1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of Win10 update

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by TypicalGC7, Oct 17, 2016.

1. TypicalGC7

TypicalGC7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    So how do I get rid of this?
    [​IMG]
    I've tried searching and I've deleted those KB##### installed updates but I still have this message and I'm afraid I can't check/download/install updates.

I've also tried looking into my registry keys for SOFTWARE> Microsoft> Windows> CurrentVersion> WindowsUpdate> OSUpgrade> AllowOSUpgrade, but I couldn't find it and I'd rather not mess with the registry keys.

So far the locked pop-up hasn't been around which is good but this thing is still here and I can't check for updates whatsoever. Any ideas?

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I did disk cleanup as well. Didn't really solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Lunerio

Lunerio Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Just a wild guess but I think at this state, this upgrade has already been downloaded. Which means you must find a way to delete it. To do that, you have to open "Disk Cleanup" (which is provided by Windows) with administrator rights. Press start, search "Disk Cleanup", rightclick "Run as Administrator". It opens a small window with your drives. You choose the main one where Windows is installed (usually C: ) Now wait, it will take quite a while... Then a slightly larger window appears and there are various categories of data you can delete (Tempfiles, Recycle Bin, etc.) and one of them must be update files. Check it and press OK. Restart after that. And it should be gone.

TypicalGC7 likes this.
  3. TypicalGC7

TypicalGC7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Oops! Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that I did Disk Cleanup as well which did not solve the problem. Thanks for trying though :/

4. Freaky Alien Genotype

Freaky Alien Genotype Moderator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2009
  5. TypicalGC7

TypicalGC7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    I've done pretty much everything said in the link you provided, but thanks.

I'm actually planning on going back to a previous restore point a year ago if I can find one, and if I can find the time. I've been getting busier and busier lately ;-;

6. Freaky Alien Genotype

Freaky Alien Genotype Moderator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Good luck with it. System restore points are about the only feature I think Microsoft haven't mucked up yet. So damn useful.

7. TypicalGC7

TypicalGC7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Thanks. I'll probably update this thread if it fixes my problem or not.

8. Lunerio

Lunerio Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Everything in this link means deleting said folders as well? Like everything everything? Then hopefully the last restore point will fix this, because there is like nothing else to do here anymore. When done, then be sure to ignore all the updates that is listed on this guide, so it never happens again.

I'll try to give you some more options from there, if you happen to not have any restore points (or if it didn't help): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Specifically if you have Windows 7 Pro (not Home), Ctrl+F "Group Policy", install the update that is shown, open gpedit.msc, follow the path that is written in bold characters.

Alternative open regedit and do this
    Code:
    Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
    Basically open the path (Subkey) and add the DWORD with the exact name and value 1. I guess you can only do that, when you installed the 3065987 update that is mentioned in this article. Not sure, but it shouldn't hurt.

TypicalGC7 likes this.
  9. TypicalGC7

TypicalGC7 New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Tried doing a restore today but I didn't have any that was from a year ago before Windows downloaded the updates. I'm using Windows 7 Home unfortunately :(

The worst case scenario of course is to just click that "restart now" button and hope it doesn't upgrade to Win10. I most likely deleted the installation files already when I did the disk cleanup so I'm not sure if it's going to cause some problems. The best case scenario after pressing the restart button would be it doesn't upgrade and just install some normal updates. Of course, I'm still optimistic that there's a way to fix this >.<