1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Alan, Master Thief from the East [WIP]

Discussion in 'Hero Ideas' started by dewouter, Feb 9, 2018.

1. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Parker, Master Thief from the East

[​IMG]

Melee - Roamer - Semi-Carry - Support

• ]
    • Alan learned to live with nothing and earn from others. At times he is so good at it, he makes more money than anyone else in the city. Sadly Alan sometimes doesn't get near anyone and his muscles get weaker, making it even harder to earn some money. He still might grab some rich guy and cripple him for his thieving friends. Alan might also require to use his magic boomerang,
      the one he stole from some old witch the other day. It's so pretty, even Alan can't stop looking at it at times.
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG].

+8 agility | 10 | +10% Pickpocket MS slow
        +300 vision | 15 | +1 gold per pickpocket stack
        + 50 accuracy | 20 | -5s boomerang cooldown
        +80 movespeed | 25 | Robbery has a 350 AOE Radius

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM
  2. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Q
    Pretty weak, feels like talent for BH's attack\abilities, not a standalone ability.

W
    xcuse me?
    Confusing description

R
    PD finest scourge - OP Anti-carry abilties.

3. dewouter

Oct 27, 2009
    The worst part is that you are completely right but that I can't come up with anything better. Not coming up with anything with the best possible draw is sad too though. Your honesty and early opinion is very appreciated though

4. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I dunno, that Q doesn't seem so weak early game to me. If it's physically "stealing" gold per hit, that is some reasonable nuisance to a chain stunned target just giving up all it's gold. It's worse than a death imo.

5. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    IMO
    Whole "Thief" (Thiefery?) theme was worn through long time ago. Its not like there nothing left to work with, but its:
    1) Either OP and\or doesnt fit in whole dota concept (rofl)
    2) Way too simple
    3) Hard to balance

6. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    He doesnt have a choice when it comes to the name though.

7. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm kinda on board this.. but not as in "it cannot be done".
    I gave the matter some thought a while ago and after seeing what dota has become, after seeing concepts like Invoker's, Rubick's, Zet's, Tinker's, Techies', Morph's, etc. working so damn well, I changed my position.
    I believe that hardly any conceptual idea can trully be either too hard to balance or too weird to fit the game.

A thief, for example.

You should not take titles or thematic ideas all that literally when drafting a concept.

An ability that mutes an inventory could easily suit a thief theme.
    Mute is already a part of the game, and yet it is only superficially explored.

A nuke that impedes the hero killed by it from buying back (like that old and removed part from Reaper's Scythe) could also suit the thief theme. (as one would not be able to use its own gold and buy back).

A scounting ability, of any sort, could, just as well. Like an invisible trap, that pings on the map, like our Radars do, whenever un-invisible enemy units step in.

Stealing a very small amount of gold on every hit is also perfectly balanceable, and easily suited either to a mid hero, or to a supp (a babysitter), that would most definitely go mid as well.

Also, a hero does not need to have all his four abilities limited to its theme and title.
    Why shouldn't a thief have access to some sort of invisibility? For example.
    Or summonings? Like a theif lord or something, calling out for his bandits. Simple summonings, good for pushing and lane controllability.

Stuff like that.
    I haven't even checked dew's actual hero. I only saw the small discussion that's going on here.
    I'll check it later.. but here there are some pretty useable ideas, imo.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    @summer-penguin
    Pure "thievery" abilities + themated hero is just bad and baaaad.
    Some kind of "Thief" themed lore is okay and welcomed.

You can also take "thievery" under different perspective.

Few(?) examples:

Lets start with ability name - Lost Legacy

What could it possibly do?

It could steal all chance based things from hero. Aka break that works on items (and abilities ofc)

Lorewise... it would sound like that:
    "Even the most powerful artifacts become a simple trinket exactly at the moment as they stop thinking of something as powerful."

Or as you said, it could simply mute items.

Lore:
    "Perhaps all the ancient relics look like beautiful trinkets in the hands of simpletons."

We can go even deeper...

Ability that forces enemy heroes to change or loss some basic things he had or was known for:

1. Main attribute, that would hurt most heroes. A LOT
    2. Attack Range (even if it would work only for range)
    3. Cooldowns penalty
    4. More and more.

And what if turn inside out all my stuff?

[​IMG]

Ability name - Remember the Legacy(Legacy Ascent?)

Enhances items\abilities in some ways. Additionally it may grant immunity to break\mute for some time.

For example - PA, it would enhance 1(1?) of her items and 1(1?) of her abilties to:

1) Items would have increased chance to proc, faster cd, etc.
    Abyssal Blade would grant either 20% damage reduction or 20% bonus status resistance or additional chance to bash and stun unaffected by status resistance.
    Mask of Madness would grant haste.
    etc.

2) Abilties
    Q, would create new ability - Spectral Dagger Throw (Spectre = PA Slacks theory in da house), with some very few rescales, but mainly it would create path that turns PA invisible and unrevealable for some time\until she does attack enemies.
    W, would create new ability, well, not new...- Phantom Dash, to put it simple - Morph's Waveform that gives attack speed and attacks heroes on her path.
    E, for example would make non-missed attack to deal less damage\have 0 crit chance\multiplier
    R, for example would... idk, theres too much variaty here. She could have Bloodseeker's Thrist, part that shows low hp units and reveals them.

Lorewise... hmhmhm....:
    "Even the most impossible peaks are achievable with the support of comrades." Sounds... clumsy. Do i care? Kappa

p.s.:
    OMG.
    I just dig new talent tree.
    Tried to make this ability\ultimate balanced and find out that if every hero would enhance abilties with talents, then this ability would be sooooo much easier to balance and implent.

For example.

Next big update "Aghanim's Ascendancy", with some lore and stuff on his ascendancy.

Main change: Every talent (even if they would be almost same as today, hopefully they wont even with this idea implented) would affect and upgrade abilties dependant on what path you choose (hopefully there would be more than 2 branches OR \ AND you can only choose 1 path)

And heres how this ability would work - It would give your targeted ally upgrade on a random ability talent he discard \ doesnt choose.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  9. dewouter

Oct 27, 2009
    So much discussion for so little content :coffee:

I guess I should dive deeper into what kinds of thieving there are.
    I went with the small melee range crimes like pickpocketing and mugging because that's easy.

I could also explore arcane thievery, stealing spells/mana/whatever. This could even be a hero without :int: and only having a way of using spells/items is to steal it from enemies.

I could make a thieving pet master, based on summons trained to steal things

10. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Not so much weak, as it is limited. The ability is in fact pretty strong, but it requires complimentary abilities to make it work. Smth like Sleight of Fist, Swashbuckle or Boundless Strike. Getting a few reliable attacks, at a safe distance.

However I'm not a fan of it as a whole. Reason being that balancing this would be a huge pain in the ass. On one hand it can either help you snowball too much and butcher a target's gold income or will be too weak to make any kind of difference.

Let me help stir up your creative juices. I challenge you to a little duel. We both have by the end of the weak, to create a complete Thief themed hero. After that we'll make a poll to see who wins.

If you win, I'll send you a gift over steam.

summer-penguin likes this.
  11. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    CTH, just got serious.

12. dewouter

Oct 27, 2009
    That's almost like challenging a crippled for a run, but sometimes the underdog wins. I'm in!

Daddy Sven and summer-penguin like this.
  13. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    That's the spirit!

My challenger is up. I'll be waiting for update on your guy.
    Gerald - Master Rogue (WIP)

14. dewouter

Oct 27, 2009