1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

C+ Programming- Intro to

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by DotaDestroyer, Mar 16, 2018.

1. DotaDestroyer

DotaDestroyer Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ``

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Have you tried talking to other people in class?

3. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    ^
    Solid idea!

Best way to learn is to do the assignments, compiler should help you a lot, else the internet has a lot of resources. It is extremely likely someone has already had the same issue as you had and asked around.

4. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I'll do all your homework for you. The twist is that I'm going to obfuscate the code so much that the professor will know you definitely didn't write it and you cheated.

Also I want $50 per assignment. :cat:

5. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Yeah, you can learn a whole lot from https://stackoverflow.com, plus there are many obscure coding subreddits with very useful materials, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

But for an intro class, a textbook and classmates should be more than enough. And the homework can't be that difficult, either.

6. DotaDestroyer

DotaDestroyer Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ```

7. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    How do you know that every single person in your class is stupid?

I mean, you are asking strangers for help on a random forum. What we are also kinda stupid? :cat:

8. DotaDestroyer

DotaDestroyer Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ``

9. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I'm sure you will find even better people on a c++ forum or any forum dedicated to programming. So far I'm concluding you aren't trying anything yourself and want others to do your work for you. If you would have come up with a question someone here might be able to help you, but a more specialized forum has better chances obviously, and it might give better instructions too.

10. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    And to add to that, why would experienced programmers waste their time with someone at the 'hello world' stage of their programming journey?

Think about it: would you coach someone in DotA, if all that person did was install the game? Would you really go over buying items in the shop or last-hitting, when these are the basics you need to have down before actually thinking about the strategy?

On the other hand, your classmates are in the same boat as you, and some are probably smarter than you, too. There is this story that Mark Zuckerberg approached many classmates about starting Facebook, and many people laughed at him, but guess who is laughing now? (and yes, I am cherrypicking an exceptional case, but the point here is that you should have some humility and not think that everyone in your class is an idiot because it is simply not so)

11. Subway

Subway Member

Jun 12, 2009
    For starters it is C++....

#include only what you use
    using namespace std; is noob
    use std::

ZealotCatfish likes this.
  12. DotaDestroyer

DotaDestroyer Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Look you guys are way over-complicating this. I just wanted to trade Dota lessons for some programming advice/information gather. Of course I could go to a programming thread, but the LAST thing a programming board wants is intro to C advice thread. Additionally they already have stickied threads that have basic information, but I just want to actually talk about it rather than stare at text.

I came here because I've been on Playdota forever, and there just so happens to be a programming sub-forum.

w/e forget it!

13. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Here's your first assignment for free

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    main() {
      long long P = 1,
                E = 2,
                T = 5,
                A = 61,
                L = 251,
                N = 3659,
                R = 271173410,
                G = 1479296389,
                x[] = { G * R * E * E * T , P * L * A * N * E * T };
      puts((char*)x);
    }

14. vorsybl

vorsybl Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Sup bro, where's a good place to start?

15. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    CodeBlock is probably the best free compiler out there. Or maybe it is just France.