1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

ELI5 Lycan changes

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by ILLUSETSUNA, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Bargh

Bargh Member

Jul 28, 2009
    On the other side I think Lycan is one of the strongest heroes atm. Howl is pretty much Chen's heal on 30s cd at night.

2. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    u wot mate?
    his fucking life/usefulness depends on his ult, so any delay in that regard is ofc a pretty big deal. especially in fighting oriented meta. besides his ult is just trashed in so many ways (CD, BAT, cirtical, no HP boost) that the delay seems outright laughable. i mean what for? why make something shitty even shittier?! frog logic.

originally the reason for this retarded delay mechanism aswell as the heavy CD tweak was to done down split/pushing abilities, since meta back then was heavily oriented towards it and lycan was pretty much top pick/ban. but the change is just not contemporary anymore.
    actually it seems that frog even acknowledges this problem, thats why he gave him a long ass ult duration @ lv 25 to kinda make up for this. while this is not a bad idea it certainly doenst help one bit, cuz most of the time he wont reach lv 25 in games anyway.

3. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    like I said, you are A) trolling because it's not a heal, and B) making it sound like it's a big deal when it's not really.

Not unless you're either allying with or facing a goddamn Balanar. Otherwise, it's gonna be a "oh yeah right, let's run into Lycan at night when Howl's at its best" ability.

he's still a mediocre hero at best.

4. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    He was only nerfed when he was good in the meta. His critical during shapeshift is stronger than before, and howl at night time is stronger than the HP he ever gained in his ultimate. Attack speed is slightly irrelevant on the hero as he is meant to chase things. Having 650 movement speed and high damage is what is more important. On top of that his regen gained from feral spirit now makes him less reliant on regen items, saving him thousands of gold in the early game allowing for a more fight oriented build.

His current state is far better than last patch. A delay is not a big deal when the enemy doesn't see you transform. It only matters when your team consists of things like Magnus that require you to act on your initiation immediately, but that isn't the strength of Lycan. He is one of the few carries that can just run to the back line and kill supports without much trouble.

The only thing keeping him from being picked in competitive is the fact that he can't manfight heroes like Luna, Juggernaut, and Lifestealer in the midgame (though he can easily tear them apart if they are alone).

They've been pushing him to be more of a fighter for a long time, adding crit to his summons and lowering his BAT. He is actually very good at straight up fighting, people just never built toward doing that and opted for splitpush despite its nerfs.

I've made a few posts about alternate Lycan builds that focus on Echo Sabre and Deso instead of Vlads and Necro. I've seen Arteezy also use a build like that to some success in the past. Though they were used in non-competitive games.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    MrFrank likes this.
  5. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Someone doesn't understand the math I just posted.

6. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Someone doesn't understand that's not about "the maths".

7. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Someone doesn't understand basic arithmetic. It's okay, it's not required that you pass elementary school to play dota.

8. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Someone doesn't A) understand this is not about "basic arithmetic" and B) read.

you really, really need to go back to your basic school instead of babbling nonsense here.

9. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Nah, I got a PhD in engineering, the math is fine bro.

10. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    That would be preposterous, a PhD for a schmoo who can't even read for shit.

Unheard of.

11. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Engineers suck at math, though

Source: I'm an engineer :cat:

12. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    They don't suck at maths, they suck at reading skills though.

13. terrorbringer

terrorbringer Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Well for the topic Lycan is a Balanar with worse ganking stuff instead of this he is teamfighting once he gets his first item.

14. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Even though the current form of Howl works well with/against Balanar, his main abilities Shapeshift and Wolves suck so much.

15. BornFromAGrave

BornFromAGrave Member

Apr 17, 2014
    New HotD suits him better then the former when you are ratting

16. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Vlads is still better than current HotD for ratting and just in general.

17. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Clan_Iraq showed a long time ago that Vlads is inferior to Hotd for ratting. Now it's even worse.

So the burden of proof is on you to show that Lycan + Vlads takes down a tower faster than HoTD + a converted lane creep.

18. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    I can't imagine how Vlads is inferior to the new HotD for ratting, much less the OLD one.

Vlads just provides more benefits, specially armor and lifesteal. That helps your whole creepwave come alive to push the tower, not just you and your wolves. Current HotD works more or less based on how lucky you were to find an alpha wolf or maybe red hellbear.

19. BornFromAGrave

BornFromAGrave Member

Apr 17, 2014
    How much life does a creep steal compared to the regen? Does he leech 240 HP per creep wave? That would be 1600 dmg.

And why do you think so onesided? There are more then just 2 good creeps...

And what prevents you to get both?

20. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    "I can't imagine" isn't an argument.