1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

[C++] Are there any good C++ tutorials out there?

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by ZealotCatfish, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ZealotCatfish

ZealotCatfish Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Title says it all. However, I do prefer it if it's in book form, mostly because I'm trying to rest my eyes more.

2. Eli_Green

Eli_Green Member

Oct 29, 2013
    >Book

Can't really help you there m8.

3. Clueless

Clueless Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I always read programming problems in my android phone especially C++
    Just search programming hub.

Or... just buy a book.

4. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup is a good read for novices as he's the guy who made the language, you could probably find a ebook download of it somewhere for free.

5. Ninjerk

Ninjerk Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Do you have any experience with C? It might be useful to grab a copy of Kernighan & Richie [sic?] ANSI C and give it a whirl, because C++ is quite informed by aspects/limitations of C and procedural programming in general.

ZealotCatfish likes this.
  6. ZealotCatfish

ZealotCatfish Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Well thanks for the info :lol:

Making note of both books, hoping I can get around to both at the very least, and because C++ is the language I chose to learn for AP Comp Sci., I should be able to.

7. Fomalhaut b

Fomalhaut b New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    I would also recommend learning C, if not to help you get a better grasp for C++ later. While C++ is not a strict superset of C, in many ways it is. K&R may have some approaches that are now antiquated, but it is perhaps the most elegant, concise text I've read on a programming language. That's just my opinion, but I know many that think the same. As far as C++, http://www.learncpp.com/ has a good deal of information. There is also this if you're a more experienced programmer (https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++/). Also, check out the StackOverflow Documentation Beta (http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/c++/topics). They're making an effort to improve documentation for languages by providing tons of examples. It is community built, but I'm sure C++ has a decent number of topics covered so far. That's about all I know. I really love C, and dislike C++. Therefore, I never got around to finding the best resources for it.

8. FlaMe

FlaMe Moderator Staff Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I think every programmer should learn C at some point in their education. You are still young so you have lots of time to explore and study new things. Don't worry too much about what you choose right now, there are clearly too many options and it's easy to get overwhelmed.

If you have to do it for school, then go ahead with C++, else I would recommend learning C first, because can learn it quickly and it will teach you some very important CS, programming principles that extend to other languages as well. Like others said, K&R is a very concise and beautiful book and there are some top quality resources to learn C (Harvards CS50x).

Oh and also, one day you might find yourself having to learn CUDA for gpu computing, or wanting to program embedded systems and you'll be glad you learned C.

ZealotCatfish likes this.