1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Disabling Spells

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by fdghg, Nov 16, 2017.

1. fdghg

fdghg Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I am brainstorming about how to improve the current system for disabling spells. There are 4 kinds of spells (unit/item, passive/active). The current system only deals with 3 of them, using 3 different statuses. I think ideally all 4 would be utilized, but using only 2 statuses instead of a 4th (which i think is too cluttered).

I would like some feedback on this subject in general and my specific ideas. I'm wondering which idea is overall better, assuming you could make reasonable changes to accommodate them.

Current:
    • Silence - Active unit spells
    • Break - Passive unit spells
    • Mute - Active item spells
    • (None) - Passive item spells

Idea 1:
    • Silence - Active spells (unit and item)
    • Break - Passive spells (unit and item)

The naming/logic in this one makes the most sense... If you didn't know, silence refers to stopping a spell from being spoken (spells are supposedly cast like this), while break refers to breaking a spell (which was already cast and persists).

The problem here might be needing to counter play/defend silences with only passive spells. I guess you could just buy linkens, use BKB before fights start, use status resistance, buy disc etc. But would probably need some rebalancing and at least 1 new/remade item to counter silences. I think break would be fine though.

Idea 2:
    • Silence - Unit spells (active and passive)
    • Mute - Item spells (active and passive)

The naming/logic makes less sense in this one... Not sure if you should need to really talk continually for a passive spell to stay going, and you need to use a synonym of silence, but whatever.

Overall this way should be a lot more balanced currently. Both the current silence and mute get buffed, since they now disable passives. Again silences are the bigger deal here, but in this case i don't think it's really op. Sure a few carries will lose their crit or whatever, but i think only bristle and pa would be hit very hard. I don't think mute would be a problem.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017