1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Do cosmetic items slow down game server?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by RNGeezus, May 26, 2018.

1. RNGeezus

RNGeezus Member

Nov 18, 2014
    So if you think about this do you think that cosmetic items on DOTA servers can cause the game servers to process inputs at a slightly slower pace than versus non cosmetics? Personally find that the game servers are a little laggy sometimes but more often than not the servers are fine, but occasionally when I play on different regions I noticed that sometimes items do not register in the correct order or they do not activate at all. Is there a maximum amount of input set of data server can accept within a certain frame?

Where do you think that if you play on a hundred plus peeing sometimes that if you Button Mash it doesn't always register?

2. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    I don't know for sure about that. I'd imagine if the players in a match have lots of cosmetics with many animations, ambient effects and other custom effects the first thing that would fall to the floor would be the frames per second, but not necessarily pings. That would mean that if you had a top notch graphics card you wouldn't have trouble at all because the card would cope with all those visual effects. I doubt the pings would be affected, because even if you don't own the cosmetic hats in question your computer already has access to them, and you can already see them anyway as long as you have the game updated (and you can't play if that's not the case ). And there is always 10 players in a match, unless some of them disconnect, and then again that would HELP the server instead of giving it more troubles.

What I DO know is that the game itself always had like an input delay and the Spring Cleaning update made it worse.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    why the fuck

4. Leadblast

Leadblast Member

May 31, 2010
    like I should know why. Or like it matters why. What matters is that there is a stupid delay, and affects us everytime anyway.

5. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    The answer to thread title is: No. Cosmetics are nothing more than a loading variable that all clients broadcast and receive at (or rather before) the loading screen. The server doesn't give a rat's ass whether your character is wearing a string or a thong, all it does is observe the gamerules and process player inputs.

MrFrank likes this.
  6. Thaelesk

Thaelesk New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    The cosmetics will slow down the GPU of your machine. Some items/heroes require a freaking worstation GPU to process them instead of a gaming GPU. I set the slider to 2/4 because the glowing items and heroes with enough animations to make Michael Bay's Transformers pale in comparison (I'm looking at you Jakiro). Or you could try running dota in a lobby and use the -wtf cheat and spam tons of items/spells and have the FPS counter enabled in the settings to monitor and set the slider to where it won't cause you problems.

I'm running a gtx 1070 on a LG UHD 27" monitor as well so the game just looks 2x better even on low settings thanks to more pixels. Still waiting for that true 4k graphics card Nvidia *wink*. They say the 1080ti is the best option for 4k but that's what they said about the 1070 when it came out. Oh lawdy!

7. slipkwar

slipkwar Member

Dec 11, 2009
    With that card you shouldn't have problems at all...

8. Thaelesk

Thaelesk New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I'm using the Founders Edition so it's all stock, was only a 350 dollar card. That's hardly impressive to current standards. Tons of people agree the 1080ti is the bare minimum for 4k gaming. It shows DOOM benchmarks at 80-90 FPS and you gotta lower that about 15 FPS because not all areas are equal. Some DOOM maps are just going to slow down GPU because they have a lot more visuals than the first levels which are usually used in demos and don't have much detail. Once you hit level 3 you start to see a huge difference: molten lava pouring, fire splashing, sparks flying, lights flickering and moving, fans spinning. Now add on top of that 10 demons trying to smash your face into the ground and you have GPU lag easily. On level 1 you have a painted background that doesn't do anything, its just mountains. And oh look most of the people writing reviews for the 1070 benchmarks and 1080ti benchmarks only go by the early levels. So like I said eariler, lower that by 15 frames and yes the 1080ti barely runs Doom 2016 on a 4k screen on ultra graphics settings at a solid 60 frames. The 1070 runs it at 40 to 55 frames on Ultra and it looks terrible and sucks during game play.

Now back to Dota:
    Going from 120 to 90 every time I pan over certain heroes and cosmetics then on top of that a 10 man teamfight breaks out puts me around 60-120 FPS. Now 60FPS on a 4k screen isn't bad for some games but IMO for dota it just looks choppy because you have 40-80 different spells going off. 10 heroes, up to 4 abilities each, and up to 6 items slots. 60 FPS for 80 actions looks like crap.