1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Chen 7.00

Discussion in 'Meta-Game Discussion' started by ManOnTheCan, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    I think that Chen is pretty good for this meta as a roaming/jungling position 4 support. What I'm wondering about is how the introduction of the new HOTD and his talents may change his build from the traditional arcanes-mek-aghs-greaves build that is was typical of 6.88.

I've seen a few Chens rushing HOTD (which 4 doesn't though..). It makes sense- if Chen is good with 4 creeps, he is even better with 5. Moreover, the hotd creep benefits from Chen being able to call it in from the other side of the map, and his global heal. So you can potentially have 5 creeps pushing on the other side of the map, and then call them in to push somewhere else.

So, HOTD-arcanes-mek-aghs-greaves? Or HOTD-arcanes-mek-aghs-dagon-greaves? I've noticed top Chen players pick up dagon every once in a while.

2. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Dagon and Test of Faith build plus 25% spell amp talent at level 15 is most definitely the way to play this hero.

3. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Is that the build now? Just straight first item dagon? How many points into conversion before maxing test of faith and penitence?

Also I guess creep-wise one can get a satyr, a troll healer, a kobold, and a harpy, for 300 extra damage, bonus Regen, and 1800 night vision.

4. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Nah, I was mostly joking, but its far more viable now to be honest.

I think you play similarly, in fact, he should definitely aggro jungle now and harass safelane and steal bounty runes. Item build is the same.

5. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    With hotd everyone becomes Chen with a super creep now. Very sad.

6. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Chen actually becomes a huge threat at 25. With +2 creeps he can steal another 2 ancients. Having something like golem thunderhide 3 dragons and a wolf gives your team 15% HP, +9 armor, 15 attack speed, and 30% damage. Not only that, but those ancients can defend high ground alone with that kind of tankiness.

7. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Wait, you can steal 5 ancients at level 25?

8. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    No it doesn't affect max amount ancient creeps, which equals your hand of god level. I think Blarrgh was just confused.
    Still, the new Helm is so good. It increases the creeps speed significantly, with any movementspeed buff they become racecars while Chen's creeps are just so slow. I think the +2 neutrals talent is terrible, you'll lose them before you can amass such an army and just setting the speed of controlled neutrals to 425 is so much better.

Enchantress is also hurt by other supports getting their free neutral, but atleast her talents provide a meaningful alternate build (her heal becomes so good) whereas Chen's is just a meme.

9. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Ya I was mistaken, I thought I saw 4 ancients being controlled in a Chen game at ESL.

Regardless, you can have 3 ancients + wolf + kobold + ogre to grant insane boosts.

10. Redeemed A.I.

Redeemed A.I. Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I've seen only one chen in unranked.Have you seen juggernaut or some other agility carry making dominator then proceed destroying the tower with the super tanky creep,the high aoe regeneration and nice attack speed?Now imagine this on Chen. The guy/girl made a dominator and proceeded to destroy each and every tower by ~15 minutes mark.Without aoe spells it seemed impossible to attack that hero.
    And once you made the aghanim's and manage to get the new ancient,it's almost impossible to defeat that guy.

11. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    HotD creeps are so much better than Chen creeps.