1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know how to fix 100% disk usage?

Discussion in 'Tech & Programming' started by Maxi100a, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Maxi100a

Maxi100a New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    My computer constantly has 100% usage

I've already checked my hard drive for errors and it says it's fine, any suggestions on how to fix?

2. minhogang

minhogang Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Could be a malware issue. Also if you're using a laptop try hard disk usage under Choose a power plan>advanced settings to 99% and see if there's improvement.

3. D' Eradicated

D' Eradicated Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Have you checked the Task Manager to see what's taking up the 100%?

4. CvP

CvP Member

May 17, 2009
    Go to task manager > more details > Processes > Short by Disk Usage

Go to Performance Tab > Select the disk with 100% usage > Note down the Read/Write Speed and Active time.

Two screenshots would be nice.

Also, does it happen all the time or during certain actions?

5. SamuelVerner

SamuelVerner New Member

Jan 1, 2016
    restart the computer in safe mode with networking (press f8 when start ?) and do a virus/malware scan. I recommend malware bytes to scan for malware. Download revo uninstaller and custom uninstall everything + delete the registry keys. Those are the software i often use.

6. minhogang

minhogang Member

Feb 4, 2013
    tfw a dota forum has more helping members than an actual tech forum

7. F. E. A. R.

F. E. A. R. Member

Jan 26, 2014
    1. I would say that formatting your computer would be the best option. It's highly possible that your computer has a virus.

After formatting, you should purchase Avast Premier and Malwarebytes. These two will keep your computer safe from threats. Of course you will always have to make a scan at least once in a month. I mean that's what I do.

You also didn't said what type of Windows you're using. 10/8/7/?

2. If you're using 10, then I suggest to follow these steps here: Disk usage always at 100% [Solved]. If this doesn't help, then you should go for the 1st option above.

8. Coldhands

Coldhands New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Try adjusting your page file

9. jopelao

jopelao New Member

Oct 8, 2016
    if you already tried looking for virus (i assume you have) and maybe tried formatting. You most probably have a failing HDD. Specially if it's a notebook (using them while moving, in a car, etc can cause these issues).
    Even if it says there are no problems. i myself was strugling trying to get why it said that in my case. it was on and off for some time. after like 3~4 months it was almost always present. i was very confused because every test i did would say the HDD was fine.
    One day i hit my pc accidently and i noticed the % was going down. i realised if i moved the hdd (making it vibrate) it was going down for a moment. then it became obvious. i know you really don't want to pay for an HDD unless you're 100% sure but if you already tried formatting and it's still happening it's probably that, specially on a notebook. I bough a new HDD and it's been fine for like a year.

EDIT: almost forgot at first i though it could be a bad connection. be sure to check that before. even if it was not my case i would recomend to check it

10. Senjougahara

Senjougahara Moderator Staff Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I have a friend who's had the same problem. Only in his case, the culprit was the Java runtime app. You can try using system restore if you've had restoration points. Also, if it's fairly recent, check your recently installed programs. Usually, one of those programs is causing the problem.

11. Lunerio

Lunerio Member

Aug 28, 2012
    CvP is the only person here with the correct way to solve this problem. Just guessing out of the blue it's malware and reinstalling Windows without investigating first or installing a questionable software (Revo uninstaller? What does it do better than the inbuilt uninstaller?) or doing something 100% completely unnecessary (deleting some registry keys. It does nothing, dammit) is an annoying task. And like every annoying task, it should be the last option (reinstall Windows) or not an option (like deleting registry keys).

And I should check the date posted because OP never came back for a month now. But, yeah... My point still stands.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016