1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Does it pain you that Dota is no longer WC related?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by F. E. A. R., May 15, 2018.

1. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I recently thought about this because I was watching WoW lore related videos, so I wanted to ask. Do you really miss playing with Illidan or Arthas or any other hero that was used in Dota? The Base Defense "Sentinel vs Scourge". The Cenarius horn sounding when the round starts? The Name and Titles of the heroes?

It pains me that we never got see WarCrafts heroes in Dota with better graphics. It's just that Blizzards character design epic. I think this is what also made Dota perfect back in the day not just gameplay.

Maybe, just maybe if Blizzard weren't such faggots, we could've gotten Dota with WarCrafts heroes with better graphics. It just saddens me to see WarCrafts heroes used in a shitty game called "Heroes of the Storm" and not in Dota, but it also pains me that Valve doesn't do a very good job at designing better hero models.

Well in the end I have to say that Blizzard lost something big, sure they may still make money out of WoW, but Dota has surpassed every game in money making that exists. Since we got the role selection that we always wanted to, I hope that Valve will redesign most of the heroes so that they will be better looking, also the lane creeps and jungle creeps, and the stupid terrain that gets more brighter with every stupid patch. Dire doesn't look Dire anymore.

2. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Don't mind it a lot. Dota 1's story was bare at best, but still enjoyable. It was't based on any Warcraft story line, which meant that it could've been easily incorporated into Dota 2 with just a few name changes. Sadly that wasn't the case and we ended up with edgy one dimensional fluff.

This easily tops any attempt at world building made in D2.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    F. E. A. R. likes this.
  3. Abdulink

Abdulink Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Well it pains me many of the models are utter crap compared to the WC3 ones, but lore wise? Arthas and Illidan weren't even in DotA technically, they were different characters.

Still, the Scourge vs Dire was more interesting than the generic Dire/Radiant thing Valve opted for and the hero lores incorporated the Scourge vs Dire struggle far better.

4. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
    no.
    Present blizzard is fucking trash anyway.

5. Abdulink

Abdulink Member

Aug 8, 2010
    There's an excellent Illidan model mod for Dota 2 that I use, you should get it.

6. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    Cosmetically the only thing I miss was the old Lycan wolf form model.

on second thought scratch that, I miss how strong he was.

7. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Lycan was incredibly OP but no one used him to his full potential...

Instant shape-shift, super tanky wolves.

8. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    The story was fan made but still better than todays garbage we got.

Illidans model was used while the model of Arthas wasn't. It was a Death Knight with Arthas voice. I still wonder today why Arthas model was never used.

They suck because Activision bought them. But that's all I know.

Nah I'm over with modding Dota.

9. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Water Closet

MrFrank likes this.
  10. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    What do you mean by Arthas' model wasn't used? Of course it was, he was Omni. Death Knight Arthas was Abaddon. The only unused Arthas model was the one he had right after grabbing Frostmourne.

Paladin Arthas = Omniknight
    Paladin Arthas (with Frostmourne) = unused
    Death Knight Arthas = Abaddon

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  11. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Nope, that was a generic Death Knight

12. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I meant the Death Knight version not the Paladin one. It was just a Death Knight with Arthas voice. Arthas Death Knight model was never used.

13. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    I don't remember that. I clearly remember that even the unit portrait for Abaddon was a "corrupted" version of Omni/Paladin Arthas' portrait. It was something like this:

[​IMG]

And this is the unit portrait for the "regular" Death Knight hero unit. Never used for Abaddon afaik.

[​IMG]

They probably edited the portraits/models, but whatever. In the end, all the WC3 hero units (even the neutral ones, which you hired at the taverns) were meant to represent all the characters from the WC3 story/campaign. Thus, the Death Knight was Death Knight Arthas. In a multiplayer game they are assigned random names, but they're still meant to represent those characters.

Also, all these portraits and/or models might have been changed/updated in the Frozen Throne expansion for WC3, though I'm not sure on that.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  14. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Never cared for warcraft lore tbh. But I don't particularily like the TF2 vibe they try to give heroes in their comics, either.

Still though, having original lore is nice. Some like Clinkz's are also quite good.

MrFrank likes this.
  15. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    HeroDeathKnight(editor name) model and EvilArthas(editor name) model share the same base, but have several differences.
    HeroDeathKnight has blue skin, no eyes, beard and uses a generic rune Sword. EvilArthas has pale white skin, eyes, wields Frostmourne and his portrait is viewed at a different camera angle.

F. E. A. R. likes this.
  16. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    The model is just edited. Blizzard where to lazy to design a whole new Death Knight.
    Exactly.

17. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    So that's why... well I'd imagine they did the same thing with every hero unit.

18. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Yup. Shandris Feathermoon is based on Sylvanas. Well it's just the color is changed that's all. However both Sylvans and Shandris have the same attack animation as the elven archers. Bandits for an example are based completely on the Footman model, completely with the Defend animation on them. No natural bandit creep has Defend, however you can program this. The Acolyte uses the same skin as Sludge/Slime minions, and I don't know why, but it could be an example of artist laziness. I'm not a skinner so I don't know.

19. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    My guess would be lack of resources, as they were working on both WoW and Starcraft Ghost at the same time.