1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Courier delivery behavior

Discussion in 'Visual & Gameplay Ideas' started by HHHNNNGGG, Feb 2, 2018.

1. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I would like to propose an improvement on courier delivery, especially when multiple couriers are no longer allowed.

Long story short, upon clicking on "Deliver all items in stash" or "Deliver items to heroes", the courier will automatically queue the order and choose the fastest way to deliver items to all queued recipients instead of overriding the order.

summer-penguin likes this.
  2. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    The problem is that pro players and their teams all share the understanding that there are some positions and priorities to be respect in delivering, and that it is easier (and better) for in-game tactics to have the players in such need simply overwriting previous courier commands.
    Or else, whenever you need that fast Bottle for a fast recovery, or that BKB ready for the imminent battle, you'd need your teammate(s) first to cancel their orders. (wards, and perhaps a Bracer, can wait a little)
    It is indeed quite impractical.

That being said, I'd love to have couriers working just the way you described in pubs - where this kind of advanced team coordination in response to the acquirement or need of items hardly exists.
    But that is the single reason why I think couriers are not yet working like this.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That being said, it is easy to cancel this behavior. This behavior only occurs if you use the two functions I listed above. Just by pressing S to cancel the order, any player can monopolize the courier for the moment, then right-click on the courier icon to resume the previous order.

By giving courier a "proper brain" it will ease up a lot of trivial things, and since it is purely AI calculation it is somewhat "fairer" than trying to wretch control of the courier.

summer-penguin likes this.
  4. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Very true.