1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Anime & Manga Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Discussion' started by Senjougahara, Sep 23, 2016.

1. John Denmar

John Denmar New Member

Mar 31, 2017
  2. invul_nerable

invul_nerable Member

Mar 13, 2010
    If you like "Your name", you might also like "A silent voice".

As for anime this 2017, you should try
    Saga of Tanya the Evil
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Attack on Titan Season 2

3. Freaky Alien Genotype

Freaky Alien Genotype Moderator Staff Member

Jul 11, 2009
    FTFY :cat:

4. Clear

Clear Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Can anyone give me some anime recommendations where the MC is an expert at what he does and the world is in a game or maybe some fantasy themed? Similar shows include SAO, King's Avatar, Log Horizon, Overlord and One Punch Man.

5. Clear

Clear Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Can anyone give me some anime recommendations where the MC is an expert at what he does and the world is in a game or maybe some fantasy themed? Similar shows include SAO, King's Avatar, Log Horizon, Overlord and One Punch Man.
    Looks pretty creepy man

6. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    If you can get past the wuxia-ish elements and the Chinese names, the story is supposedly really good. I couldn't get past the very strong Chinese cultural references so I dropped it. The manga is a lot better, and not done with dolls.

7. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I just watched No Game No Life: Zero (the movie) and man it is quite tearjerking there. It is just so good, and I love how Madhouse being faithful to original source.

Also kek.

Uhm... There is No Game No Life above.

There is also Mahouka though it is not about fantasy but rather magical sci-fi stuffs.

On the other hand most shits about OP MCs are mostly wish-fulfillment and not good stuffs.

8. adapt

adapt Member

Apr 30, 2011
    So everyone seems to be creaming themselves over Mahoutsukai no Yome this season and… I don't know, not feeling hooked onto it myself.

It's got some great moments but overall it's really nothing special. And this is coming from someone who's a great fan of classical fairy tales and Harry Potter.

9. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Read the manga, I can't be bothered to watch it either, feels too slow.

10. pohka

pohka New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    I started watching Blend S pretty good so far

11. Abstract.Raze

Abstract.Raze Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Looking Inuyashiki, Hiro Shishigami is such a hero while killing the bashing leftist liberal media in Japan <3 ! BANG BANG , DA DA DA DA DA DA DA ! it's like music for my ears, he was an artist but when he started to kill common citizens before and after, it depressed me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  12. adapt

adapt Member

Apr 30, 2011
    KEK Gigguk is so mad he didn't get into YouTube Rewind that he made his own Rewind.

EDIT: And apparently Gigguk's entire comment section got so mad that he didn't include Lost Pause in his Rewind vid that Gigguk ended up writing an entire explanation around it (which the Lost Pause fanboys did not like).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  13. asokaaso2

asokaaso2 Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Rise of the Nura Clan
    Mushibugyou

14. asokaaso2

asokaaso2 Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I love watching animes with OP main character. I hate watching those shounen anime that makes us wait for decades to get stronger and "power of friendship" thing.

1. Overlord
    2. One Punch Man
    3. Trigun

15. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Consider:

Mahouka Koukousei no Rettousei (Irregular at Highschool) - guy is not recognized for his combat skill as actual combat ability and tested magical ability in academic setting are different.
    GATE - this one has OP forces instead of main character being OP, but it gives off a similar feeling
    Mob Psycho 100 - from the same creator as One Punch Man, guy is OP at dealing with youkai-ish things
    Log Horizon - guy is OP, but the show mainly focuses more on PvE content (since it's mainly talking about the game world and develops on the world situation)
    Sword Art Online - Guy is solodude edgelordsupreme specifically created for self-insert illusion of being the fastestest and strongestest.

16. asokaaso2

asokaaso2 Member

Apr 26, 2014
    sadly i watched all those including NGNL

17. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Would suggest to the list of anime with already developed (strength-wise) characters for all of those who have not watched them:

The animated movie "Sword of the stranger",
    series of Demon Eyes Kyo (a.k.a. Samurai Deeper Kyo or Kyou Mibu) and Shura no Toki.
    The all time favorite (for those who somehow missed it) Hellsing and something which I perceive as a re-make from another author - Trinity Blood.

All of them are not on the levels of overpowering characters on par with One Punch Man or Mob Psycho, but they are not about the road to increase their power as the traditional Shōnen (Naruto/Bleach and the likes).

18. Mr. Foxxie

Mr. Foxxie Member

Apr 23, 2010
    There's a new anime about to air called Death March kara Hajimeru... something something, features OP main transported to another world (yes, it's that set up again), perhaps you could watch that one.

Nothing else in that setting really comes to mind.

19. asokaaso2

asokaaso2 Member

Apr 26, 2014

hmm i might try that one since it has the isekai wa smartphone vibe

20. ryan.wthxx

ryan.wthxx Member

Mar 4, 2012
    my god it's been years since i've decided to check these forums. is playdota anime & manga dead already? :'(