1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'World News & Debate' started by mapdesigner, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jabutosama

Jabutosama Member

Apr 15, 2015
    @r0xo I meant with escaping, in instant you realize the crime is done, to run away.

Yeah, scandinavian prisons are not dirty holes, more like little-less-clean asylums. You can get even some of your stuff in, but it actually feeds the wish to be free again.

2. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Inb4 "prisoners are stealing American people's jobs" tho.

3. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    It turns out it's really expensive going through all the legalities of killing someone.

At least, it's expensive in countries where rule of law and due process are respected. I'm sure it's very cheap to kill people in undeveloped countries.

4. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    The drugs they administer to inmates on death row are extremely expensive. They are not only just the drugs to kill them, but drugs to make their body feel good while they are dying. The reason its done is because its considered more humane this way. On top of that, in the US, inmates on death row sometimes take several years until its their turn, so to speak. During those years, they are basically in a more expensive prison, waiting to die.

5. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Also IIRC it takes longer for the court to decide the death punishment. Extra tax dollahs get wasted there.

6. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    @@
    @ManOnTheCan
    @lovestep
    @Nezekan
    @Blarrg
    @IHateLeavers
    @others

Hello,

I have 2 Q's

1-) How would insure that criminals will not escape jail and not commit murder again?

Are there studies showing what % does escape and how many % commit crime again? And what % commits murder again.

2-) I heard some ppl on the net arguing against jail is becuz jails are bad and not the best place to "rehabilitate". They also argued that many youngesters master crime and drug dealing, learning in the jail from their sceniors; i.e., that many of drug dealers have "graduated" from the jail and since their earlier crime wasnt sever, they got out pretty quickly, but only after making connections and how to go about drug dealing. Also, they said lot of rape happens in jail.

What do you all think of the above?

7. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Whatever the hourly rate of a single armed mercenary is (+ an optional bullet) no doubt :cat:

Though it would be interesting to gather such statistics to get a rough odea of where it is most commonly used

8. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Prison isn't a rehabilitation center, its punishment. Punishment for such actions is fair, and I think going pure rehabilitation is absolutely moronic.

Having both is fine, and finding a balance between the two is a challenge that isn't easy to solve quickly.

mapdesigner likes this.
  9. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010

Well... the more into dictatorship a country is, I'm sure that the quicker the procedure for death penalty becomes. I'm sure that in such countries, using death squad would be a lot cheaper than using poison.

In my country it is normal practice to kill deathrow inmates within two to six months with little chance for appeal. On the other hand, in Japan, it is normal for inmates to stay for five to a dozen years, and there was a case that a guy was able to die from old age after staying for 32 years.

10. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Ah, yeah that was actually pretty obvious. Don't know why I missed that.

Much like the above part. Just totally forgot those two things. It is strange that the drugs are so expensive though. I assumed they aren't super cheap but weird that they are really expensive. And I understand that they are the most humane, probably the only humane one actually.

11. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    It's not so strange when you consoder the research overhead for such drugs. Killing somone with drugs easy; doing so in a way that is both quick and humane, is not.

12. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Turns out literally poisoning people fucking hurts :cat:

13. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Yeah that's true. But they have been around for a really long time. But they probably improve them with time. Which I think is necessary since it is not unheard of for the one that knocks you out first to not work properly. Leaving you conscious and unable to move or react while you go through this slow, painful, terrifying death.

14. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    I won't speak about my opinion about the capital punishment, would instead advice you to research the circumstances (of the country) of the political and cultural differences your opponent in this debate has.

Someone from central Europe, highly developed economy, nearly non-existent severe crimes (intentional manslaughter, until now while no one actually talked I don't think that they would count unintentional incidents deserving a death sentence). He might be against the execution for different reasons, highly valuing the moral behind the decision and/or because he was never actually encounter a case of that magnitude and his only news are from the TV.
    On the other hand, punishing those crimes might seem completely fine, because it will affect very few people which are very far away from the norm.

A person from country which political regime is very close to dictatorship and the government abuse it's power to hunt people of opposition and to aid their personal goals - he might be against it, because of that.

A forum member from US where the whole court and prison system is severely flawed for a developed country, yet it's still very law-abiding country where crimes are far from common occurrence, especially in the rural areas - he might have his reason to be for or against etc.

Another one looking at the Middle East and the countries where the laws are strongly influenced by their religion (namely conservative Islam), the capital punishment is used against people which 'crimes' are not even treated/categorized as such in the rest of the world. He would have completely different opinion and reasoning.

So when a lot of you are arguing, they are thinking of their surroundings (be it country or continent) and discard the huge difference the other party in the debate is experiencing himself.

15. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    It is funny that Philippines actually abolished capital punishment.

16. Petique

Petique Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Then how are vigilante groups allowed to kill random drug addicts on the street?

17. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    IIRC Duterte called the campaign off recently

18. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That isn't counted as capital punishment :cat:

It is kind of like you are free to shoot down criminals during a raid if criminals resist. In this case, you don't need a reason aside from the fact that they deal drugs.