'.

As for concentration - I can focus on a single task for hours if it's interesting for me even if there is outside disturbance, I was always good at concentrating at something and doing it properly.
    So now changes for me in that field.

Keep in mind that while I'm considered older for the average age of a game - which is usually around 19-22, I'm not reaching the end of the considered as peak years for an adult human male of around 35.

20. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I myself have gone from Guilty Gear player to ARK player up to the point where I've been unable to do my job. I faced cramps throughout this periods (usually less than once a month as well), but I found concentration dwindling, body was hurting and in a state of disrepair. Recently I dislocated my back (and my suspicion is a back muscle spasm, which with my 330lbs body will mean it can pull really hard). I even had cramps during my visit to the chiropractor to correct this issue. So he told me to up the magnesium dosage (which was 500mg from a supplement a day) so now I'm at double that + regular intake which takes me well over the daily recommended value. It not only made my body function quite a bit nicer, but it also seems that my brainfunction is improving again. Hence I was asking :p