1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Attribute Gain

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by Daddy Sven, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I'd like to suggest making stat gaining more dynamic, this way helping to balance out certain heroes who'd otherwise depend on their talent tree too much.

Dynamic attribute gain is not something which can occur from one level to another but instead has at least a 5 level gap.

Quick example: Anti Mage's current str gain is 1.2, with attribute spiking/downgrading it will be.

From lv2 to lv6 str gain of 2 (He'll have 4 more str or 80more HP by lv6)
    from lv7 till lv 11 str gain of 0.4 (or 0.8 in which case he'd have 2 more str by lv11)
    from lv12 onward str gain of 1.2

2. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    I think this will bring unnecessary complexity to the game. IMO, ihe only benefit of this is to further boost early/midgame, which is already crazy.

Unless there's a point I'm missing of this.

3. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    With the introduction of talents, heroes were made to have certain power spikes. In some cases a bit too drastic, as to compensate for their poor attributes. In the past, you could go for a few early levels of the attributes ability, which heroes like AM, CM and others would benefit quite a bit. With dynamic attribute gains, heroes who are too weak during the lanning stage can be adjusted, without altering their abilities, while heroes who are too strong can have the reverse effect. Talents will still be power spikes, but their values and the values of abilities won't have to be altered none stop in order to compensate for a hero's weak point in very specific 10 min of the game.

4. Z01d

Z01d Member

Feb 26, 2014
    I don't think introducing new variables is going to solve the problems of certain heroes better than just tweaking the existing concepts.
    The current patch has an extremely weird tempo which I would expect to change anyway after the next major.
    A similar idea occurred to me recently as well but in the end I still think it's like the talent tree a lazy and imagination free way to balance.

5. TheArsonist

TheArsonist Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Don't know how this might hold up, but for the levels of 17,19,21,22,23,24 where there's nothing to do than gain your per-level stats we can also gain 6 attribute points that could be put wherever we want (6 Str, 3 Str/3 Agi, 2/3/1 etc.)
    This could be done earlier too as with +2 all stats before.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  6. MindTrickZ

MindTrickZ Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I tried to fix this with my suggestion and even giving to talent tree more versatility.

7. Wrooks

Wrooks Member

Feb 26, 2010
    So if I understand this correctly...you want drow ranger to go from 26 + 1.9 agi to 26+ 2.2?

8. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    No. To give another example:
    From Lv1 till Lv8 2.2 Agi Gain
    From lv8 onward 1.9 Agi Gain

^Again, that's just an example and not an actual value proposal.

9. Skurai

Skurai Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I know wat u mean and but i like the idea of the power spikes. For example, u now have a choice to be more defensive or offensive via a talent, etc. U get to shape your hero better. U choose a strong point. For example u choose magic amplification over magic resistance...so u now have stronger magic dmg but a weak point, that is not so good resistance.